Placed 1st in My Age Group Today!

Options
So I set my PBPR (Post Babies Personal Record) in a 10K race this morning--47:29. My goal was to go sub 49:00 so when I blew that out of the water, I felt pretty proud. The race results were posted a bit ago and I learned that I won my age group! I just turned 40 a mere nine days ago, so it takes the sting out of passing that milestone. Had I run the same time at age 39, I would not have even earned a 3rd place award. I was also 20th out of 407 (top 5%) women overall, which makes me rather proud.

I was always a competitive runner growing up, but it has taken a lot of time after multiple knee injuries, having children and life in general to get back to a place where I am proud of my accomplishments. It feels good to set PR's and earn age group awards and fuel my competitive spirit. I'm super happy and this adrenaline rush might just get me through what promises to be one heck of a week.

Just wanted to share with others who can relate and/or benefit from a reminder of why we do what we do! Thanks for indulging me.

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! nice work!!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. What a solid time!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That is totally awesome - congratulations!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Lots of fit 35-39 year olds running that race, it sounds like!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work. BTW, you have every reason to feel proud of your accomplishment.
  • RunsSober
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment! Congratulations.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's seriously great time!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    happy-dance-.gif
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well done and keep up the good work :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Wow that's fast! I've set myself a target of running a sub-60 10k next year!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Congrats...very nice !
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My muscles are getting sore and my legs feel like lead, so I know that I definitely pushed hard this morning. I now have the confidence to train with greater focus and intensity for my next 10K so that I go into it with an ambitious goal and renewed competitive spirit. I forgot how great this feels! Silly, I know because winning isn't everything. But it sure is damn fun!!!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I forgot you were "new" to this age group. All you young'uns making it harder for us middle of the age group to win awards!! I actually feed on trying to beat the younger gals in my age group. My last half, while I placed 4th in my age group, I saw ladies in the 550-54 & 55-59 age groups run faster than the fastest 40-44 year old lady!! You just never know. You rocked it and you should be so proud!!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Congratulations and great work! :flowerforyou:
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    :smile: Congratulations.:smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    That's so brilliant.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So I set my PBPR (Post Babies Personal Record) in a 10K race this morning--47:29. My goal was to go sub 49:00 so when I blew that out of the water, I felt pretty proud. The race results were posted a bit ago and I learned that I won my age group! I just turned 40 a mere nine days ago, so it takes the sting out of passing that milestone. Had I run the same time at age 39, I would not have even earned a 3rd place award. I was also 20th out of 407 (top 5%) women overall, which makes me rather proud.

I was always a competitive runner growing up, but it has taken a lot of time after multiple knee injuries, having children and life in general to get back to a place where I am proud of my accomplishments. It feels good to set PR's and earn age group awards and fuel my competitive spirit. I'm super happy and this adrenaline rush might just get me through what promises to be one heck of a week.

Just wanted to share with others who can relate and/or benefit from a reminder of why we do what we do! Thanks for indulging me.

Sometimes you don't have to run faster, just outlast them :wink:

In your case you did both--great achievement :drinker:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on both your race performance and being a Badger fan!