Walking 30 minutes worth logging?

2»

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    How many calories do you enter for 30 mins walking just out of interest? Where do you get the number from?

I have an app on my Windows phone that calculates it based on my weight and the distance I walk in the time I'm walking. My daughter has a different app on her iPhone that does the same thing and they come out within a couple of calories of each other, so I log what my phone says. To log that number on MFP within 5 calories, I end up logging 5 minutes less time than I actually walked at the speed the phone calculates. It's close enough, since I don't eat back all of my exercise calories on most days.

Try logging it and eating them back for a week. Then next week log them but eat back half then eat back none the following week and see how you get on. Just a suggestion hope it helps!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    How many calories do you enter for 30 mins walking just out of interest? Where do you get the number from?

I use the 3.0 walking dog-moderate pace from the exercise options.
    I also track the distance with map my walk, which also gives me calories.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Interesting discussion. I made the decision not to log the routine walking I do in my daily life. I actually have about a 15 - 20 minute walk to and from the train station each day which I've stopped logging. My rationale was that I've been doing that walk for years and still gained weight and I also had no intention of eating back those calories (about 120) so what would be the point of logging it? Does this make any sense? Any extra walking that I do... At lunch or on weekends, I do log.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Net burn = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Sometimes I go for a walk just so I can eat more. Log it!

Guilty!!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Definitely log it! Slow walking, fast walking, aerobic walking, I log it all.

I don't necessarily trust pedometers, especially arm or wrist band ones, they'll log steps when you're standing still because your arm moved. I trust my general speed/intensity estimate and the time of the activity, that's it. But, I do not eat back all exercise calories because I assume there are over-estimates.

This is why i love my Suunto T3c. I have the GPS track POD accessory that tracks speed, distance very accurately.
  • suerop
    suerop Posts: 8 Member
    Absolutely! Log that as exercise! I think I was also over estimating the amount of calorie burn for my walks, so I found a simple, fairly inexpensive wrist heart rate monitor that would tell me what I was getting my heart rate up to, plus show my calorie burn for it. I found a MIO on sale for less than half price. It doesn't work in the pool, and I wish it did, but it does work out of the water. Check around for a bargain somewhere. Try Craig's list for a deal in your area. I would also ask others which monitor they like. And remember, they are all a little different, so find one that's inexpensive for your first one, and see if you like it. Keep Walking!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member

I wasn't aware of this formula. Thanks.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member

So...heart rate be damned? A leisurely walk at 2 miles an hour versus a fast run at 5 mph is the same as long as the distance is the same? Hmmm...
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    I have noticed that many people that I walk (or run/jog with) tend to WAY over estimate the pace that they walk. Normal pace is just shy of a 3.0mph and that is a 20 min/mile. I use a GPS watch to track my avg mph (the current always changes due to buildings, cloud cover..., so I just go by overall avg), distance and a whole bunch of other things depending on the settings I select. my GPS keeps me honest on the pace and I have my set distances for different locations I walk/run at to know my pace based on time elapsed also (measured by GPS, by car, and by the wheel thing). Try tracking your actual time for a known distance (measured and verified) and then you know your pace. Use this link...http://www.arkansasrunner.com/calculators/mileperhr.htm to get you mph pace. I love it and it keeps me honest with my GPS as I have the distance and speed my GPS says, and I check it by the distance and time it took me and the website tells me my pace.

But overall EVERYTHING is worth logging, that's the whole point of this program is to account for everything you do and eat so you can get to where you want to be.
  • Mr_Knight

So...heart rate be damned?

Yep.
    A leisurely walk at 2 miles an hour versus a fast run at 5 mph is the same as long as the distance is the same? Hmmm...

Where did I say *anything* even remotely like that?!

Running is a far different biomechanical motion and burns about twice the net calories as walking, mile for mile. The OP was specifically asking about *walking*.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    If you have to ask..
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member

So...heart rate be damned?

Yep.
    A leisurely walk at 2 miles an hour versus a fast run at 5 mph is the same as long as the distance is the same? Hmmm...

Where did I say *anything* even remotely like that?!

Running is a far different biomechanical motion and burns about twice the net calories as walking, mile for mile. The OP was specifically asking about *walking*.

I stand corrected on the "bad" example, but I don't believe that two walks at the same distance will be the same calorie burn based on this formula if it's not reflecting heart rate. Source, please. I'd like to understand your logic.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Yes, I log walks, meaning the specific 30 to 45 min lunchtime "power" walks. It's valid exercise. If it wasn't worth logging, it wouldn't be worth doing, and we know walking is better for you than sitting, right?

I'm also gonna bust your plateau for you.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Log everything. I use a fitness tracker app (Runtastic) on my phone. It give a running total of the calories burned. It may not be 100% accurate because I dont have a HRM connected to it but It does a great job of tracking distance, speed and time...it calculates the calories burned based on my weight. I dont eat all my "exercise" calores back because I know the app may not be accurate so I dont want to "over eat." I log my gym workout through Runtastic, which syncs with MFP so it makes logging on MFP simple and easy. There are days when i'm close to going over my calorie limit on so I pull out my phone and go for a brisk walk. Those 20, 30 or 60 calories burned on that short walk really adds up and not only helps to motivate me (I love when I net a really low number for the day) but they help to keep me on track.
  • Mr_Knight
    I stand corrected on the "bad" example, but I don't believe that two walks at the same distance will be the same calorie burn based on this formula if it's not reflecting heart rate. Source, please. I'd like to understand your logic.

You are free to believe as you choose. Google will take you to literally thousands of articles explaining wherefores and whatnots.

Cheers.