Mom of 3- gonna try phentermine pill to help lose the weight

Options

Replies

• lanairn
    lanairn Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi- I understand completely how you feel. I am a mother of 2 children and would just like to get back to the way I was before kids. I would start working out and then stop and with so much going on fast food was just easier. I did go to a doctor and he did put me on phentermine and calcium pyruvate. They are wonderful- for the first week. I had energy without being restless. It motivated me to workout. I literally had to force myself to eat just to get calories in me. After that, it didn't work on me anymore. I didn't have any sleepless nights, any odd mood swings, or any of the other stuff that some other people have replied with. But I also was only losing 3-4 pounds per week. So I decided not to take them for a week just to see if they really helped and I lost the same amount. The thing is that by making the decision to finally change the way I eat and now I workout 4 days a week, that's what's really helping me lose the weight. Phentermine only controls your appetite and maybe a little boost of energy at first. But after that, it's pretty much a waste of money. I had a good experience with it, but it's just not worth the money or effort to remember to take them everyday.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments and concerns. It is legal in the U.S if under a doctors supervision. I do plan on diet and exercising, but I figured why not try phentermine and get a jump start to the weight loss. If I learn to eat the proper things and manage my snack cravings, then when I go off of phentermine I will have had a lifestyle change and HOPEFULLY be able to keep the weightloss off for good. I know you all encourage not to try it, but I feel like I have to give it a shot. I will keep you all posted. I will also closely monitor my health. I work on a medical/surgical floor and will do routine blood pressure and heart rate checks.
    Sounds like you made the decsion before you posted:huh: :noway:

I was JUST going to say that. You ask a website where 100's if not 1000's of people have lost weight by exercising and eating properly. OP comes on here asking if it's ok to take a DRUG to lose weight.

Your not the only person that's come on here to ask if the "QUICK PILL" is ok to take. If it was good, we would ALL be taking it. Don't yah think.

People come in here and state that they wouldn't advise it, but you feel like you "HAVE" to give it a shot? so why ask on the forum? if 50 people said no, don't try it, sounds like you were going to try it anyways because "you have to give it a shot"

You can let us know how it feels when your heart is beating like mad. Then again, some of us already know how it feels, and others don't want to know that feeling.
    Please understand where I am coming from. I don't feel like trying the pills to see how it affects me is wrong. I will give it a shot, and if I have bad side effects I will stop taking them. Have a good day! :)
    We all know where your coming from. You want a quick fix, a pill that will make you lose weight. Your not the first, and won't be the last to try it out.
  • browneyedmom
    Options
    Been there, done that!
    I know it seems you have made up your mind already. I also worked in the health field and had regular check ups because my Dr is the one who pushed the pills on me.
    But I gained everything back + just like all the other crash diets I have tried. Yeah most of them work, short term but you should focus on the long term.
    After talking to several people who have taken it. Everyone had the same idea: I will learn to eat healthier because I won't be hungry. Oh yeah it is a quick fix and you will lose weight very quickly, but it is soo not worth it. I don't know a single person who has ever taken it that has not gained their weight back plus some. Ask around to people who have taken it that you trust.
    I really hope you decide not to take it, but I know you are going to do what you think is best.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Please reconsider. This is a dangerous drug and with only 27 lbs to lose your health is not at a great enough risk to risk your health by taking this drug. You could easily lose the weight in 3-4 months in a healthy way that will be extending your life with your family, not endangering it! In the long term, what is 3-4 months of hard work?? It is so worth it! You will feel much more accomplished and healthy and a great example to your family! You really can do it on your own. I lost 25 lbs before I joined mfp and have now lost another 14. It's totally do-able!!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments and concerns. It is legal in the U.S if under a doctors supervision. I do plan on diet and exercising, but I figured why not try phentermine and get a jump start to the weight loss. If I learn to eat the proper things and manage my snack cravings, then when I go off of phentermine I will have had a lifestyle change and HOPEFULLY be able to keep the weightloss off for good. I know you all encourage not to try it, but I feel like I have to give it a shot. I will keep you all posted. I will also closely monitor my health. I work on a medical/surgical floor and will do routine blood pressure and heart rate checks.

I was JUST going to say that. You ask a website where 100's if not 1000's of people have lost weight by exercising and eating properly. OP comes on here asking if it's ok to take a DRUG to lose weight.

Your not the only person that's come on here to ask if the "QUICK PILL" is ok to take. If it was good, we would ALL be taking it. Don't yah think.

People come in here and state that they woudn't advise it, but you feel like you "HAVE" to give it a shot? so why ask on the forum? if 50 people said no, don't try it, sounds like you were going to try it anyways because "you have to give it a shot"

You can let us know how it feels when your heart is beating like mad. Then again, some of us already know how it feels, and others don't want to know that feeling.

This guy sounds a bit angry! Keep your negativity to yourself. She wanted to hear side effects and see what experiences people have had, not be badgered by food-deprived health nuts! :laugh:

Seriously, constructive criticism only.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to it for a while. I lost 40 lbs in 4 months. Then when I'd get off the weight would start creeping back on. And each time, I'd get a new prescription to lose those pesky 10 lbs that I'd regained. You will definitely lose weight on the pill. The problem is that you probably won't gain any healthy habits from it. I was drinking a sprite and eating milk duds for breakfast and then the pill would kick in and I wouldn't eat anything else on some days. They would give me crazy energy and mess with my sleeping but I was much younger at the time so I was cool with this.

Bottom line...it's a quick fix that won't fix the underlying issues.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

She wasn't asking whether she should take it or not, just about other peoples experience regarding it.

I have taken it before and frankly if I still had the option I would. I agree that creating and living a new lifestyle is ideal and using phentremine as a guide rather than the end all be all does work. You are more likely to gain back all the weight if it's a crutch.
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    I know you've already made the decision to try it. I don't know you and I don't know what kind of health you have or what your doctor has agreed to. I do know from experience that it's a bad idea.

My roommate of 26 died from heart complications. They were caused by diet pills.

To me, the brand name or the type of speed doesn't make a difference in the world.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    .....snip.

This guy sounds a bit angry! Keep your negativity to yourself. She wanted to hear side effects and see what experiences people have had, not be badgered by food-deprived health nuts! :laugh:

Seriously, constructive criticism only.

LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm a bit angry? Wow.
    What reason would I have to be angry?
    Seriously. She didn't come here asking for what side effects or peopels experiences with the drug. People have given her their experiences, their side effects. Telling her it can be dangerous. Did it phase her one bit. Nope.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post myself as an example of what can be done WITHOUT pills. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    healthychanges2, I guess I did have my mind made up before I posted. I have thought this through for awhile now. I was searching for anyone who had tried it and had success, but also wanted to hear any side effects, etc. As with all medications, there are side effects. You have to weigh the good and bad and see if it is worth it to you. I would never judge anyone for what they wanted to do to lose weight; whether that be diet, exercise, surgery, or pills. We are all united in this goal of losing weight together. Please understand where I am coming from. I don't feel like trying the pills to see how it affects me is wrong. I will give it a shot, and if I have bad side effects I will stop taking them. Have a good day! :)

When you go by MFP and choose foods that are healthier, you will be teaching those 2 wonderful girls of yours the right way to a healthier life.

What are you teaching them when you take drugs?

You will do as you wish, but if it was a wonder drug then we ALL would have lost the weight in a few weeks and felt wonderful!

There would be no fat ppl in the world if it was that easy!!

I tried them in my 20s and ended up in the ER with an IV stuck in my arm. Thank goodness it was only the once, but that was enough for me.

God Bless!

jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    healthychanges2, I guess I did have my mind made up before I posted. I have thought this through for awhile now. I was searching for anyone who had tried it and had success, but also wanted to hear any side effects, etc. As with all medications, there are side effects. You have to weigh the good and bad and see if it is worth it to you. I would never judge anyone for what they wanted to do to lose weight; whether that be diet, exercise, surgery, or pills. We are all united in this goal of losing weight together. Please understand where I am coming from. I don't feel like trying the pills to see how it affects me is wrong. I will give it a shot, and if I have bad side effects I will stop taking them. Have a good day! :)

When you go by MFP and choose foods that are healthier, you will be teaching those 2 wonderful girls of yours the right way to a healthier life.

What are you teaching them when you take drugs?

You will do as you wish, but if it was a wonder drug then we ALL would have lost the weight in a few weeks and felt wonderful!

There would be no fat ppl in the world if it was that easy!!

I tried them in my 20s and ended up in the ER with an IV stuck in my arm. Thank goodness it was only the once, but that was enough for me.

God Bless!

OH and I lost 38 pounds and kept it off for a year so far........and even continued to lose a bit more.
    jeannie
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    Well Peter, you don't have to be so darn rude! I will keep what I really would like to say to myself, because I am here for the moral support of others and not to be attacked or attack anyone else. Thanks for your comments and have a blessed day!! :)
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    Yes Peter, it did phase me. I take into account what everyone has said to me about the pill. Well, everyone who has been civil! I was looking for who has taken it and side effects. ALL medications have risks Peter... Just because one person reacts one way to something, doesn't mean all will. Please refrain from commenting on this post or any of my other posts if you cannot be polite. I don't expect everyone to be okay with me taking a pill, but atleast the numerous other people were still helpful with advice and not so cold hearted and downright rude!
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    Thank you!
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Well Peter, you don't have to be so darn rude! I will keep what I really would like to say to myself, because I am here for the moral support of others and not to be attacked or attack anyone else. Thanks for your comments and have a blessed day!! :)

Good for you. I was actually going to respond rudely to him as well but you managed to make me feel silly for wanting to.

As long as you are fully aware of the dangers of being on this drug and take proper steps such as eating healthier foods despite the ability to just starve your body you should be fine. Make sure you monitor everything and are in contact with a doctor on a regular basis. Then be smart when you do get off them - be aware more than ever of what you're eating.

Good luck.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is one pill I have never tried...but Im almost positive I have seen commercials about suing because of medical conditions caused by it. You have to really really think if it is worth the risk. You don't look that overweight to me. I know it's hard. I have been struggling and havent even lost a lb! But, if you wait for side effects, may be too late. You want to be around for your children and be healthy....it just doesn't seem like it's worth the risk.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Isn't it illegal in the united states?

Phentermine is the good "Phen" in the Phen-fen combo...........
  • scottie30
    Options
    I tried them as well. It was wonerful while I was taking them. I had all the energy I could ever want and knew what to do with. I was able to accomplish all the goals I set for myself for the day and then some. Then....came the horrible crash. I would be grumpy and just sit. I lost the weight while taking them but as soon as I stopped them it all came back. I am now trying to lose over 100lbs. I have a long way to go and the one thing I have learned is that there is no magic pill. The best thing I have found is playing with my kids. I started by just pushing them on the swings instead of sitting by watching while they pushed each other. That led to climbing the monkey bars and slides. I'm still not as active as I need to be but I increase our time each day by 10 mins. I am losing it slowly this time so that I do not ever go back to the way I am now.