Is it scientifically harder to lose the last 10lbs?

Options
Or is it psychological ?

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it is perhaps that the closer you get to the goal weight the more accurate you have to be and also you are less likely to maintain a large daily deficit at that point, but I have no scientific evidence to back this up
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The reason it's harder to lose "the last 10 lb" or any weight, really, when you're already at a healthy weight is because your calorie deficit is smaller. The smaller the deficit, the slower the loss.

At my highest weight, my TDEE with exercise 3 times per week was about 2350. I could lose 2 lb per week (1000 calorie deficit) by eating 1350 calories, which is a bit low, but not extreme as long as I was eating nutrient-rich foods. At my current weight, my TDEE with exercise 3 times per week is 1985. Eating the absolute bare minimum of 1200 calories (which I do not) creates a deficit of only 785 calories, or 1.57 pounds per week. When I get into last ten pounds territory, my TDEE with exercise 3 times per week will be 1900. Eating at 1200, I would only be able to lose 1.4 pounds per week.

And anyone who is exercising at all should be eating more than 1200 calories. So yes, it is physiologically more difficult to lose the last 10 pounds.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    I guess it's both then. Thanks for taking the time to show your calculations.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think with me I get to a weight I feel good enough at and then stop doing what I need to get that last little be off.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    I suspect that's what I'm doing too mockchoc!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Or is it psychological ?

probably, especially if the goal weight is somewhat arbitrary for example getting to 30% fat shouldn't be "scientifically harder" than getting to 25% but 15% might be A Different Thing (TM)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I suspect that's what I'm doing too mockchoc!

Really need to get back into it since I put a little back on and I'm not ok with that! We need to do this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally psychological, considering we all have different goal weights and expectations of what our 'last 10 lbs' should be.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I feel sure that ( for example) somebody trying to lose 50lbs ... might get 40lbs down... and then the willpower starts to wane. Being happy about your changes is the best thing... no matter how much you have lost or still want to lose. I feel sure many stop as they get nearer to their ultimate goal and think... yeah that'll do...

Some seem to aim 5lbs below their target to allow for fluctuations when they get there...

1 last push to the finish line... cmon... you can do it :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The last 10lbs are generally 'vanity pounds' when a person is a healthy weight already... So it's hard to get rid of that fat as it only needs a small deficit and a lot of work and patience!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    It is harder for me...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It just takes longer. Also, if you've been in a calories deficit for a long time, you'll GAIN once you start eating at maintenance and your body restores your glycogen levels and the water needed to store it in. I plan on losing about five pounds less than goal, so I'll level off where I want to be.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't have the science to support it, but I truly think it's harder. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the harder it is to lose...even if you're doing EVERYTHING right!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me? Psychological. Most def.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It IS both. NO DOUBT. Physiologically harder because our bodies are already at a healthy weight already - the less total fat you have, the harder it is to lose the same ten lbs. in fact it gets Exponentially harder.. - its easier to get rid of 10lbs out of 100lbs of total body fat (10%) than 10lbs out of, say 25 lbs of total body fat (40%), or 10lbs out of 20lbs total body fat (50%).....

Psychologically its harder because of a skewed perception we all have regarding "the last ten pounds." My ultimate goal weight is a little bit PAST what I thought I could get to. My last ten pounds are about thirteen pounds away right now. At a pound or a little less a week, Ill be at this a while. Once I get there, I will reevaluate, and probably decide I might be able to go a little lower, thus, establishing a new "last ten pounds"

For me, the fun part is in the tryin!!
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Or is it psychological ?

YES
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    For me it was psychological. The weight loss slowed a bit and I wondered if I'd make it but with perseverance the 10lbs came off quickly along with another 5 once I'd stopped worrying. I'm at the lower end of healthy weight for my height btw.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have no science to back this up at all, but I really think the human body does not like to be super lean. I lost weight very easily until I hit a healthy BF% for my stats...once I hit the upper reaches of a healthy BF% things slowed down dramatically...it seems that I really have to be spot on in RE to my calories and what I'm eating to get below about 18% - 19% BF...going from 30% to 19% was a breeze.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Physiological.

Your body is trying to prioritise fat stores for survival. You have to fight to persuade it to drop fat, rather than less essential tissue such as muscle and bone density. Your deficit needs to get smaller and your training needs to incorporate some progressive resistance.

This leads to things slowing down significantly, which I guess has a psychological impact on some people. But, if you understand and accept that that extra bit of leanness is going to be a slower grind, then it shouldn't be too psychologically tough.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You are all incorrect. The fitter you get, the more you need to eat. It isn't in your mind. I have been my ideal weight all my adult life, and to loose an extra inch of my waist was practically impossible. I did arobics 16 hours a week, and swimming three times a week, and I had a 31 inch waist, and I am 5'8. Measure yourself rather than using the scales.