Replies

• MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how long the water weight sticks around? I have gained a few lbs since restarting my lifting. I am not going to stop lifting, just curious.

Mine lasted about 2 weeks initially. When I had to take a short break for a couple of weeks, I had about 2lb gain but it was gone in 3 or 4 days.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how long the water weight sticks around? I have gained a few lbs since restarting my lifting. I am not going to stop lifting, just curious.
    The first few weeks, I gained about 3-4 lbs in water weight. Then all that slid off after about a week or so. And the water weight I get now after my lifting is about 2-3 lbs that sheds after about a day or so.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Don't stop lifting - that would be the biggest mistake you make. I just started to put more effort in my foods and I lift heavy 3-4 times a week.
    Today looks like this: 1600 calories

B-Coffee, Ezekiel English muffin, egg, cheese and sausage sandwich
    L-Salad with chicken breast and avocado
    S-Frozen mango and pineapple with greek yogurt
    D-Cajun pork chop, zucchini and garlic/olive oil couscous
    Dessert depends on how many calories I have left. Could be 2 oreos with 1/2 cup of milk or could be sauteed apple with cinnamon and whipped cream.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I recently started a heavy lifting routine and I was wondering what those of you who have lost weight with heavy lifting are eating. I am hungry all the time ad try to start each day with a protein shake. Are you eating carbs? I am building muscle but not losing fat :(

TIA

I eat alot, all of the time. I eat over 2000 calories a day! Are you eating carbs? OF COURSE!!!! Lots of carbs! It's my favorite food group, well second to ICE CREAM! I also do endurance MTB racing so I need the carbs.

How do you know you are building muscle and not losing fat? Are you basing this off of the scale or have you had your BF% measured?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney
    If you're trying to loose weight, heavy weights isn't for you. Try lifting less but more reps. I've recently gained arm muscle but I want to reduce my size - so I've reduced the weight, but added more reps which will help to loose weight rather than add on muscle.
    Eating more is good (as long as it's the right foods of course) as you need to replace the energy your muscles are using to repair.

No. Lifting heavy is great for losing weight while retaining muscle and it is nearly impossible for a woman to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. I lift heavy (doing NROLFW), eat my TDEE - 15%, and aim for 80-100g of protein per day. I have been averaging around 1.5lbs per week loss plus losing inches and lowering my BF%.

Yes.
    She is trying to loose weight.... heavier weights = bigger muscles = heavier on the scales. It might reduce size and reduce b/f yes, but that's not what she's asking.

No, actually heavier weights = the muscles store extra water initially to help with repair = temporarily heavier on the scales. It's water weight, it goes away. Heavy weight training does not build new muscle unless you pair it with a calorie surplus. That's just simple physics. Your body cannot create matter put of nothing.

What heavy weight training does is increase the efficiency of your current muscles (strength), burns fat instead of muscle, and increases your BMR, allowing you to burn more calories at rest. It also tends to give most women the body they imagined they would have after dropping X lbs but then end up not having through diet alone and protects against health issues like osteoporosis.

^^^ Well said. Please lift (progessively) heavier weights. :) I am the same weight as I was last year, but two sizes smaller. Scales are bad measuring tools for women who lift.

As for food, I used this calculator to get my calorie target of 1975/day (TDEE -15%) with my macros set at 40C/30P/30F (I try not to get below 120-130g of protein a day):

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I'm also practicing two forms of IF, with my eating window from 1-10 pm each day, 2285/day for five days and 1200/day on my two rest days.

Best of luck!
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great~good for you. it is possible to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time, just takes a little longer to show on the scale. Be sure you are eating enough for both to happen (I'm 5'2, 113lbs and 51 i aim to eat 1800+ cals a day! ) Be sure your protein macro is about 1gram per lb of body weight. I eat 20 grms minimum every 3-4 hours- max. A shake after each work out and yes lots of chicken! Prepare as much ahead as you can to make it easier in a busy life.
    Wholegrain foods ~ fish a couple times a week is a great way to get high protein and low cal. Cottage chees at bedtime is awesome (fix it anyway you like (I have a1/3 of a 500gr container with fruit every night :) Cheat once a week at one meal and enjoy it.
    My best advice is get a tape measure and get rid of the scales. I know thats a tough one so aim for only one weigh in a month. Relax believe in the process and gage your results by how you feel in your clothes and forget about everyone elses results. We are all unique and change at our own rate. Make your cardio short and sweet ~20-30 mins hiit 3-4 times a week is perfectThis is my approach , find the one that works for you.
    best of luck and have fun
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney
    If you're trying to loose weight, heavy weights isn't for you. Try lifting less but more reps. I've recently gained arm muscle but I want to reduce my size - so I've reduced the weight, but added more reps which will help to loose weight rather than add on muscle.
    Eating more is good (as long as it's the right foods of course) as you need to replace the energy your muscles are using to repair.

NO!!!!

My profile pic is now 6 weeks of lifting. I am on a program that gradually increases the weights and reduces the reps. I am in phase 2 now of 6-8 reps of as heavy as I can go. I love it! And I am losing not just weight as in the scale, BUT Incredible cms and my body just looks so much better than ever before! I cant wait to shed the rest of my weight through calorie control.

I upped the proteins a lot, so I have a protein shake, I eat eggs, chicken and meats! A lot!
    I eat anything and everything as long as I get them in my calorie goals.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump for the ideas!
    Starting to lift weights though am not heavy yet... still eating at 1200 but I know I'll need to up that once I'm more intense...
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am just going to add in to this, because it is very annoying and I'm sorry if someone hates me for this.

But it is Losing... Not loosing. I see this all the time and it is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Anyway, please don't stop lifting. You are looking to lose BF so lifting is a great way to do that.

A day for me
    I do a meal replacement in the morning with fruit because I have to be at work very early.
    Then for lunch I do a 5oz peice of chicken, 2 cups of broccoli and 1 cup of mixed fruit.
    Dinner, I usually change it up quite often. But tonight I am eating about 4-5oz of lean thin cut steak, 2 over easy eggs because I love the yolk, it is like a sauce and aspargus and grade tomatos.
    Then I drink between 160-180 oz of water a day.

If you want to do the protein shake, you should drink that right after your workout.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Dessert depends on how many calories I have left. Could be 2 oreos with 1/2 cup of milk or could be sauteed apple with cinnamon and whipped cream.

mmmmm.... sauteed apple with cinnamon and whipped cream. - i must try this
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney

No. Lifting heavy is great for losing weight while retaining muscle and it is nearly impossible for a woman to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. I lift heavy (doing NROLFW), eat my TDEE - 15%, and aim for 80-100g of protein per day. I have been averaging around 1.5lbs per week loss plus losing inches and lowering my BF%.

Yes.
    She is trying to loose weight.... heavier weights = bigger muscles = heavier on the scales. It might reduce size and reduce b/f yes, but that's not what she's asking.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8044-1375913530-12.gif
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney

NO!!!!

^^^This!!!^^^

image_zpsb96c29c1.jpg
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney

Yes.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8044-1375913530-12.gif

Ohhhh...this gif needs to be shared with oh so many people on this site!!! *LOVE*
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    after 19 yrs of lifting, I wished I looked like the woman in the top pic. :cry:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney

Yes.

rachjenn, if I were you, I would stop posting this garbage. This is the second time you have replied to a post today saying this and it is simply untrue. Studies have proven, that long term, heavy lifting is better. Short term cardio will give you bigger caloric burns and you can burn faster. However, long term, you will be better off focusing on lifting heavy. It helps you retain muscle while eating at a deficit. You may also get some Newbie gains in mass but not what your talking about. There is no physical way to do what you are suggesting would happen while eating at a deficit.

Guess what, you can also do both. You are only required to lift 3 days a week. Do heavy lifting 3 days and cardio three days. You get the best of both worlds :-)

If I were you, I would do a search in the forums on Lifting Heavy for Women. There are multiple threads dedicated to the subject and there are even some with a focus on before and after pics with women that lifted heavy while eating at a deficit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney
    If you're trying to loose weight, heavy weights isn't for you. T

please stop giving advice- you have no idea what you are talking about.

edit- to add helpful information.

Typical day looking around 1700-2000 calories-ish

eggs + veggies +bacon
    low fat greek yogurt + protein + fruit
    chicken + veggies
    2 HB eggs
    Protein + milk
    Dinner- usually meat and veggies of some sort.
    2 servings of moose tracks no sugar added ice cream

(none workout days will be a little less)

and I usually have a hersey's or two at work.

eat moderately- lift. Go forth. Be awesome.
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have been doing Chalean Extreme for about 6 weeks after this I plan to get a barbell and start NROLFW! My diet is pretty clean already but I just can't seem to get my spare tire to deflate - I think that is my biggest concern. I feel much tighter all over except I still have a belly and love handles! I'm not concern about the number on the scale so much. That's why I thought cutting carbs would help. I am gluten free and trying to be dairy free (helps keep my acne at bay)
    I need to figure out my TDEE - right now I'm eating around 1500- 1700 cals a day- all "real food" no fast food or processed garbage BUT I eat pizza (gf) and drink wine every Sunday while watching the Saints :) I just can't give that up!!
    I will DEF keep lifting progressively heavier b/c I love it and how strong it makes me feel I just wish it would help me banish this gut! Maybe after football season it will work better.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi Shaney

You will not get bigger muscles in a caloric deficit. Most likely what OP is seeing is.... Fat loss, muscle retention, and water weight gain due to lifting. the water weight seems to be offsetting the fat loss.

Yes.