I reached my goal weight; what now?

Well, as of Friday's weigh in, I've officially reached my original goal weight. However, when I first started MFP, I cared much more about losing weight and being thin and since then my goals have switched to more fitness centered and body composition based goals.

I don't know if I should switch into maintenance quite yet as I still want to lower my body fat by a pretty significant amount and not be considered skinny fat.

I run, do strength training, yoga, etc. I would ideally like to be around 18% body fat (though that number might change as I get closer to that goal; I'll know when I reach a level I'm happy with and it's a bit hard to visualize).

Has anyone put off switching to maintenance for the purpose of losing body fat? Did you continue eating the same or eat at a smaller deficit? What worked for you?

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    I am in a really similar position. My goal was 115, but I'm 119 and I considered switching to maintenance now because I was starting to think that I wouldn't look better if I lost more, but I also want to lower my body fat % so I just don't feel ready to commit to maintaining yet.

I even thought about trying to do a small bulk, but I just don't feel ready for that yet! I think I've decided to just keep going to 115, but I'm going to try to make sure I eat enough protein every day and start doing more strength training. I'll just have to try it and see how it works for me. If I get to 115 and I'm still not happy, I'll probably try to gain muscle but I don't feel comfortable doing that yet.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    I've considered a small bulk as well but am not sure I'm ready for that quite yet. I've reached 110 which was my original goal (with intended reevaluation when I got there). I don't care so much about the number but I really want to lose more body fat. I'm a lot happier with my body but not 100% there yet.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    おめでとうございます!

Your profile already has some fitness related goals. Focus on those and adjusting body composition so you end up with a more favorable lean mass to fat mass ratio.

Edit: You always want to reduce the deficit as you lose fat mass so that you eat closer to maintenance the leaner you get which makes the transition a lot easier.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    I've seen this issue debated, some people think it's for real, some people think it's silly -- but for your consideration, here it is:

Lose ~5 lbs more than your healthy goal weight because when you switch to maintenance your body will rebuild it's glycogen stores and you could gain ~5 lbs before you level off.

“The utilization of glycogen stores during weight reduction can have a significant effect on the apparent weight lost and the degree of recidivism after a period of dieting. The energy deficit required to reduce weight with glycogen as fuel (1800 kcal/lb) is far less than fat (3500 kcal/lb) due to both the difference in energy contributions of fat versus carbohydrate and, even more, the large amounts of water associated with storage glycogen. Small energy deficits, therefore, early in a weight-reduction diet, can produce the illusion of significant fat lost. The ease with which this weight will be regained can be disheartening to a dieter. The apparent ease of early weight losses can also lead to unrealistic expectations of the ability of a modest energy restriction or even exercise to achieve significant weight losses.”

Printed in USA. © 1992 American Society for Clinical Nutrition
    Glycogen storage: illusions of easy weight loss, excessive weight regain, and distortions in estimates of body composition
    Stephen N Kreitzman, Ann Y Coxon, Kalman F Szaz
  • yaseyuku
    So is it recommended to up my calories slowly then? By maybe 50-100 each week? No idea where maintenance is for me even so this will definitely take some figuring out.

I've also heard of that 5lbs theory and wouldn't be opposed to it as even at 105 (5lbs lighter) I would still be within a healthy weight range for my height and frame.
  • geekyjock76
    そうですね。

How many calories are you consuming now? Upping calories by that amount every two weeks and logging changes will eventually lead to your weight becoming relatively stable. At that point, you'll hit your adjusted maintenance after the initial weight recovery is done. Knowing your adjusted maintenance intake is important for when you are prepared to do a small bulk to increase lean mass so you choose the right calorie surplus.
  • yaseyuku
    My goal is 1300 and usually I'm around there. The past week or so it's been admittedly a bit lower due to stress (terrible excuse, I know, but I tend to lose my appetite during high stress periods). Right now I'm focusing on hitting the 1300 every day again regardless.
  • geekyjock76
    With how active you are, it's safe to assume your adjusted TDEE is more than 1300 calories. So you can start increasing calories at this time. What is the rate of weight loss per week/month presently?
  • yaseyuku
    I never really lose a steady amount actually. I'll lose nothing at all for about 3-4 weeks, even gain, and then drop about 1.5-2lbs in a week.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    In for BF advice.
  • Great Job! I found that when I started maintenance I continued to lose weight, so don't let that get in your way. Working out is addictive and will keep your eye on the prize. Work out buddies are really good to have.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Now you make performance and mental based goals and never give up on becoming a better person everyday.
  • yaseyuku
    Outside of lowering my BF%, my remaining goals are all fitness related (and I have tons of them; too many perhaps). Working out really is addicting
  • geekyjock76
    I never really lose a steady amount actually. I'll lose nothing at all for about 3-4 weeks, even gain, and then drop about 1.5-2lbs in a week.
    In any case, I'd say start upping calories by a set amount every two weeks. Even if you reach maintenance, you could reduce calories by 200 or so if you want to reduce fat mass a bit more before switching back.

Btw, are you Japanese? 日本人ですか・