Creatine & Whey

Options
Can I get some suggestions of some places that sell decent, but somewhat low cost creatine and whey protein?? I'm really not looking for an argument about why creatine isn't good for me...I've heard it before. Just wondering if anyone has done some research on the best place to get quality stuff for the best price. (And no, GNC is not a valid answer!) Thanks! :-)

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I buy it online from various places. If you're willing to check deal sites once a day you can usually buy it for much less than local prices. It's not always the same retailer offering the deals.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    slickdeals.net for whey deals

creartine monohydrate is always around the same price... I use Now brand

ETA: looking at ~35 for 5# of whey and ~20 for 2.2# of creatine.... the creatine will last a while
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I buy it online from various places. If you're willing to check deal sites once a day you can usually buy it for much less than local prices. It's not always the same retailer offering the deals.

Thanks!! I'm obviously trying to avoid "digging" too much, so I figured I'd come here first to see if anyone had any common places they bought from, but...if I need to dig...I'll dig. ;-) Thanks, again!
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    slickdeals.net for whey deals

creartine monohydrate is always around the same price... I use Now brand

Great!! Thanks so much. I will check it out.

ETA: Right, got it! My hubs and I will both be using it, so I'm looking at getting a bigger tub. Thanks, again!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    ya dont need to dig.... set a "deal alert" for whey and itll email you.... or you can pay what everyone else pays.... theres no magic whey fairy that wiolll give you magical prices... do the leg work or cough uyp the dough.. your choice

Id like to add that, even at discounted prices, whey isnt cheap. I get most of my protein from boneless skinless chicken. Much more enjoyable and often cheaper.... sure it isn't as convenient, but, i think its a superior source.
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    ya dont need to dig.... set a "deal alert" for whey and itll email you.... or you can pay what everyone else pays.... theres no magic whey fairy that wiolll give you magical prices... do the leg work or cough uyp the dough.. your choice

Really, the fairy doesn't exist? Man...that is super disappointing. ;-) Seriously, though, I just wasn't sure if anyone had a "go-to" place that I didn't know about! Thanks, man.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Can I get some suggestions of some places that sell decent, but somewhat low cost creatine and whey protein?? I'm really not looking for an argument about why creatine isn't good for me...I've heard it before. Just wondering if anyone has done some research on the best place to get quality stuff for the best price. (And no, GNC is not a valid answer!) Thanks! :-)

purchase it online from bodybuilding.com

Optimum nutrition is the best brand!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

This. A lot of times there will be 241 sales too. Shipping is really good (I live in Canada). And really good customer service.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You can order cheap, high-quality vitamins and supplements online from Vitacost. I second Optimum Nutrition.....I have always heard this is the best bang for your buck. Not sure what the best brand of creatine is.....
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Yep and yep.
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    Thanks, you guys! I appreciate it!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions. I also like Vitamin Shoppe if you have one near you. Their "house" brand of Whey is like $40 and you get 79 servings in it the tub, that's a pretty damn good price. You don't need anything special with Whey either; it's plenty sufficient. Their house brand of basic creatine monohydrate is like $19 and you get a big container of that too. Don't need much more past that either.
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    Good suggestions. I also like Vitamin Shoppe if you have one near you. Their "house" brand of Whey is like $40 and you get 79 servings in it the tub, that's a pretty damn good price. You don't need anything special with Whey either; it's plenty sufficient. Their house brand of basic creatine monohydrate is like $19 and you get a big container of that too. Don't need much more past that either.

Exactly what I need. Simple whey and creatine monohydrate. Boom. Done. Don't need any of the extra junk. :-) I do have a VS near me, so I might check it out. Thanks!!
  • JNick77
    Options

Exactly what I need. Simple whey and creatine monohydrate. Boom. Done. Don't need any of the extra junk. :-) I do have a VS near me, so I might check it out. Thanks!!

I don't know that there is any "best" brand. I think if you look at different brands of whey and if one is considerably cheaper volume for volume (like $40 for 5lbs versus $20 for 5lbs in the same store) then that might raise an eyebrow but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing i would steer clear of is the pre-made protein shakes. At least from what I've read the heating process is damaging to the protein. In the absence of nothing they're better than nothing but definitely not great.
  • garrisonwife
    Options

I don't know that there is any "best" brand. I think if you look at different brands of whey and if one is considerably cheaper volume for volume (like $40 for 5lbs versus $20 for 5lbs in the same store) then that might raise an eyebrow but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing i would steer clear of is the pre-made protein shakes. At least from what I've read the heating process is damaging to the protein. In the absence of nothing they're better than nothing but definitely not great.

Right! I'm awful at eating breakfast, so I've been doing the meal replacement shakes from Advocare. They're alright, but it gets expensive! I've been lifting heavy for a few months now, and I want to incorporate creatine, but also need another source of protein, hence wanting the whey. So far, pretty much all the research has been "find stuff with the fewest 'extra' ingredients"...so, I'm looking for good quality, simple, and relatively inexpensive. It made me a bit nervous ordering online for the first time trying it...but if a lot of people vouch for it, I guess it can't be too bad. :-) But, I may swing by Vitamin Shoppe just to read some labels. Thanks, again!!
  • JNick77
    Options

Right! I'm awful at eating breakfast, so I've been doing the meal replacement shakes from Advocare. They're alright, but it gets expensive! I've been lifting heavy for a few months now, and I want to incorporate creatine, but also need another source of protein, hence wanting the whey. So far, pretty much all the research has been "find stuff with the fewest 'extra' ingredients"...so, I'm looking for good quality, simple, and relatively inexpensive. It made me a bit nervous ordering online for the first time trying it...but if a lot of people vouch for it, I guess it can't be too bad. :-) But, I may swing by Vitamin Shoppe just to read some labels. Thanks, again!!

A little off-topic but here's an interesting journal abstract on creatine usage, http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36
  • garrisonwife
    Options

A little off-topic but here's an interesting journal abstract on creatine usage, http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36

Interesting article...doesn't really apply to me, though, since creatine reacts differently in a female's body. ;-) Although, it is cool to read about the before/after comparison. My plan will probably be protein before AND after with the creatine mixed in the "after" protein shake. Then, try to get as much protein as I can for the rest of the day from actual food. Mornings, I'm just anti-food. Ha!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if you ask me, the cheapest brand you can stomach is the whey to go (lol).

whatever marginal differences there may be in quality between brands does not justify they (sometimes) enormous disparity in cost.

unless for some reason you need the faster absorbing isolate, then pay for that, but again, i'd go with the cheapest isolate.

This stuff is cheaper then the walmart stuff (body fortress, which is also not a terrible way to go), and the vanella is hands down THE BEST whey i've ever tasted:

http://www.albanystrength.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=ldfnfg0d1lqlnhd6qsmcik1050
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Id like to add that, even at discounted prices, whey isnt cheap. I get most of my protein from boneless skinless chicken. Much more enjoyable and often cheaper.... sure it isn't as convenient, but, i think its a superior source.

i perfer chicken myself when i can. but the protein i'm getting now is actually a little cheaper then chicken at grocery stores in my area
  • garrisonwife
    Options
    Mmmm...chicken!