high protein ideas that is not meat

Options
dmroz35543
dmroz35543 Posts: 7
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am trying to do a higher protein diet and less carbs but I am also trying to cut down my meat intake. Is anyone on here doing this vegetarian style? If so, do you have any protein ideas that does not include meat?

Replies

• thenewmoni
    thenewmoni Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegetarian that tries to eat more high protein foods and so far i eat a lot of eggs, cheese (low fat), and greek yogurt. I also use plant based protein powder and mix with my smoothies. If u want some good carbs with a decent amount of protein, try chickpeas, peas, and lentils
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, cheese and eggs are a good start.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    If you are vegetarian (not vegan), then can you eat dairy products? Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are high in protein.

Non animal sources of protein include legumes, nuts and seeds.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    beans, nuts, protein bars/shakes, yogurt.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is supposed to be high in protein. I've not tried it yet so I don't know about the taste.

Peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, a lot of cheeses, eggs (not sure if you're lacto-ovo vegetarian or not), yogurt...

This website has a list of quite a few: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    nuts, cheese, eggs, protein powder
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and aim for 90-100g of protein per day. The bulk of my protein comes from cottage cheese and tofu/soy products. Today, though, I got a big hit from pizza I make using a cauliflower crust. Look up any recipe online, but the one I use is essentially:

1 head of cauliflower riced
    2 eggs
    2 cups mozzarella cheese (light)

Cook the riced cauliflower (I microwave mine on high for 10 minutes), then mix in eggs & cheese. Form 2 large pizza bases out of the cauliflower mix and bake for 10-15min on about 375 or until it goes golden. Remove from oven, add pizza sauce & toppings. Given the amount of cheese in this dish, I get a good 38g of protein out of half of the pizza and for 345 calories (with the toppings I use), this is a filling and amazing dish.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high protein, and vegetarian? That generates one long naughty food list.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    ^ that's not crust that's a cauliflower and cheese omelette. *shudder*
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this bread: Nature's Harvest - Multigrain 40 Calorie Bread With Net Carbs! Not only is it high protein (6 grams per slice) but it is low calorie and carb. I can't wait to eat it! The other food I eat as a "go to" source for protein is fish. Fish is technically not a meat product (I guess)...
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese!!
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, eggs, greek yogurt, nuts, quinoa.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and follow a clean diet. Add me as a friend and you can see my food log. Hope that helps :)
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    protein powder
    egg whites

nuts, dairy, beans not really that high in protein IMO

edit

most dairy: milk, cheese, butter, etc
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree, nuts aren't as high in protein as people think, but they are a good source. Same goes for eggs. I can't do dairy, so When I'm not eating much meat, I have to reach my protein goals with protein powder mixed in almond milk.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, soy, tofu, tempeh, seitan, nuts
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, almonds, pistachios, protein shake/bars and chicken are all I ever eat for protein. But I won't mention the chicken.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Beans, egg yolks if you can do them. Some nuts. The problem with nuts is that they don't digest all the well and the fat adds up quick. If you're not vegetarian for moral reasons there's absolutely no reason to not eat meat or cut bak on it. Unless it's an issue of the quality of meat/chemicals/etc that you're concerned about.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

Shows protein grams per calorie - split between meat, vegetarian and vegan.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I was vegetarian for 10 years, and I still don't eat red meat ever. My favorite sources are quinoa, eggs, Greek yogurt, tofu, tempeh, and lentils. I like making a batch of quinoa & lentils to keep in the fridge all week as a base for salads; I then throw veggies and sometimes leftovers like baked tofu on top. Easy lunch each day!
    I love Trader Joe's 3-grain tempeh, and it's sold under a different brand name in most grocery stores. It's just fermented soybeans, very healthy and it has a nice nutty taste- not at all slimy or weird like tofu if you're not a tofu fan! Try marinating tempeh and roasting it with veggies. I marinate 2 blocks tempeh chopped with eggplant & zucchini in Italian dressing and soy sauce, and roast in a big pan. One of my favorite meals! Serve on top of quinoa if you like.

If you don't like tofu's sponginess, try freezing it solid (just chuck the container in the freezer) and then thawing it. Makes it easier to get the water out, and gives it a meatier texture. Then I like to marinate + broil or grill it. It's also amazing fried it in a small amount of oil (put in hot pan, leave ALONE for 5-10 minutes, then flip). Fry it plain and then dip in sauces! Great with BBQ or teriyaki sauce. Frying works MUCH better if tofu was frozen and then thawed, rather than fresh from the pack.

I prefer mostly unprocessed food, but I do keep frozen Boca burgers on hand for quick protein- only 70 cal and 15g protein which is pretty impressive. The best-tasting veggie burgers out there- but a little higher calorie than Boca- are Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime and Dr. Praeger's California vegetable burgers. These frozen products definitely aren't necessary for a veg diet, but they're a fun meal sometimes and have good nutritional stats!

Added- Ezekiel bread is also high protein and very good for you! It's cheapest at Trader Joe's. I keep it in the freezer so it doesn't get moldy, then just toast a frozen slice whenever I want one! Love the cinnamon raisin flavor. Ezekiel toast with Justin's maple almond butter and a smidge of low sugar jam is favorite breakfast of mine!
This discussion has been closed.