Crazy hunger at night, what do I do?

Options
2»

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    A 20% cut from your TDEE is 1520 - you could stand to eat more, especially if you're legitimately hungry. Maybe your body is trying to tell ya something. :smile:

This is correct.
    it would help if we could see your food diary - it may be that you ened to change WHAT you are eating, not just HOW MUCH.

so several people are suggesting you eat more every day - not 1200 cals, but 1520. have you tried to do that? it sounds like you are simply hungry.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    A 20% cut from your TDEE is 1520 - you could stand to eat more, especially if you're legitimately hungry. Maybe your body is trying to tell ya something. :smile:

This is correct.
    it would help if we could see your food diary - it may be that you ened to change WHAT you are eating, not just HOW MUCH.

so several people are suggesting you eat more every day - not 1200 cals, but 1520. have you tried to do that? it sounds like you are simply hungry.

I don't log here, which is why my food diary is not visible. Typically, I have brown rice in the afternoon with vegetables and soy and oats at night. In the morning I just have a cup of coffee. I drink two cups of tea in the day. Sometimes I'll have a small serving (150 calories ) of brown rice in the night with lentils and vegetables.
    I have not tried eating 1520 calories, because I thought I would not be able to lose 10 pounds by December 31st if I do! :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

This is correct.

I don't log here, which is why my food diary is not visible. Typically, I have brown rice in the afternoon with vegetables and soy and oats at night. In the morning I just have a cup of coffee. I drink two cups of tea in the day. Sometimes I'll have a small serving (150 calories ) of brown rice in the night with lentils and vegetables.
    I have not tried eating 1520 calories, because I thought I would not be able to lose 10 pounds by December 31st if I do! :ohwell: :ohwell:

So all you eat in a day is: brown rice with veggies for lunch, occasionally rice and veggies/lentils in the evening, and oats and soy.... No wonder you are binging at night, you're starving!
  • dragoncake79
    Options
    I used to be the same and now have a cup of warm soya milk before bedtime and I feel that sorts me out for the late evenings...

I also paint my nails, pamper.. and try to not think about snacks ;)
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Your body is craving for nutritious food. ...you aren't getting enough proteins....with this diet you will lose the lean body mass and will probably start binge eating...up your calories to 1500, eat high protein moderate carb and good fat enriched food, workout strength train, drink loads of water and get atleast 8 hours of sleep...you will lose that weight...try some warm milk before going to bed..you will sleep better. ...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is correct.

Do you log your food anywhere? Because the foods you described don't have much protein. Soy and lentils have some, but probably not the levels you need. BTW, you should probably be eating 100-120g of protein a day. Are you a vegetarian? If not, eat some meat. That will fill you up.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'm the same - i like to snack at night.

i used to do the 6 small meals thing but since reading comments on here and doing a bit of research, i've realised meal timing doesn't really matter so i tend not to eat much till about 2pm (just coffee instead of breakfast etc.) - gives me more calories at night.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    Please don't get frustrated with me here... but you (a) aren't going to lose weight and (b) self sabotage by keeping this methodology that you have.

You're paying no attention to "Net Calories". Your body burns a certain amount of calories just by living... this number (BMR) is based on your gender, age, height and activity level. There are many different ways to figure it out. Using myself for an example, I am a 5'8, 190 pound male, aged 33, is 1783. Rounding up for ease of numbers, we can call it 1800.

This means, bottom line, I am burning 1800 calories by having my heart beat, my lungs breathe and my blood circulating.

As I walk around (even for basic tasks such as walking, talking, etc), I am burning more calories. Depends on your normal activity level, you can find your approximate TDEE, which includes your exercise.

For optimal health, the recommendation is 1/2 - 1g of protein per pound of body weight. You don't look like you're hitting that mark.

When MFP says to make it to 1200, you're supposed to be NETTING that amount (calories you burn).
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I have cravings in the evening as well. i find 100 calorie popcorn very satisfying. even a couple of bags. that is only 200 calories...not bad for a snack. i also get big time peanut butter cravings. so i bought peanut flour...it has 1/4 the calories of regular peanut butter, high in protein, no salt, no additives, high in protein...and satisfying. (though i do add a little salt).
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You sure have a lot going on here. Increasing caloric intake and getting more protein does seem to be key, but even after you fix that nights are going to be a challenge. I always keep about 150 calories in reserve for a mid to late evening treat. Something I really like, even if it isn't the healthiest choice. With your smaller total intake budget you might want to lower that a bit but the principle is the same. Don't try to deprive yourself of something satisfying late in the evening. Make finding things that really satisfy you yet fit in your calorie budget a game. Then enjoy it and go to bed feeling like you've fed your cravings instead of letting them task you through the night.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Please don't get frustrated with me here... but you (a) aren't going to lose weight and (b) self sabotage by keeping this methodology that you have.

You're paying no attention to "Net Calories". Your body burns a certain amount of calories just by living... this number (BMR) is based on your gender, age, height and activity level. There are many different ways to figure it out. Using myself for an example, I am a 5'8, 190 pound male, aged 33, is 1783. Rounding up for ease of numbers, we can call it 1800.

This means, bottom line, I am burning 1800 calories by having my heart beat, my lungs breathe and my blood circulating.

As I walk around (even for basic tasks such as walking, talking, etc), I am burning more calories. Depends on your normal activity level, you can find your approximate TDEE, which includes your exercise.

For optimal health, the recommendation is 1/2 - 1g of protein per pound of body weight. You don't look like you're hitting that mark.

When MFP says to make it to 1200, you're supposed to be NETTING that amount (calories you burn).

My TDEE is 1750 calories. (sedentary, desk job). I log exercise separately, so on a typical day my TDEE would be around 2050-2100 calories. I eat 700 calories less which means 1400 calories. Is that wrong?
    Oh and my lunches are usually 400-500 calories and dinners (lentil, brown rice, veggies, yogurt) are 500-600 calories.
    I thought this was good enough to lose weight! Im a vegetarian and the only protein I can eat is lentils and soy. I eat 4-5 almonds in a day as a snack.
    Will I really not lose any weight this way? :sad:
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I used to snack on apples at night, but fruit is pretty carby and fairly high in sugar, so I've switched to eating whole red bell peppers. Very little carbs, no sugars and filling.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

that's not true. It's not necessarily netting 1200 calories. 1200 calories was the number chosen at what point you are probably getting the nutrients you need. you can safely go a bit under that even as long as you're getting your nutrients. a VLCD is at 800 calories. that has nothing to do iwht net but with nutrition. you're not going to die by eating 1200 calories straight up. It's not necessary or healthy for a male to eat 1200 or someone who is tall with a lot of muscle but for many women it's the only way to lose.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

My TDEE is 1750 calories. (sedentary, desk job). I log exercise separately, so on a typical day my TDEE would be around 2050-2100 calories. I eat 700 calories less which means 1400 calories. Is that wrong?
    Oh and my lunches are usually 400-500 calories and dinners (lentil, brown rice, veggies, yogurt) are 500-600 calories.
    I thought this was good enough to lose weight! Im a vegetarian and the only protein I can eat is lentils and soy. I eat 4-5 almonds in a day as a snack.

are you vegan or vegetarian? I don't know how to help if you're vegan, Seitan maybe? If you're vegetarian get an eggwhite meal in there somewhere. half a carton of eggwhites is something like half your daily needs for protein. what you describe as your diet sounds like a recipe for constant hunger. I know when I ate so many carbs I was always starving. oatmeal was especially bad for me . fats and protein are what keep you full.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    I don't eat egg either! Or egg whites. As I said the only protein I can eat is lentils and soy. It is easier if I am at home since I eat two servings of lentils, for lunch and for dinner. But since Im working we follow a different eating pattern, just a mixed veggie-soy-rice dish that's easy to carry to work.
    I'm also a bit OCD about protein since I'm strength training (as in interval training with light weights, not heavy weights) and that if I cross any protein thresholds I'll put on weight. I don't use food scales, and I don't exactly want to either. We have some nutrition books for Indian food at home and I leave a small margin for error adding around 50 calories per item.
    I do hope I'll be able to see results this way??
  • psuLemon
    Options

you are too lean to have that large of a deficit. Also, TDEE includes exercise. So if your TDEE is 2100, then eat 1700 calories a day. Also, you need to find ways to get more protein. Probably around 120-130g each day. If you do a search, there are a few threads that talk about getting protein and as vegetarian/vegan.
  • psuLemon
    Options

that's not true. It's not necessarily netting 1200 calories. 1200 calories was the number chosen at what point you are probably getting the nutrients you need. you can safely go a bit under that even as long as you're getting your nutrients. a VLCD is at 800 calories. that has nothing to do iwht net but with nutrition. you're not going to die by eating 1200 calories straight up. It's not necessary or healthy for a male to eat 1200 or someone who is tall with a lot of muscle but for many women it's the only way to lose.

VLCD's are designed for those morbidly obese and under medical supervision. They are also not designed for long periods of time. And it's very difficult to reach all your micro an macro nutrient needs on an 800 calorie diet, let alone on a 1200 diet. While large deficits lead to weight loss, they also lead to high percentages of muscle loss. When you lose lean body mass, your metabolic rate will slow down, your bone density can decrease and you can lose strength overall. It also makes it difficult to be lean and fit, which most people want.