LADIES: How to Combat Weight Gain on the Depo Injection?

Options
Hey.

I've been on the depo injection for 6 months now, after taking a break from it because I felt like I was gaining weight. Prior to that I'd been on it for a couple of years. If you look online it says in loads of places that it can cause weight gain but my doctor say this isn't true, and that the only thing it may do is increase appetite but that basically the injection alone wouldn't cause you to put on weight.

I went and had the injection again on Thursday, and the nurse told me that I'd gained 7lbs since my last time (3 months). This has put me to my highest weight and is higher than I was when I was on it before.

I feel like I am watching what I eat on a moderate basis; I know I could be better at it but I'm not doing too terribly, so to me the weight gain is excessive. I'm going to start logging everything again from today to make sure I'm not kidding myself, but what I wanted to know was whether other people had had the same gain whilst on the depo and what, if anything, you were able to do to combat it?

I really like the convenience of having the injection rather than other forms of contraception so really don't want to change but of course I can't very well keep gaining half a stone every 3 months either. I truly believe the injection has something to do with it, even though my GP disagrees... What's other peoples thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hayley x

Replies

• AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo for around 6 years and managed to put on 6 stone over this time. I've now swapped to the Nexplanon implant and I've lost 21lbs since January. Not a massive loss but great considering I'm still on a contraception that can influence your weight.

Hope this helps :)
  • PorshaR123
    Options
    I was on depo and it was HORRIBLE!! My cousin and I both decided to get on the depo after becoming sexually active. I was experiencing major headaches often, my fingers and toes would tingle while i was laying down . I was hungry constantly eating . I felt huge and tried to starve myself . My cousin gained 20lbs and i gained only 2 but switched to the pill and lost 3 . We were only on it for 3 months after the first shot we switched to the pill.
  • our_ayley
    our_ayley Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've been on the pill before but I'm rubbish at remembering to take them so thought the injection would be better.

As for the implant, I knew a girl who managed to pull it out in her sleep and that frightens the life outta me so I couldn't bring myself to have it! That being said though, to lose 21lbs since January is amazing. Well done :)

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks it does contribute to the weight gain though! Thought I was going mad and giving myself excuses!
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily think it caused weight gain. I've been on it for years now, yes I've gained weight, but because of how I eat not because of a hormone injection once every 3 months. The pill I can understand because it's sugar coated, literally. I much prefer the jab to anything else since I don't have periods now. The main reason I get the jab is because they were so horrible, like crippling pain every month.
    But being a hormone treatment, it doesn't work for everyone.
  • our_ayley
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily think it caused weight gain. I've been on it for years now, yes I've gained weight, but because of how I eat not because of a hormone injection once every 3 months. The pill I can understand because it's sugar coated, literally. I much prefer the jab to anything else since I don't have periods now. The main reason I get the jab is because they were so horrible, like crippling pain every month.
    But being a hormone treatment, it doesn't work for everyone.

I'm on it for the same reason - I've suffered with terrible periods since being a teenager, and the fact I don't have them anymore is a huge bonus, not just because they're inconvenient but because the pain is so bad when I have one that any plans to eat better or work out are out the window anyway.

So I'm working on the basis that they it just increases your appetite then but in which case even when I'm eating right and logging, why am I gaining weight?
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There are many side effects to the depo and increased appetite is indeed one of them, however, it in itself does not make you put on weight.
    If you are experiencing increased appetite try drinking more and substituting low cal bulk foods for high cal foods to satisfy.
    You yourself said after taking a break from the Depo that when you went back you were 7lbs heavier than ever before. This in itself should be an indicator that maybe there is another reason for your weight gain.
    Ultimately you have to weigh up (no pun intended) the pros and cons of all medication and make an informed decision but using the medication as an excuse for putting on weight is not really very constructive.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with above. I was on the pill for years and I gained lots of weight, and I went on a diet and lost it all, while still on the pill because I had high blood pressure. Then the HBP forced me to switch to the injection. I gained weight again, but thats because I was lazy and started eating more.

I've lost 10lbs in the last 8 weeks, and I had the injection right at the start of those 8 weeks and its not effected me. Increased appetite might be a side effect. Just like your appetite increases at TOM (which I thankfully no longer have!!!) Its just something we have to learn to control as women I'm afraid!!!

So I don't think being on the injection makes weight loss/gain any harder/easier than not being on it.
  • our_ayley
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Like I say, I've been watching what I eat but I'm under no illusion that I can't be better at it. I've not been logging so I'm gonna start again today to see if I've been kidding myself about calories and stuff.

I don't feel like my appetite has increased any or that I'm eating any more, but again this could be me being a tad dillusional and by calorie counting again I should figure out if there is anything I'm not noticing/ignoring. :D

Thanks for your input - sometimes it's better hearing from people who've been through it themselves as well as listening to GP advice!