looking for a cookie recipe I won't be tempted to binge on (

Options
pinecone
pinecone Posts: 28 Member
I'm not trying to lose serious weight, just to get into a size 10 (US 6) pair of jeans. I reckon I'm about six pounds away, after changing my lifestyle over two years and losing 20 pounds. anyway, although i would never eat a cake/cookie in a cafe, once they're in the house i can never just eat one.. they play on my mind. i know that this is a psychological thing, and i'm working on that, but in the meantime it'd be nice to have a healthy cookie/bake i could just snack on that's low in sugar and would go nicely with a coffee. i made peanut cookies, but the salt/sweet was too much for me and they went far too soon. so maybe nice tasting, but not tantalisingly moreish? any ideas?? i've got my agave nectar at the ready xx

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Try making oatmeal raisin and walnut cookies using unsweetened applesauce instead of sugar. Use whole wheat flour instead of white flour. Generally just try to make the cookie more fiber dense and it will feel like a lot to just eat one.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meringues? I have not personally tried them yet, but I plan to next time I feel the need to eat a cooke. I was just looking at the packaged ones in the bakery section at the grocery store. They are pretty small, about 120 calories and 20 carbs/sugar for 13 cookies. Yeah, 13 cookies is the serving size! They are basically egg whites and some sugar with some other flavors or add ins mixed in. Do a google search, there are tons of recipes online if you want to try making them yourself. They seem pretty easy.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Make sugar cookies using only egg whites (instead of a whole egg), but add lemon zest, dried cranberries (or ginger), and change out 1/4 C of the flour for cornmeal. There's something about the cornmeal that makes it difficult for me to binge on these tasty cookies.

The recipe originally came from Cooking Light, too...
  • pinecone
    pinecone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice! i'll probably have to try all these cookie ideas, but for now i went with what i had in the house. here's what i came up with - they aren't amazing tasting or beautiful (which for me is perfect, lest i be tempted to eat the lot in a day), but they're quite satisfying and very nice on a coffee break:

9g unsalted butter, softened
    2 apples (chopped up thinly and simmered with a little water and spices until soft and mashable)
    15g agave nectar
    40g porridge oats
    40g rice flour
    tsp clear honey
    30g mixed dried fruit
    1/2 tsp carotino oil for greasing
    1 egg
    generous tsp cinnamon - used two, but then i love this spice
    1 clove
    1 cardamon pod
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence

i mashed the apples up (after simmering with the cardamon and the clove), then beat in the agave nectar, the honey and the butter. then i gradually beat in the egg and the vanilla. to this i stirred in the oats and the flour, the remaining spices, and then added the fruit. i baked these for 20mins at 180. lovely. xx

Edit: forgotten spice