Before or After?

Options
Hey! Just hoping to get some opinions. Do you all log your food and exercise before the day begins and try to stick to it, or do you log it at the end of the day....or even real-time?

Today I am trying to log it before and try to stick to it. We will see how that goes!

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I typically plan before and edit as things change. I find it makes it easier to stay within my calorie allotment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I pre log all my foods and adjust for reality. And I don't log exercise as I already built it into the TDEE equation; meaning, since I workout 6 hours a week, my account is set to moderate instead of sedentary so I eat 1 standard amount of calories so I do not eat back exercise calories. It's much easier to manage.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I do that with my food, because I spend a good portion of Sunday prepping for the week. It really makes a difference for me.

Exercise, I do it a little later in the day because sometimes my schedule just goes crazy and I'm not able to do the exercise.
  • sadgirl114
    Options
    I typically plan before and edit as things change. I find it makes it easier to stay within my calorie allotment.
  • tropical24
    tropical24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food, it makes me stay in track. Any exercise after that is tacked on as bonus/sneaking in the extra bits.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Since planning the night before, it's become a lot easier I find.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do a mix, durring the week I tend to just eat the same things over and over so I have a pretty good idea of what things have in them so log after, if I am going out to dinner or something I try to prelog/preplan so I can still stay close to my goals.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I almost always pre-plan and then adjust as I go as needed. If I put in all my meals and a solid amount of snacks, I'll sometimes leave extra calories to decide the day of as well. As someone who used to log in real time, I find that having the structure in advance helps immensely with staying in my calorie range and spacing out my snacks/meals throughout the day.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Depends on the day, because it is actually been hard for me to plan. But, I do find when I plan I do MUCH better, especially with my restrictions I have (sugar, caffeine, carbs, etc). ON the days I pre-log and change as needed, I find I am more conscious of what I am eating and, in turn, don't eat as much stuff as I shouldn't. I log my exercise as I go, since I use my HRM to calculate it more accurately.

I highly recommend either pre-log or log as you go...I wouldn't wait til the end of the day to log all at once...you'll be surprised what you actually don't know you are eating.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan my day and adjust as I go. Since I tend to eat the same stuff day-in and day-out, it gets pretty easy. Exercise doesn't get logged until I complete it, just in case I don't actually get to it (I've been shifting my schedule to lunch-time running, which sometimes gets over-ridden by that whole "work" thing).
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I log in real time unless I'm going out in which case I try to prelog and then adjust when I get home if needed.
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    During the week, when working I am able to plan ahead. The night before I log everything, pack the lunches and snacks according to what I log. I work supper around what I have left at the end of the day which allows for some changes which I may of made during the day (ie... if it was a hot chocolate or couple of chips day). During the weekend or days off I play it by ear and log it according to what I want and what I can "afford".
  • KarinaRaina11
    Options
    i do it as i go along
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I log everything in the morning. I try to wait on the exercise cause that can change due to a number of things. I find it helps me stay on point also I found that planning meals helps me eat healthier.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I log everything as I eat it. I usually don't know what I wanna eat before I actually go in front of the fridge..
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do it immediately afterwards. I can see the benefit in pre-planning, but I guess I'm just not that organised.

It still works OK for me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I write down my food and exercise in a medium sized notebook. I preplan my meals for the next day the night before by seeing what I have and scribbling a menu - it is always subjected to change. Then as I eat I officially write it down. I used to officially write everything down the morning of and end up erasing a lot of things.

With exercise I just write it down at the end of the day since I usually go by how I feel and I never know in advance how many miles I will powerwalk for the day.

I'm maintaining and prelogging still works great for me. Keeps me on track, saves a lot of time and takes the guess work out of what am I going to eat.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food a day or 2 in advance.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I generally start the day with a pretty good idea of what I'll be eating, and then I log as I go. Adjustments are made as necessary.

I found this was much more important when losing fat. Now that I'm trying to build a little muscle mass, I pretty much eat everything in sight...
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes do it while I'm making a meal - just to see how much I can weigh out, but for the most part my meals don't change very much so I record them shortly after eating.

If I'm really busy or don't have internet I'll usually just do them after and estimate as needed.