I GUESS I DID IT?

Options
2»

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for about 4 months now I lost 19 lbs.Now I weight the same but Iam about 4-5 size smaller but weight the same I dont get it.

I know what you mean, I started lifting seriously in May, dropped 3 sizes and been at the same weight since July, though I've had some fluctuations, but pretty much stayed the same. The funny thing is, the last time I was this size, I was 15lbs lighter. Congrats on your success (no questiion mark)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    So many people say this BUT 1 POUND of fat = 1 POUND of muscle....I don't get how so many people think a pound of fat is less then a pound of muscle. Somebody please explain that concept to me!!!???

No one thinks that.
  • bigred503
    Options
    Im in the same boat, im 10 weeks into weight lifting and have lost 17 inches all over my body but havent lost an ounce. So my theory is that for all the fat im losing, i must also be gaining muscle due to the lack of scale movement. Which i realize now is the optimal goal right? Weight is just a number.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for about 4 months now I lost 19 lbs.Now I weight the same but Iam about 4-5 size smaller but weight the same I dont get it.

You lost 19 pounds, but you weigh the same? Let's talk about this scientific anomaly.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, I think. A pound is a pound.

Aaaaaaannnndddd here we go again!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. Keep at it!

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, which every rational person understands when they use/hear that phrase.
    But if you acknowledge you know that's what the poster meant, what will you argue over? And how will you feel superior for pointing out the "error" that everyone knows is just semantics, anyway?

Geez! Get with it, lady!
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A bit confused though -- you say you lost 19 lbs but weigh the same?

I think OP is saying she initially lost 19lbs - then she went down another 4-5 sizes but hasn't lost any more then the initial 19lbs.

OP this is wonderful! This means you are tightening everything up. 3lbs of FAT may WEIGH the same as 3lbs of muscle but it sure LOOKS a whole lot better ;D

*edited spelling error
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, which every rational person understands when they use/hear that phrase.
    But if you acknowledge you know that's what the poster meant, what will you argue over? And how will you feel superior for pointing out the "error" that everyone knows is just semantics, anyway?

Geez! Get with it, lady!

I know. I'm a terrible forum user. :ohwell:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Geez! Get with it, lady!

I know. I'm a terrible forum user. :ohwell:
    *slaps hand*
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat ( I lost 0.5 inch over all this month) My weight has not budged.

Personally if I could get my waist to 25 inches and lower my bf to 18 % I would be happy if I did not lose a pound.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    what people often try to convey but often confuse is the reality of varying densities.

Fat is less dense than muscle. It takes up more volume. Muscle is more dense (takes up less volume).

A pound is a measure of weight and is constant.
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    what people often try to convey but often confuse is the reality of varying densities.

Fat is less dense than muscle. It takes up more volume. Muscle is more dense (takes up less volume).

A pound is a measure of weight and is constant.

Well said!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great job OP!! You are doing really good work.
    Excellent! By this logic granite doesn't weigh more then feathers... I hate it when people say that.

^^ This is what I always think of when I hear that a pound is a pound.

Since the OP said her weight was the same but was wearing smaller clothes I think the inference that 'weighs more' relates to volume is quite clear - the OP's volume shrunk. If I talk able 8 oz of water verses 8 oz of chicken nobody seems to question whether I am talking about volume or weight.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Excellent! By this logic granite doesn't weigh more then feathers... I hate it when people say that.

Yep, me too! I think when a person says muscle weighs more than fat, it's implied that you're comparing like size to like size, not pound to pound.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!