Frustrated!

Hubby and I are dong so good so far , but I have to tell ya the cost is killing me. Do you realize just How much cheaper it is to buy crap food than healthy food ? :mad: No wonder so many people are overweight (this is not an excuse) I'm working out our bills for the month and the grocery bill is HORRIBLE. It feels like be FAT or be BROKE , you choose. All the pasta and rice and all those things that strech so far between dinners for medium to big size families (6 of us) I know we can still have it but whole wheat pasta and brown rice cost more that the others and the goverment and scientist rant and rave about obesity in children and adults but when your pinching pennies your pinching pennies! Sorry for the rant/vent but Im frustrated and if the grocery bill continues to be large hubby will be ready to QUIT and I just can't do that.

In need of low cost, filling, BULK menu ideas

Replies

• Hubby and I are dong so good so far , but I have to tell ya the cost is killing me. Do you realize just How much cheaper it is to buy crap food than healthy food ? :mad: No wonder so many people are overweight (this is not an excuse) I'm working out our bills for the month and the grocery bill is HORRIBLE. It feels like be FAT or be BROKE , you choose. All the pasta and rice and all those things that strech so far between dinners for medium to big size families (6 of us) I know we can still have it but whole wheat pasta and brown rice cost more that the others and the goverment and scientist rant and rave about obesity in children and adults but when your pinching pennies your pinching pennies! Sorry for the rant/vent but Im frustrated and if the grocery bill continues to be large hubby will be ready to QUIT and I just can't do that.

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I know how you're feeling, my grocery bill went from 115 - 150. Hopefully with summer around the corner the fruits and veggies will be cheaper when they're in season! But whole wheat will always be more, sometimes when there's a sale I'll stock up. It really burns me too!!
  • lvcdmk
    lvcdmk Posts: 11
    I totally know how you feel. There is only (3) in my house, with my daughter being 18, she never eats with us, she is always out with friends or Andrew, the boy of the month !! My wife and I use to never eat at home, it was always some quick drive thru, but now that we are on this in a serious way, holy crap, I spent $227 at the store last night. Of course we had nothing in the house, but still and I think out of all that we only got 3 complete dinners. I am going to Costco today to buy chicken and whatever else i can in bulk, maybe that will help. If I find any bargin ideas, I will pass them along !!
    Have a blessed day ... :wink:
  • :explode: I know how you feel it's a shock to the system to see the increase in cost!! I don't know where you live but I have been shopping at a local asian/latino grocery store and also buying whole chickens at costco and freezing them. Summer brings lots of cheaper fresh veggies and we eat a lot of them. Replace pasta with potatoes if you need a carb. Buy meat on sale and eat a lot more chicken which is usually a better buy. Instead of whole chops or chicken piece I do a lot of stir fryies and casseroles using more veggies than meat. Tortillas can be a nice change and I fill them with about anything topped with a little low-fat cheese and I make a pot of soup from the chicken carcass or a pot of beans every week. Hang in there though because your whole family will benefit in the long run. You are a great mom to make this kind of effort and sacrifice for them all! Cheers to you!:flowerforyou:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    I totally know how you feel. There is only (3) in my house, with my daughter being 18, she never eats with us, she is always out with friends or Andrew, the boy of the month !! My wife and I use to never eat at home, it was always some quick drive thru, but now that we are on this in a serious way, holy crap, I spent $227 at the store last night. Of course we had nothing in the house, but still and I think out of all that we only got 3 complete dinners. I am going to Costco today to buy chicken and whatever else i can in bulk, maybe that will help. If I find any bargin ideas, I will pass them along !!
    Have a blessed day ... :wink:

But how much were you spending eatting out every night?? I bet if you subract that out it won't be quite as bad.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    My husband and I shop at Sam's Club when we can. I don't know if you have one where you are, but if you do, I would DEFINITELY invest in a membership. We paid $40 initially to be members for a year, but they have really cheap food. Of course, it's all in bulk, so you'll need to put a lot in the freezer, but with our son, who's 10 months old, the diapers etc. are really worth the money. We made back our $40 + more with our first trip.
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    i am on a very tight budget, and have found for me it is actually cheaper to eat healthy. here are some tips: (i usually serve everything with a tossed salad with homemade olive oil vinaigrette)

crockpot chili over rice
    chicken caccitore over w/w pasta
    w/w pasta with sauage and peppers, mushrooms and tomato sauce
    veggie pizza with skim milk mozza
    roasted pork chops with mashed potatoes (made with skim milk and becel)
    ground pork meat balls with teriaki sauce, baked, with broccoli and rice
    roasted chicken thighs or legs with orzo pasta mixed with spaghetti sauce (so yummy)
    spaghetti with alot of veggies and lean ground beef
    beef and mushroom stirfry over rice
    grilled chicken with herb roasted potatoes

i tend to eat alot of pasta and rice still, but i choose whole wheat pasta. i still eat white rice, mainly for cost and speed, but only eat 1/2 a cup. fills you up plenty, you get good bang for your buck and it's yummy.

for the salads, i use the veggies that are on sale and buy full heads of lettuce, not the expensive pre-washed kind. up here you can get a large head of romaine for as cheap as a buck and no more expensive than 2. that would easily do enough salad for a fairly large family when added with other veggies. also try adding some nuts and seeds to your salads. a nice, cheap way to make them more filling. hope this helps!
  • Lettuce13
    Lettuce13 Posts: 22
    Here is an interesting fact that I heard during an interview with Michael Pollan yesterday. (he has a new book out called "In Defense of Food"). Up until the 1970's, American's spent approximately 16% of their income on food and 9% on health care. Those numbers are now reversed. Eating healthier may be more costly in the short term, but in the long term, you will be saving in health costs and improving the quality of life for your family. Don't give up!

One way to cut food costs & eat better & support local farmers is to buy into a food co-op. My next door neighbors & I are splitting a share this summer. You can see what is available in your area at:

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Good luck!
  • Beccilynn
    Beccilynn Posts: 177
    Hubby and I are dong so good so far , but I have to tell ya the cost is killing me. Do you realize just How much cheaper it is to buy crap food than healthy food ? :mad: No wonder so many people are overweight (this is not an excuse) I'm working out our bills for the month and the grocery bill is HORRIBLE. It feels like be FAT or be BROKE , you choose. All the pasta and rice and all those things that strech so far between dinners for medium to big size families (6 of us) I know we can still have it but whole wheat pasta and brown rice cost more that the others and the goverment and scientist rant and rave about obesity in children and adults but when your pinching pennies your pinching pennies! Sorry for the rant/vent but Im frustrated and if the grocery bill continues to be large hubby will be ready to QUIT and I just can't do that.

I totally agree with you !! it is so much more expensive ! Here is a funny fact as well , I had to go on food stamps maybe 2 years ago here in wa. I went to buy a healthy beverage , I forget what it was some vitamin water kind of thing , food stamps would not pay for it , they only paid for soda's !!