New Girl to Stronglifts 5x5

Hey everyone!

I've lost a majority of the weight I've been trying to burn off for the past two years (woo!) and now I'm trying to get toned. I read that someone recommended Stronglifts 5x5 for lifting, and I checked out the website and the summary that someone posted on MFP. That was really helpful, but I was wondering if anyone had any extra tips for newbies to this program?

I started Workout A today using just the 45 lb bar for 5x5 squats, rows, and bench press.
I plan on adding 5 lbs to my squat for Workout B and then using the 45 lbs bar for overhead press and the 1x5 deadlift.

My biggest concern at the moment is injury, which means I really need to study technique. I don't have the $$ to hire a personal trainer unfortunately.

Any advice would be entirely welcome!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Watch videos. Make sure you are watching your form in a mirror. I don't know anything about your gym, but keep an eye out for a trainer that has people doing the exercises you are doing. Ask them to watch your form, they won't mind.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    I would say lift light at first, you dont feel like you are working as hard as you should be but SL 5X5 is meant to be slow and steady. As the weight will be lighter you will get good form early on and it will be easier to transfer that to heavier weights as you go.

personally i find when i squat to 90 degrees like sitting on a chair and distribute the weight straight down my legs into my heels i can push back up to standing more easily and you really feel it in your bum and thighs.

good luck with SL 5X5 im only 1 week into the program but ive done squats previously. add me if you like :)