Best ways to kill the bloat

Options
I had a not so good weekend, eating-wise. Went just slightly over my calorie goals (have my deficit set at 750, so still under maintenance), but made some not great food choices - too much cheese (for me), way more carbs than usual, not enough fruits/veggies, waaaaay too much sodium and probably a good dose of MSG in my cheap Chinese food - and I am left with a 6 pound gain since last Thursday. Yes, I definitely know I did not gain fat, but the water retention (and other assorted digestive bloating, if you catch my meaning) has left me puffy looking in the face and looking like I'm 5 months pregnant, plus super uncomfortable, and I really want to kill it with fire, hopefully in the next 3-4 days.

So, besides tons of water and some caffeine, what are your best tips to clear all of the extra nonsense out of my body in a few days or less? Not interested in pills/"cleanses," but if you've got a secret weapon herbal tea or veggie combo that works for you, I want to hear it!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8. 1180 mg of potassium. Works like a charm.
  • gym__bound
    Options
    lose water weight, i think?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Good call! I can't stand vegetable juice :tongue: , but I kind of forgot about potassium. Maybe white bean and butternut squash chili is in order for dinner (and potatoes for lunch!).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Give it a day or two and this too shall pass. :tongue:
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I go a little overboard on eating out the bloat is usually from the ungodly amount of sodium in restaurant / fast food. The best solution I have come up with is drinking TONS or water and sweating it out. 2 hard cardio sessions the next day works wonders for me.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    don't know if you have a david's tea in your area but their Detox tea helps with the bloaty feeling (not to be confused with looking bloated)

also lots of water and water based veges/fruits helps me flush out the salts in my system.

takes about 2-3 days for all the excess salt to leave....be prepared to go to the bathroom every 2 mins!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I suspect you do not want to hear water, but water is the best thing for getting rid of bloat. Drink lots and lots of water.:smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Good call! I can't stand vegetable juice :tongue: , but I kind of forgot about potassium. Maybe white bean and butternut squash chili is in order for dinner (and potatoes for lunch!).

Yes, anything high in potassium should do the trick.
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I go a little overboard on eating out the bloat is usually from the ungodly amount of sodium in restaurant / fast food. The best solution I have come up with is drinking TONS or water and sweating it out. 2 hard cardio sessions the next day works wonders for me.

This is exactly what I do. It's the reason my weekly weigh-ins are on Wednesdays - I usually come in a little high from the weekend, and then sweat it out and hydrate on Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday, I can get a more realistic weigh-in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Tons of water and go get your sweat on...
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/36-diuretic-foods/

These foods tend to help me if I feel bloated. Esp asparagus and beets. Oh and yeah, tons of water, but I'm sure you got that from the other posts!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Yes, anything high in potassium should do the trick.

Yes, try bananas, raisins or a plain baked potato
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!! Ok, I'm going with:

WATER
    Coffee
    High water fruits/veggies
    Asparagus
    Water
    High potassium foods
    Extra fiber
    More water
    Cardio (plus maybe a few minutes in the sauna, just for kicks)

Hopefully that will do the trick by next weekend! Thanks again!