Cheat days getting out of control...

Options
124»

Replies

• DivietoDiSosta
    DivietoDiSosta Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found this explanation on breakingmuscle.com

When dieting for fat loss, average intake of carbohydrates and calories tend to be low. Over time, your body realizes it is taking in fewer calories than it is burning. In turn, it will try to balance calories-in versus calories-out by becoming more efficient and your metabolism drops. This is not good when fat loss is the goal. Cheat days will trick the body into thinking it is getting enough calories (if not too many) and the body will then ignite its fat burning metabolism.

This is exactly why I have been keeping the cheat days. It actually keeps me from having long-term plateaus. But I find that the closer I get to my goal, the harder it gets to stick to my TDEE on the cheat day. I end up going way overboard.

So I think I'm going to take the advice of many of the responses here, and plan out the cheat day so that I am don't give myself license to eat everything in sight. Hopefully that will allow me to treat myself without totally losing control.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself one cheat meal a week instead. I still think it's too much, but it will be an improvement. Otherwise try to include what you crave in your daily goals.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do cheat DAYS, maybe one meal or something but a lot if damage can be done in one day or weekend.

THIS 100%%%
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    This past weekend, I ate 4000 calories on Saturday and 3500 on Sunday. I feel a little sick when I eat that much, but not overfull. It's like my body is staging a rebellion against the continued weight loss and trying to force me back up.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice for getting past it? Should I throw out the cheat days altogether?

Thanks -

Your body is not staging a rebellion against weight loss.

It's your choice to eat that much and your choice whether you want to change so you can achieve your GW.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days and rarely have cheat meals. What typically happens with me is that I'll start craving something (usually a burger) and I won't be happy until I have one. Then I eat it and get right back on track for another 3 or 4 weeks until I start craving something again.

I think if you don't eat what you love sometimes, you won't succeed. Weekly (for me) is too much but monthly seems to work out fine. I'm in it for the long haul.
  • xobrittanie
    Options
    i prefer to have a cheat meal or two once a week, but some times my cheat meals can turn into a cheat day especially if i am not home a lot that day. But what i find helps if i'm having a cheat meal or day, i like to eat the cheat foods anytime before 3 - 5pm so i can still burn some of it off going about the rest of my day (i go to bed around 11-12), and also if i am feeling guilty about my cheat meal i can easily go to the gym if I ate my cheat meal earlier on during the day. But like some people say I am trying to change my lifestyle not trying to lose weight then go back to eating unhealthy. Also my only problem area is a little pouch in my stomach area, so i'm only looking to lose 2-5lbs and I think having a cheat meal while being so close to the weight you want is not exactly the best idea especially since the closer you get to the weight you want to be, the closer you calorie deficiency gets to the minimum calorie requirements for the day. I think if you are trying to maintain a weight it is a good idea to have a cheat meal! it helps get the carvings and temptations at bay. Throughout using fitnesspal i've also found on the days i have a cheat meal i'd perfer to have a healthy meal that is made a little fattier, for example by adding cheese or bacon, instead of going on a crazy binge.