Can I achieve an athletic look by cutting calories?

Options
Last year when I was 115lb I decided to eat above maintenance by 200 calories more. I was seeing gains and some fat also. I kept it up for three months and then fell off track. I was stuck with 10lbs....

So I'm still 125 and I have lost muscle and gained fat...I'm still the same weight. I just recently started working out and have been eating 200 calories below maintenance. I'm afraid if I'm cutting calories I will look just skinny instead of toned and athletic...

Can I add some lean mass and make my body tight while working out being on a calorie deficit? I do strength training.

I would love to add some mass to my lower legs and butt, abs (Jaime koeppe type body)all while keeping my arms kinda smaller so I would eventually bulk but I'm scared I might add anther 10lbs and fall off track and be stuck at 130lbs.

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    You may not add lean mass while lifting and eating at a deficit, but you will preserve the lean mass you have and ensure that the fat is what you lose.
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Will I still see some nice results if I continue to strength train and lose fat?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Will I still see some nice results if I continue to strength train and lose fat?

yes
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hard to really answer any of your questions. Things like "athletic look" and "nice results" are subjective and won't mean the same thing person to person to person.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    I guess not too low on body fat but enough to have your abs show through. I'll put up a pic once I find it...but I guess Jessica Biel type
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What weight training program are you doing?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

yes

yes
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I guess not too low on body fat but enough to have your abs show through. I'll put up a pic once I find it...but I guess Jessica Biel type

Jessica Biel is a great goal. Know that shes doesn't look that way just by keeping her calories low, though. She works out like a beast, and lifts HEAVY weights. I believe she does some heavy boxing, too.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    I do the 3 day split: push/pull/legs and some cardio and abs in the mix. I lift heavy til failure lol so I'd be sore for 2 days.

I want to definitely get nice bigger leg muscles one day and eat above maintenance but right now I want to cut fat...I'm hoping that I can still look good and not just skinny.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI- sweat is not a good indicator of if you had a good workout or not.

It just means you sweat.