bout to throw in the towel.. this is crazy!

Options
Here was my routine, Monday Wednesday, Friday, new rules of lifting for women ( weight lifting ) took up to an hour . I did it at nights and got threw it, very little weight came off, I lost in pictures, but other then that, maybe 4 inches lost total and no actual weight. I then decided to do the stronglift program again. Stronglifts the first time around, I did it in February to april of 2013 and lost 19 inches and no actual weight, this time I revamped it and added some smaller lifts, but still nothing dramatic. I did manage to go from 167 that I was stuck at for 3 months to 162, I think that came woth eating an average of 1750 calories a day. (I went on what I thought was a "maintenance" break in july and just tried my best to eat 2000 calories a day, I couldn't with out doing a ton of peanut butter and that meant a ton of fat) so I just basically stayed on the break for 3 weeks, weighed myself and the scale read 165 so I have been eating or trying to eat 1750 calories a day since then. I thought that maybe since I was on a "lower deficit, that I should continue to eat that instead of dropping back down. to the piddly 1650 a day.

Soo that brings us to, today. 3 weeks ago, I was at 162.2 lbs!! I was OMG excited! that meant that I only had 5 lbs to lose till I got to my 100 lb mark! then another 10 to loose till I got tomy original goal!! i was so happy!!! so I thought, well to get the fat off, I will incorporate some cardio in to the mix 3 days a week, ( I am a huge fan of biggest looser and a huge fan of jillilan and bob! so I have their at home dvds, ) so my routine was lik this,

Monday at lunch, 30 to 45 minutes of cardio/ SL5x5 at night
Tuesday, at lunch, 30to 45 min of cardio
Wednesday -SL5x5 at night
Thursday -rest day
Friday-SL5x5 at night
sat/sunday rest days
weigh in on Monday morning

(I DID CARDIO 3 DAYS IN A ROW LAST WEEK CAUSE THAT IS THE WAY MY DAYS OFF FELL)
see, I work 4 days a week 7 am to 4pm and I hae a 2 year old wild child. that I stay home with 2 days a week,
I recently decided that I was going to make my goal to be at 159 before October 28, that Is next Monday and I don't think that is going to be possible! I have done cardio before, but it seems like when I do it know, I tend to put weight on, I usually burn 350 to 450 calories a session and that totals out to be 700 to 900 calories burned threw the cardio alone, ( I wear a heart rate monitor) that math applied, I should be LOOSING, a fourth of a pound, not finding FOUR pounds! this is really starting to piss me off, my diary is open and feel free to look at it! I am going to JEFIT.com and look around and see what kind of a program I can make. im completely baffled at what is going on, I know hat sometimes when I rush to get things done, I tend to mess up and it takes longer, my whole \life is that way. maybe slow and steady is the best thing. but I don't see why everytime I am that close I screw up! lol im a bull by nature! (Taurus)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that it sounds like your body is holding onto some extra water weight with the added cardio. Our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and heal them during the repair process. It's not uncommon to see a small gain on the scale when we increase our exercise routines.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary.

You go over your calorie target quite often.
    The carbs and fat are pretty high.
    And where's all the vegetables!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This is life.. not a Tv Show.. if your expecting to start working out and dropping 60 lbs like they do on the Biggest Loser... those days are gone at your weight.. If you throw in the towel and go back to what you were doing, how quick do you think that 100 lbs will come back? Time to Focus, Get your numbers right, Get your training down and work.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary.

You go over your calorie target quite often.
    The carbs and fat are pretty high.
    And where's all the vegetables!
    [/quote

I eat vegetables every chance I can, I really can't eat them a lot as for my hubs don't like them, and its a waste to cook then and me only eat 1/2 cup of a can that is 2c cups serving. I do enjoy a steamed bag of vegetables on Saturday, and a few cans of corn and green beans during the week, but if he don't eat it, I feel it's a waste of time for me toi make it.

And I'm eating an average of 1750 calories a day, I went to the settings and tried to change it, but it kept resetting me to 1650 ! Lol. I'm going to try to reset it again today.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have done cardio before, but it seems like when I do it know, I tend to put weight on, I usually burn 350 to 450 calories a session and that totals out to be 700 to 900 calories burned threw the cardio alone, ( I wear a heart rate monitor)..

Ignore the HRM. A person your size would need to run 4 miles to burn 400 net calories through cardio. Can you run 4 miles in the 30-40 minutes or however long your cardio sessions last?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Could be TOM or water retention. Does your HRM have a chest strap? Did you adjust your stats as you lost weight on it?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetables every chance I can, I really can't eat them a lot as for my hubs don't like them, and its a waste to cook then and me only eat 1/2 cup of a can that is 2c cups serving.

Why would you only eat a 1/2 c of veggies? Pile on the veggies and back off on other stuff. You can pretty much eat as many veggies as you want.
  • collingmommy
    Options
    No, I couldn't, thank u though, I thought that the burn was high.
  • collingmommy
    Options
    I eat vegetables every chance I can, I really can't eat them a lot as for my hubs don't like them, and its a waste to cook then and me only eat 1/2 cup of a can that is 2c cups serving.

Why would you only eat a 1/2 c of veggies? Pile on the veggies and back off on other stuff. You can pretty much eat as many veggies as you want.
    [/

Yes, I could, thank u. I'm going to purchase a crap load of frozen vegetables, (cheaper, and portioned right)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have done cardio before, but it seems like when I do it know, I tend to put weight on, I usually burn 350 to 450 calories a session and that totals out to be 700 to 900 calories burned threw the cardio alone, ( I wear a heart rate monitor)..

Ignore the HRM. A person your size would need to run 4 miles to burn 400 net calories through cardio. Can you run 4 miles in the 30-40 minutes or however long your cardio sessions last?

Where do you come up with these numbers? You can't judge what someone burns based on their size or age.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't really like eating vegetables either but um... that's his problem, not mine.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    very little weight came off, I lost in pictures, but other then that, maybe 4 inches lost total and no actual weight
    So you look better, and you're physically smaller, but because the scale hasn't moved you're upset? :huh:

Sounds like you have been making good progress - I'd stick with the photos and tape measure and how your clothes are fitting and laugh at that dang scale. Heck, I went six months last year with the scale bouncing up and down between the same 2-3lbs, but during that time I dropped a full size as inches and fat were still coming off.

Don't let the scale mess with your head - it's just a number that no one sees but you. But inches lost, better fitting clothes - THAT'S the real progress that counts in my book.

Eat well, exercise, drink water, get good sleep, take rest days, have patience. Be as accurate as possible with logging food.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Here was my routine, Monday Wednesday, Friday, new rules of lifting for women ( weight lifting ) took up to an hour . I did it at nights and got threw it, very little weight came off, I lost in pictures, but other then that, maybe 4 inches lost total and no actual weight. I then decided to do the stronglift program again. Stronglifts the first time around, I did it in February to april of 2013 and lost 19 inches and no actual weight, this time I revamped it and added some smaller lifts, but still nothing dramatic. I did manage to go from 167 that I was stuck at for 3 months to 162, I think that came woth eating an average of 1750 calories a day. (I went on what I thought was a "maintenance" break in july and just tried my best to eat 2000 calories a day, I couldn't with out doing a ton of peanut butter and that meant a ton of fat) so I just basically stayed on the break for 3 weeks, weighed myself and the scale read 165 so I have been eating or trying to eat 1750 calories a day since then. I thought that maybe since I was on a "lower deficit, that I should continue to eat that instead of dropping back down. to the piddly 1650 a day.

Soo that brings us to, today. 3 weeks ago, I was at 162.2 lbs!! I was OMG excited! that meant that I only had 5 lbs to lose till I got to my 100 lb mark! then another 10 to loose till I got tomy original goal!! i was so happy!!! so I thought, well to get the fat off, I will incorporate some cardio in to the mix 3 days a week, ( I am a huge fan of biggest looser and a huge fan of jillilan and bob! so I have their at home dvds, ) so my routine was lik this,

Monday at lunch, 30 to 45 minutes of cardio/ SL5x5 at night
    Tuesday, at lunch, 30to 45 min of cardio
    Wednesday -SL5x5 at night
    Thursday -rest day
    Friday-SL5x5 at night
    sat/sunday rest days
    weigh in on Monday morning

(I DID CARDIO 3 DAYS IN A ROW LAST WEEK CAUSE THAT IS THE WAY MY DAYS OFF FELL)
    see, I work 4 days a week 7 am to 4pm and I hae a 2 year old wild child. that I stay home with 2 days a week,
    I recently decided that I was going to make my goal to be at 159 before October 28, that Is next Monday and I don't think that is going to be possible! I have done cardio before, but it seems like when I do it know, I tend to put weight on, I usually burn 350 to 450 calories a session and that totals out to be 700 to 900 calories burned threw the cardio alone, ( I wear a heart rate monitor) that math applied, I should be LOOSING, a fourth of a pound, not finding FOUR pounds! this is really starting to piss me off, my diary is open and feel free to look at it! I am going to JEFIT.com and look around and see what kind of a program I can make. im completely baffled at what is going on, I know hat sometimes when I rush to get things done, I tend to mess up and it takes longer, my whole \life is that way. maybe slow and steady is the best thing. but I don't see why everytime I am that close I screw up! lol im a bull by nature! (Taurus)

Check your sodium, which some days is extremely high for breakfast - 1029, that's what some people have in one day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Where do you come up with these numbers? You can't judge what someone burns based on their size or age.

Age isn't a big factor, but size absolutely is.

It's pretty simple - calories are a measure of energy burn - if someone can't burn somewhere around X amount of energy doing one cardio activity, they aren't going to be able to burn X amount of energy doing some other cardio activity. This is especially true at below-average fitness levels.

So, all we have to do is translate a claimed calorie burn into an equivalent distance of running (that's where size comes in), and see how that matches up with the person's actual fitness. If they can only run half that distance, then they only burned about half the reported calories. And so on and so forth.

Put another way - if you can't jog 500 calories worth of miles, it would violate the laws of physics for you to be able to burn 500 calories in a short HIIT "cardio" session.

This still results in an approximation, of course - but an approximation *much* closer to reality than the fantasy numbers being reported by machines and HRMs for people at the beginning of their fitness journeys.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    very little weight came off, I lost in pictures, but other then that, maybe 4 inches lost total and no actual weight
    So you look better, and you're physically smaller, but because the scale hasn't moved you're upset? :huh:

Sounds like you have been making good progress - I'd stick with the photos and tape measure and how your clothes are fitting and laugh at that dang scale. Heck, I went six months last year with the scale bouncing up and down between the same 2-3lbs, but during that time I dropped a full size as inches and fat were still coming off.

Don't let the scale mess with your head - it's just a number that no one sees but you. But inches lost, better fitting clothes - THAT'S the real progress that counts in my book.

Eat well, exercise, drink water, get good sleep, take rest days, have patience. Be as accurate as possible with logging food.

^ THIS!!!!! We don't walk around with flashing neon sides on our heads with our weight posted on them. It sounds like even pounds wise you aren't that far away from goal and without losing any weight have lost something like 23 inches? I'd say what you're doing is working (except you need more veggies ;-)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I say you should pay less attention to the scale and focus on how healthy you are. You are thinner, look better in clothes, eat healthier, get your heart rate up and you are lifting weights. Nothing crazy about. Throwing in the towel means undoing all that good. Don't do it, stay the course. The scale will catch up...or maybe not. Just stay in the healthy habits.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options

I eat vegetables every chance I can, I really can't eat them a lot as for my hubs don't like them, and its a waste to cook then and me only eat 1/2 cup of a can that is 2c cups serving. I do enjoy a steamed bag of vegetables on Saturday, and a few cans of corn and green beans during the week, but if he don't eat it, I feel it's a waste of time for me toi make it.

And I'm eating an average of 1750 calories a day, I went to the settings and tried to change it, but it kept resetting me to 1650 ! Lol. I'm going to try to reset it again today.

Buy frozen bags. Take out only your portion. If you're eating canned, you're getting a ton of sodium as well which will make you hang on to water weight. Edit: Corn isn't vegetable. It's pure carbs.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Too many rest days. Drop the bread. Eliminate processed foods. Cut calories below 1500... maybe even 1200.

Have you considered the C25k program? (Couch to 5k) You could do SOMETHING those 3 days/week!
  • collingmommy
    Options
    the c25k, tried it, hated it!! cant do it, I run outside cause I have no treadmill. but I prefer outside. I had a stupid scare, and since then, I don't likt to run, I have cut out most of the processed foods, hell, I make my own pasta sauce, (I don't eat "pasta" I sub for squash) I make my own biscuuits, I make my own just about everything, the only really high processed food I eat is turkey sausage. (that is loaded with salt) and I cant do anything under 1650 calories or I get bad.. I mean im so mean no one wants to be around me!
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Got no advice that you haven't already been given! Just wanted to say how FAB you look and fantastic job done to date so don't give up, I've been stuck at the same weight for 4 months but still hoping it'll eventually shift :)