Females - Building muscle around bum and hips - How to?

Options
2»

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    +1000 for squats and deadlifts.
  • BIH92
    BIH92 Posts: 14
    Options
    Just be careful when you do squat and first learn how to step on the floor and to handle the bar with hands for better grips. Make sure you breath and push it slowly. Play mp3 player and stare at yourself in the mirror. Don't worry about others what they think. They are jealous of you :)
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Squats, Proper squats. Don't go into weighted squats without making sure you have the technique right first. Same with lunges.

Once you have that start to incorporate a kettlebell or weights into it.

Also a spin class did amazing things to my butt. Any bike with resistance would do it though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    You'll get lots of responses about squats and lunges. However, I had really big glutes when I used to do speed skating. I would suggest doing some of your cardio in the form of roller blading.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Pilates!!!!! Clams, arches, criss cross, leg lifts on front and back.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Join a roller derby league. For real. Builds AMAZING core, too.

Edit: very overweight girls tend to lose weight overall with roller derby, as they drop their fat%, but the normal or underweight women I've known have typically gained 10-15 pounds or so each. And it's ALL in the legs, butt, and core
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    First, start with some squats. Then do so more squats. After you're done with those, do some squats.

Really though, I have to echo the above suggestions. Squats: get the technique down; brace your core, straight back, head up, knees generally shouldn't go over toes. Same with lunges: technique; brace your core, knees go to 90 degrees, backward lunges are easier than forward lunges, back straight, head up, knees aligned with hip, aligned with second toe. Once you've mastered the techniques and need more of a challenge, add weights.

I also concur with weighted glute bridges, and cutting back on cardio if weight loss isn't your main focus.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I just got this book: Strong Curves - a woman's guide to building a better butt and body - the exercises are excellent!!!! I have been doing them for about a week now and I feel amazing. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608642/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    deadlifts & squats should be every girl's best friend.

^^^ this

this worked for me. I'm an "inverted triangle" shape, i.e. shoulders wider than hips. Squats, Deadlifts and eating at a surplus helped even this out. i.e. very heavy squats and deadlifts....

Emphasis on eating at a surplus, you need a surplus to build actual new muscle tissue, which is what you want to do to make your glutes bigger. If you're eating at maintenance or in a deficit, your muscles can get stronger due to neuromuscular adaptation, but they won't get bigger.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    creepily tagged to follow :blushing:
  • lyssad2003
    lyssad2003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    lalala... Following
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

I do clams a few times a week. Don't underestimate the BURN they'll give your butt cheeks.