• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Everything.

True that!
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you're eating out of measuring cups, you're doing it wrong. They can be up to 30% inaccurate.

I never use measuring cups. I weigh everything. And even after 9 months of that, I still fail at eyeballing most of the time.

QFT.

I don't eyeball anything, I weigh everything that isn't a liquid.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    4 oz of wine is a sad, sad thing. 8 oz is only slightly better.

That's why I budget my calories for the entire bottle when I drink ... (600-700 calories) ... Wine and cheese ... Carbs, protein, and fat ... There's usually nuts and fruit involved, so I get some fiber too ...
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Samsonite. I was WAY off!
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    of all things, i actually UNDER estimate cheese. i almost always cut a .6 or .7 ounce piece off my block and have to go back for more to make up my 1 ounce serving.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    of all things, i actually UNDER estimate cheese. i almost always cut a .6 or .7 ounce piece off my block and have to go back for more to make up my 1 ounce serving.

spectacularly nice problem to have imo.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. One serving of ice cream is such a sad little amount.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Since I bought my digital food scale .. I measure everything, cause it is just so much fun.

My estimating was terrible .. especially things like yogourt.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a mystery....I had to re read package 900 times, lol!
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I've read a lot about weighing vs. measuring cups, and I do weigh all my meats, but I just prefer my measuring cups. I've not had a plateau and I'm down 40lbs, so I would say that the inaccuracy hasn't been an issue for me.

you must have nice cups ;-)

Really, if you use measuring cups correctly you can get good results, not to the gram, and be consistent. or you can use flatware tablespoons heaping and put lbs back on.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I've been underestimating my hot cereal I eat at work for months now. Finally got a tablespoon to keep in my desk and realize I've been logging closer to 3 tsp than 3 tbsp.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    CHEESE. It still makes me sad to see how small a 100 calorie slice is. I love cheese.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    oil. for sure.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    everything...
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    Everything!! To be honest I've never weighed anything (don't have the equipment) just eye ball by pictures. And I'm not in a position in life where I could purchase weighing stuff finacially or socially. So if you want to support each other on this healthy journery as friends I'd be very happy to! Its a growing learning process yes.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! You can't even use measuring spoons for it- I tested it with my food scale and a leveled-off tablespoon of PB weighed much more than it was "supposed to" according to the label! 1 tbsp by weight is 16g, but the tablespoon held 25g. That's way more calories! Food scale = why I've been so successful this time around!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Meat. They always say 3 oz is a deck of cards and I'd just sort of go "Ehhh that looks close enough" while not actually checking. I finally cut out an actual rectangle of meat that matched a deck of cards once and weighed it--3 oz perfectly. The portion, though, was a lot smaller than my previous 3 oz guesstimations. Definitely an eye opening moment.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I assume everything is +/- 20%. So I try to stay under my calorie budget by a few hundred calories. If I go over, I try to exercise to get back in.

I suppose when I get to maintenance I might try to cut it closer, but right now I'm losing almost a pound every other day. I'm okay with that.
  • patalves
    Options
    Cheese. I get sad when I measure 30 grams. :(
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

you must have nice cups ;-)

As a matter of fact I do! lol