Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Grocery List How-To???

Does anyone have any tips for a healthy 2-week grocery list? I am trying to minimize salt, butter and sugar... but I am also trying to avoid processed foods (for the most part) and buy fresh. It seems that if I buy 2 weeks of fresh food, a good portion of it goes bad before I get a chance to eat it. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or maybe knows a good website for building a healthy grocery list?

Replies

• JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Here is what I have so far (feel free to point out where it needs improvement):

-Plain yogurt
    -Fresh fruit (for eating alone and mixing in yogurt): pineapple, tangerines, bananas, apples.
    -Low-sodium canned soups
    -Tuna (solid-white albacore in water)
    -Wheat thins (reduced fat)
    -Wheat bread
    -Frozen/cooked shrimp
    -Eggs
    -Low-fat string cheese
    -Dried fruit
    -Pistachios
    -Pumpkin seeds
    -Celery
    -Carrots
    -Lite/Fat-free Ranch dressing
    -Chicken (boneless)
    -Jasmine Rice
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Grocery stores keep all the whole foods mostly on the outside parameter. The bigger question is why are you only trying to eat clean? I agree it's good to eat whole lean foods, but its ok to eat dirty once in awhile.

I would suggest adding some more meats to your menu.

BTW, you should be more worried about protein than sugar. Sugar is a carb and your body will process sugar like one.

one last thing. When you eliminate fat, you increase sugar. Go with full fat dressings and cheese if you want to cut down on sugar and sodium. And for the most part, it's the same amount of calories.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    bump for later
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    You can get containers that keep your veggies fresh (I have tupperware) and it really extends the life of the produce, aside from that it's hard to keep fruit and veggies fresh for two weeks, anyway you could get all your staples and then just get the produce you need every few days?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Probably need to start going shopping every week if you want to buy fresh stuff.. as most fruits will be going bad after the first week. Also expand your list of vegetables as you should be getting more than celery and carrots
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Her list has a lot of meats -- which will also go bad quickest, so in the freezer they go. You can't keep a lot of produce for 2 weeks. I'd say lettuce (my primary veggie) lasts about a week. Many can be purchased frozen, though... maybe look into that (frozen is usually as good as or better than fresh).

Bread can also be frozen.

Can't you go to the grocery store weekly?
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Bump! This is something I struggle with as well! Thank you for asking!
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    What about some frozen veggies/fruits? I use frozen fruit all the time for my protein shakes. Frozen veggies are a great side dish for meals. It might help to alleviate some of the worry over maintaining fresh produce for two weeks.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Frozen fruit and vegetables are sometimes better than fresh since they are flash frozen at the peak of ripeness. I always have things like blueberries and broccoli in my freezer for when I run out of fresh. Frozen blueberries are great in yogurt...just zap the fruit for a minute in the microwave and then stir in the yogurt. The juice blends in nicely.

I love a sweet potato with another veggie and a protein for lunch too. I bake it at home then just reheat at work.

I'm glad to see you have chicken, tuna and shrimp. I would add in salmon and some lean red meat too. I really enjoy the chicken sausages too - they have several flavors.

Good luck!
  • 7SlotFever
    7SlotFever Posts: 17 Member
    Buying fresh produce and perishables in the hopes that you can make them last for two weeks is setting yourself up for failure.
    Most vegetables will perish in a week or less in the fridge.

Buy a mix of fresh and frozen veggies. Frozen foods will not spoil, thus saving you money and you can use only the portion size that you need rather than having to cook more and then try to figure out what to do with the rest.

MANY things can be frozen. Consider making your meals in advance and freezing them. Again, this way you use the fresh goodies up before they spoil but you won't lose them to spoilage.

For your grocery list, plan your meals in advance. Then you will have your list of ingredients right in front of you.
    Well, more or less anyway. Avoiding canned vegetables will save you some additives like salt and potential preservatives.

Spend some time at the grocery store reading the labels on the things you like to eat and see what fits into your plan.
  • JeniferEverx3
    Thank you everyone. Yes I guess I can get frozen fruits and veggies (didn't really think about that) and when I shop it is mostly for food I can bring to work, and eat on the weekends. The reason I am trying to keep my list so clean is because I eat dinner almost every night with my boyfriend, who is not on a diet, so I save all my "leniency" for eating with him. I still try to eat as healthy as I can and/or eat smaller portions when we eat dinner together though.
  • Kabiti
    Thank you everyone. Yes I guess I can get frozen fruits and veggies (didn't really think about that) and when I shop it is mostly for food I can bring to work, and eat on the weekends. The reason I am trying to keep my list so clean is because I eat dinner almost every night with my boyfriend, who is not on a diet, so I save all my "leniency" for eating with him. I still try to eat as healthy as I can and/or eat smaller portions when we eat dinner together though.

There is nothing wrong with eating "clean." It seems like people on here assume you're going to freak out at some point and snarf down an entire box of cookies.

On the other hand... they are "sometimes" foods for a reason. Want ice cream? Cookies? Pizza? Sure - keep it in your calorie goals and have it once in a while (or like you said... dinners that aren't so good with smaller portions).

I like bulky, low-cal foods like salads... which allows me to eat around 90% "clean" and not feel deprived. (My vices are mini ice cream sandwiches @ 100 cal, and whiskey @ 100 cal --- neither are a daily thing).
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Another option for veggies: buy them from a local farm or farmers market. Veggies from the supermarket go bad so fast because they were picked a week before your bought them. We have a local organic farm that picks a box of vegetables for you a half hour before you pick them up. They last two weeks in my fridge. Look for a CSA or farmers market if you want fresh vegetables that last.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    I buy fresh produce, but I keep in mind that fresh produce looses nutrients the moment it's picked off the vine. Even if it doesn't go bad in your fridge, fresh produce will loose most of its nutritional value, other than fiber, well before two weeks is up.

When I buy fresh produce, I buy the freshest I can find, try to buy locally, and plan to eat it in a week or less. That's why I rely on frozen and canned veggies as well. They are picked at the height of their freshness, and frozen or canned right away, to preserve their nutrients. You can also learn to freeze and can your own. It isn't hard, and it's very satisfying.

For two weeks I usually get (for just me, you may have to adjust your purchases if you have a hubby or kids at home)
    1 loaf of 100% whole wheat bread
    1 pack of 100% whole wheat flat bread
    1 bag ground flax seed (this will last more than 2 weeks, and store It in your fridge)
    14 nonfat yogurts
    1 container nonfat cottage cheese
    1qt skim milk or more if I need if for a recipe
    Low fat or nonfat cheese for sandwiches
    small container of nonfat sour cream if I need if for a recipe or garnish (will also last longer than 2 weeks)
    1 dozen eggs (these are great for quick suppers and often last more than 2 weeks)
    2 containers of hummus (you can make your own too)
    2 containers of Laughing Cow light cheese (I know it's processed, but it's tasty and handy when you need something creamy)
    4 bags assorted frozen veggies (May last longer than 2 weeks, if I am using a lot of fresh produce)
    1 bag frozen fruit (in the winter, when there isn't much fresh fruit in season)
    Whatever meats I have determined I need for two weeks, based on loss leaders and projected menus
    Sliced turkey or other lean lunchmeat for quick sandwiches

I buy enough fresh produce to last a week, and then shop for more.

Pantry staples I keep that last much longer than two weeks include
    Canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green beans, nonfat refried beans, hominy (I use it in soups)
    Canned Mandarin oranges and pineapple
    Canned tuna in water
    100% whole wheat pasta
    Dried beans
    Barley/Lentils/Couscous
    Peanut butter
    Old Fashioned Oats
    Bread crumbs
    Brown Sugar/Honey/Real Maple Syrup (Yes, I do eat these in recipes)
    Spices
    Tea/Coffee
    Diet Hot Cocoa (other than Laughing Cow lite cheese, my only "diet food" indulgence)

Hope this helps.
  • JeniferEverx3
    LOL yes exactly. I eat as healthy as I can during the day/at work so that I don't have to make dinner with boyfriend a nightmare lol. He's a picky eater and he usually insists on cooking if we don't go out to eat so I try to go along with whatever he feels like eating/making for dinner. I just eat smaller portions depending on how unhealthy it is, or if we go to the grocery store sometimes we pick seperate side dishes so I can have more control over what I eat with the steak, grilled chicken, bratwursts or what-have-you that he is going to make. I do also allow myself to to eat snacks that are not-so-healthy when I have a craving so I am not totally depriving myself.
  • Kabiti
    LOL yes exactly. I eat as healthy as I can during the day/at work so that I don't have to make dinner with boyfriend a nightmare lol. He's a picky eater and he usually insists on cooking if we don't go out to eat so I try to go along with whatever he feels like eating/making for dinner. I just eat smaller portions depending on how unhealthy it is, or if we go to the grocery store sometimes we pick seperate side dishes so I can have more control over what I eat with the steak, grilled chicken, bratwursts or what-have-you that he is going to make. I do also allow myself to to eat snacks that are not-so-healthy when I have a craving so I am not totally depriving myself.

Steak, grilled chicken... good for you! Brats, maybe less so, but not terrible (just really, really high fat and salt usually).
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    I buy a lot of fresh produce and you do have to go to the store more often-I usually go twice a week. Frozen fruits and veggies are a good alternative-just look for ones that don't have extra ingredients added.
  • I do a menu for the two weeks and only buy what is on my list. This reduces the junk we all love. Saves money too.
  • jus_Taryn
    jus_Taryn Posts: 13 Member
    Try to meal plan instead of just grabbing what ever is heathly' Write what you want for you'll have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then when you get home actually meal prep, prepare majority of your lunches that you are going to take to work or whatever it is that you want for throughout the week. When things are readily available its easier to just grab and go. That makes yourself use up the fresh veggies and helps you stay on track. If you stick to your menu then you'll wont waste as much. Works for me when I do it like that.
  • JeniferEverx3
    Thank you everyone. This is all good advice I'm going to implement as soon as I get home! After work I'll have more time to sit at my laptop and plan it all out a little better. Thanks again!!