PLEASE HELP I AM STARTING TO FEEL DEFEATED

Options

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Why do you not eat dinner. You body requires calories to burn fat and if you only eat two meals a day your body metabolism reduces due to lack of fuel. If you eat 1370 of calories per day and are really burning 800 it could be unhealthy. Also you Zumba calories I feel are too high.

There's nothing wrong with only eating two meals a day, as long as the right amount of calories are being consumed. Meal frequency is a preference thing and nothing more. Op is not getting in enough calories, so she needs to add more, but she could up the calories in her two meals and be fine, if she prefers eating less meals.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Why do you not eat dinner. You body requires calories to burn fat and if you only eat two meals a day your body metabolism reduces due to lack of fuel. If you eat 1370 of calories per day and are really burning 800 it could be unhealthy. Also you Zumba calories I feel are too high.

How many times a day one eats doesn't matter at all so long as they are eating the amount of calories they are supposed to. She could eat once a day and be perfectly fine.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    There's another method apart from MFP, Amy, - using TDEE - 20% and that way you don't have to log exercise and you have a constant daily calorie goal. Something to think about anyway.

You're doing great, stick with!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Second to Hildy's comment - personally I found the TDEE method much less error prone and the consistency made it easier to live with, without question.

It's classic YMMV territory, of course, but something worth considering.
  • amygoldstein23
    amygoldstein23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am curious, do any of you who posted re Zumba actually do Zumba?
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    I tried Zumba for a couple of months - I have some questions:

a. Why is the room so crowded - how is this conducive to exercise/dance?
    b. Why does everyone else in the room know the steps except me?
    c. Why is the woman on a LOUDSPEAKER? This just raises my stress levels!
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I do Zumba!! I really think you are overestimating how many calories you burn. I burn between 400-600 in a good class. Plus, look at other message boards about eating your exercise calories, I don't eat any of mine. I see a nutritionist and try to stick with a 1500 calorie target, plus no more than 50g of fat a day.

Think of food as fuel for your body, I know how difficult Zumba is so you're probably needing more protein and complex carbs. I haven't looked at your diary but fast food is detrimental no matter how well you track it. Look into some healthy meals you can create for your week for easy on the goal meals!!

Also, I keep my sodium to 1500mg a day and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY!!

Don't get discouraged, EVERY body is different. Some of these comments have been harsh and that's the last thing you need!! Please feel to add me so we can share tips and diary entries!
  • amygoldstein23
    Options
    Hildy: to answer your ??? Maybe try a new studio. Where I go, the room is large and there are a set amount of people allowed in each class. The dance moves are repetitive, and a good instructor will go over them before and during.. I dont blame you about not wanting to hear anyone over a loud speaker, my instructors are on a stage and not mic'ed. Also my studio (Studio X) is black lit and disco balled. All who are telling me how many calories I am burning are false, may not know all aspects of my work out, considering how much I weigh currently. Tonight I will wear my husbands fidit and post results. As far as fast food goes, i didnt understand what anyone meant, due to the fact that I do not eat fast food, however I do add comparable items available on mfp to give me an idea of say a grilled fish sandwich i make at home. My guilty pleasure is in fact Chinese take out, and thankfully it was come to a considerable halt. in fairness, i posted for positive vibes, we are all here for a reason.. But I will put this out there, until you've done 60 minutes of Zumba high intensity, I wouldn't doubt the caloric loss..
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough, if what you added in your diary is true. Eat more!
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    RE: Zumba i went and also double checked 60 minutes of even low impact zumba at my weight and the min number on 3 different sites is 765 for 60 minutes.

Seems a bit high. I do an hour of bootcamp and usually burn around 350 calories based on my HRM. And this is 50 minutes of very high intensity.
  • amygoldstein23
    Options
    we will know more after I post tonight! I may be right, I may be wrong...
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Hildy: to answer your ??? Maybe try a new studio. Where I go, the room is large and there are a set amount of people allowed in each class. The dance moves are repetitive, and a good instructor will go over them before and during.. I dont blame you about not wanting to hear anyone over a loud speaker, my instructors are on a stage and not mic'ed.

Cheers sweetie - I reckon that's it. This class even though it was in a massive gym had no limit and it was frustrating trying not to get hit in the face and hang on to 'my spot'. I love, love, love dancing - will have to try somewhere else. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

PS Get some food scales for your kitchen :wink:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have done several different intensity Zumba classes. The worst instructor was actually the one that stopped to explain everything. That was also the lowest intensity one seeing as we were constantly stopping.

I wasn't able to do more than a half hour of the highest intensity class. There was very little time between songs and you were in constant movement. It was super fun but well beyond my ability to do for 60min.

The middle intensity also had little time between songs BUT she would start off each song with the easiest way to perform the steps for those who needed it and then raise it up to the highest difficulty. Her class is AWESOME. I can do the full hour but I have to take a breather once in a while.

The medium class burns around 300-500cals max depending on what you do. If your class stops to explain then you definitely aren't doing enough to burn as high as you indicated.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You would do better to add the ingredients yourself, as you weigh and measure them. An "idea" is no more than that.

Yes. Invest in a kitchen scale. Guessing, using comparable items (unless you absolutely need to), using measuring cups, eyeballing is inaccurate. I was beyond surprised at how much more extra I was actually eating when I got mine. Having a kitchen scale really let's me control everything that goes into a recipe or meal that I make at home.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Two things:1. I did Zumba for 6 months, 60 minutes classes, and burned about 500-700 calories according to my HRM. But your age, cardiovascular fitness (which determines your heart rate and recovery rate) and weight will determine how many calories you burn. At the time I weighed between 30-60 pounds more than I do currently. The most "accurate" ones are the ones with a chest strap that constantly record your HR. The more data points you have, the more accurate your estimate when plugged into the formula.
    2. I second buying a kitchen scale and strongly recommend getting a digital one with a flat surface so you can set your plate or bowl right on top of it. The best part about it is you don't have to individually measure everything out, you can just reset the scale to zero before you add each menu item to your plate. For example, tonight I ate chicken tortilla soup. I put the bowl on the scale and added the measured portion (1/8 of recipe, all measured/weighed before cooked) to the bowl, set to zero, added shredded cheese, reset, added tortilla strips, reset, added sour cream (it's a semi-liquid, so it gets weighed if added on top), etc. Easiest thing ever.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi - Thanks for posting here and I am really impressed with all the positive helpful replies.

I Used a Nike Fuelband for 3 months and I discovered it is the biggest marketing scam I have ever seen. What tipped me off is that I took a 3 hour drive for work and it said I burned 1500 fuel points. I threw it away and bought a real Heart Rate Monitor and started doing some research.

Good luck in your journey! :smile:
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am 100% confident that you require to eat more calories. Low carb isn't the best way to go unless you are compensating for it somewhere else in your macros.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba every week for 45 minutes and my fitbit only gives me MAYBE an extra 100 calories. I am 160 lbs. When I was using MFP prior to my fitbit it was giving me like 500. I think you are overestimating calories burned.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump. Curious about fitbit results later.

Edited, would like a little more info-
    Your profile says you've lost 33 pounds.
    Also, you live in the US, and logged some Canadian entries, which definitely had caloric differences, so I'm wondering if you are doing accurate research before logging prepared menu items.