What is with this league thing?

Options
Vain_Witch
Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
Ok, I just saw a post about a guy who's in love with a girl who's out of his league.

I just broke up with my boyfriend this weekend, and I keep being told (even before we broke up) that I was way out of his league and to stop dating down. Some of those same friends were talking yesterday about how another one of thier friends needs to stop trying to date guys that are out of her league and she needs to settle for something less.

What the heck is this league thing?

Personally, I've never considered myself better than anyone. Granted, I have at times considered myself beneath other people, but NEVER above them. I just don't think that way.

Is it just me, or is this league thing a little silly?

Replies

• Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think it is completely silly...people use it as an excuse to not interact with people because they think "they're out of my league, I'd never stand a chance". How can you know unless you actually get to know the person?

I've had friends tell me the same thing about my ex. Yet we dated for almost 5 years and they never said anything about it. Part of me thinks they're saying it in an attempt to make me feel better about the breakup, which it didn't. Perhaps your friends are attempting something similar?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you think that's bad, consider this.

I'm totally out of my own league.
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    If you think that's bad, consider this.

I'm totally out of my own league.

That must make for some cold lonely nights... :laugh:
  • Cavegirlbelly
    Options
    Agreed! It's a childish appraisal of another person's value based (usually) on perceived attraction. Sometimes it's based on other factors like whether they have jobs and what the job is, but that's just another dimension of judgement based on money.

And if it's not bad enough that these people have these opinions about others, they feel the need to share it! Which I really don't get. Because if your friend is happy with someone, who cares what these people think?

And if sharing these opinions isn't bad enough, the "league" system is so ingrained in us that it has become yet another way for us to compare ourselves with each other and feel insecure and inadequate.

Smh.

I say leave all this crap. Love your self, love the one you're with. Forget the rest.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you watch big bang theory, I would say that the women they date are all out of their league.
    Were you dating someone like that.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Granted, I have at times considered myself beneath other people, but NEVER above them. I just don't think that way.
    *takes a number* YAH! I'm number 1 to be above you OR beneath, I really don't care which position it is.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Just because it's silly doesn't make it less true
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    a league is 3000 fathoms, or roughly 3 miles.

thus my league is a circle of radius 3 miles around my home.

the distance between CO and GA is many hundreds of miles.

therefore mathematically speaking... OP is way out of my league. :cry:
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    Granted, I have at times considered myself beneath other people, but NEVER above them. I just don't think that way.
    *takes a number* YAH! I'm number 1 to be above you OR beneath, I really don't care which position it is.

AD, I'll take you above or under...just get over here! :love: :love: :bigsmile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just means your what they define has "hot" and he was what they defined as "quasimodo." Just because adult humans love to pretend they are still in high school, and need to remain in cliques and leagues. Pretend youre 14 again and you'll understand.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I definitely out-kicked my coverage with my old lady.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think it is completely silly...people use it as an excuse to not interact with people because they think "they're out of my league, I'd never stand a chance". How can you know unless you actually get to know the person?

I've had friends tell me the same thing about my ex. Yet we dated for almost 5 years and they never said anything about it. Part of me thinks they're saying it in an attempt to make me feel better about the breakup, which it didn't. Perhaps your friends are attempting something similar?

This chick is totally out of my league...
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you watch big bang theory, I would say that the women they date are all out of their league.
    ahhh...but "leagues" can be crossed. BBT guys are 9 + in intelligence, thus being able to get Priya AND Penny
  • Cavegirlbelly
    Options
    a league is 3000 fathoms.

^ truth. but what's a fathom? didn't he have an opera or something :wink:
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    I definitely out-kicked my coverage with my old lady.

I think everyone in love should feel this way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Obviously, people tend to date some one on the same level of attractiveness, and/or income, background, education, intelligence, ect as them. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Date whomever you'd like.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Screech and Lisa Turtle
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ahhh...but "leagues" can be crossed. BBT guys are 9 + in intelligence, thus being able to get Priya AND Penny

its potential earning power or gross income what's a physicist make in today's market? Some women get tricked into thinking all smart guys have Bill Gates' earning power.

Plus, media cant show nerd love the freaky sex would make it an X rating
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This league thing started way back with Snow White and Cinderella.

Seriously, its true. I saw it on Once Upon a Time, and read about it on the internet.
    Women and men cannot be together if one is "better" than the other.

Yup, saw it... it's true.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I loved Priya but she is way out of my league, especially since I am 56