Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yeah... stop eating out. its pretty simple
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Share a meal with a friend (cuts down on costs too!). Order an appetizer (or side dishes) only. Bring your own food, eat it before you go to lunch and then just have a water at the restaurant. This way you can still have the socializing experience without the food.

I find that eating out is a really bad trigger for me. Portion sizes are too big and the salt content is out of control. I try to limit it as much as possible. Sharing a meal works really well for me and my best friend. Good luck to you!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I like it.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Go out once a week instead of every day OR plan very, very carefully... bring half of every meal home for dinner (easier said than done if you have a family).

I could certainly fit in a restaurant lunch, but it would mean really restricting all the rest of the day, and I like to give myself more leeway.

But you know, 21 lbs in a year is probably less than I would have gained if I ate from a restaurant every day, so nice going there ;)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Stop. Eating. Out.

Bring your own lunches so you have control .......

I got an insulated lunch bag with icepak and thermos ...... I bring leftovers from dinner ...... and soups, stews, chili, homemade salads, mini-bagels & lean deli meats, cheesesticks, cut up veggies, hummus, fruit, nuts, popcorn, and so on ......

Good luck :drinker:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Even if you started eating out 3 times a week instead of 5 and then kept cutting back you'll see a difference. It's hard to change drastically immediately.

Try to bring lunch from home as often as possible. You will save a ton of money - and use the money you save to buy new clothes as you lose weight :) Try protein bars, lean cuisines - anything quick if you are having a tough time planning time. Lean cuisines have high sodium but so does restaurant food. These aren't perfect suggestions but they will start helping you make a difference. I often times grab a protein bar, cucumber, string cheese, and yogurt or almonds to eat throughout the day. I don't eat perfect but this is what works for me - everyone is different.

When you do go out - a lot of people have already mentioned - check the nutrition facts online first. Always ask for a box immediately. At Chipotle get a naked burrito - no white rice either. At BW3 they have naked chicken tenders - which is like chicken strips without the breading and you can get a side salad with dressing on the side.

Remember you can always modify meals you see. If they have a chicken breast sandwich smothered in cheese and mayo - skip the cheese or the mayo and get veggies instead of fries.

It's so hard to make huge changes at the drop of a dime so my best advice isn't to say you aren't going to eat out ever again but make sure you are prepared.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Here's a few pointers to get started...

Look for the grilled chicken things.
    Avoid breaded and/or deep fried anything.
    Thin, brothy soups are pretty good.
    Salads with vinaigrette dressings are usually okay.
    Say away from heavy pastas.
    Pass on big bread sandwiches. If you get a burger or sandwich take one of the breads or buns off.
    Opt for fruit and vegetable sides.
    Don't get things covered in cheese.
    Keep away from creamy sandwich spreads (mayo, ranch, thousand island). Mustards and hot sauces are the way to go.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lkqm0enAZt1qh59n0o1_500.gif
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Since my parents' recent seperation, most of the time I only get to see my mom when we make plans to go out for breakfast or dinner. Breakfast at a restaurant is usually pretty easy - most places offer plenty of healthier options. But when it comesto dinner, my mom usually likes to go places that don't really have those options. My mom and I both watch what we eat so when we go to dinner we only eat half the portion, and take the other half home for lunch or dinner the next day. You just have to order something that will still be good when heated up the following day.
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I ask for a "to go" box when I get my meal... cut in half and take half home. I still try to eat sensibly and prepare by becoming familar with the menu prior over the internet if possible. Depending on my overall plan for the day, may even even a little lighter before/after to make the calorie count all work out for the day. Very do-able though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just say NO. Plan ahead and bring your own lunch. Stop the ridiculousness.

Order out maybe once a month and when you do that, split a chinese order with another co-worker. So you only get half.
    this.

you know what the problem is. Cook for yourself and be done with it.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    don't eat out,,, PERIOD!

Ewwww...especially that

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Well, if she pays on the first date, then I guess I'd better.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Where I work eating out has become a 5 day/week ritual.

so stop.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ummm stop eating out ever day...?

Ever Sunday I grill about six or seven chicken breasts and then the night before I chop it up into something or make some kind of sandwich...you can also buy turkey breast, ham, etc and make your own lunch...
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    Take your own lunch to the restaurant. In many places they don't bother if only one person in a group is not ordering and munching something else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not easy to prepare food vs. being served at a restaurant.

disagrees..it is easy to prepare food. Take four slices of turkey breast, put on bread, add some lettuce and tomato, and lunch is ready..that takes about five minutes.

Or pre cook a bunch of chicken on Sunday and throw it in the fridge...or through the chicken in slow cooker, remove, shred, and store...
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My job is the same, they make a big deal out of everyone voting where they want to eat and then everyone sits in the conference room and eats together like a big family.

I just pack a lunch and bring it, everyone understands and they even commend me sometimes on my "strong will"

My go to foods for lunch are steam-able vegetables *microwavable* and precooked chicken that I marinade and grill at home.

Chinese *they have steamed vegetables and meat you can try that
    Mexican *they have sandwiches or salads
    Chipotle *burrito bowl with all the vegetables and grilled chicken
    for Bob Evans, Buffalo Wild Wings just look at the menu I am sure they have healthy options

For me, the social aspect is half the temptation, so I'd just like to say how awesome you are for sticking to your guns, and how cool your co-workers are for being supportive.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Put this in perspective. STOP!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not easy to prepare food vs. being served at a restaurant.

disagrees..it is easy to prepare food. Take four slices of turkey breast, put on bread, add some lettuce and tomato, and lunch is ready..that takes about five minutes.

Or pre cook a bunch of chicken on Sunday and throw it in the fridge...or through the chicken in slow cooker, remove, shred, and store...

this. this. oh and his last post too.

i happen to be one of the ones that prepares the weeks food sunday night (most weeks), but it doesnt even have to be that involved. take a loaf of bread to work and a pound of meat. *gasp* how hard was that again?

edit for: spells