The hardest part... being honest with MYSELF!

Options
I've been using this website for a week now, and it helps a LOT! I sometimes find myself thinking about logging a little less than what I actually ate, or logging a little more excercise than I actually did. I have to remind myself that if I do that, it's cheating... not cheating the site, but cheating ME!

Does anybody else have trouble with being honest with yourself?

Replies

• ByTheBeach
    Options
    i understand!! it's easy to tell yourself a lie. but in the end, i guess the old advice rings true - honesty is the best policy!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If anything, I do the opposite. I log less exercise because I think the MFP's estimate is too high or I log a whole meal when I really only at half, etc.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think most people struggle with that initially .. but as you said, it's only yourself you are impacting. Don't worry - it gets easier to be brutally honest with ourselves because if we are serious about wanting to lose weight and make a lifestyle change, we know we have.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I find what keeps me honest is the accountability, which is why I set my diary so my friends can see it.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If anything, I do the opposite. I log less exercise because I think the MFP's estimate is too high or I log a whole meal when I really only at half, etc.

I do this too! I don't really trust MFP's estimates so I err on the side of caution to allow myself a little extra calorie "cushion", haha.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :) I reallize that if I lie to myself by not logging things in correctly, it won't reflect "in the end"... pun intended!
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I tend to go the other way. I really see this site as nothing but a tool for me on my weight loss path. I don't see it as something that anyone else will ever see or really even care about, so if it's only for me, and specifically for my weight loss then I'm going to make sure it's slanted toward weight loss even if that makes me look bad...again, it's only for me, so I'm only going to look bad to me. I also think that it's possible that there are some hidden calories that I didn't think about, so I guess if I under record my calories, all the better.
    As for exercise, I have a heart rate monitor so that I can record the actual calories burned, rather than the estimated calories burned calculated here. However, I only record my calories burned during my cardio sessions...and yoga (mostly because I'm curious about calories burned during yoga). But I don't record calories burned during any strength exercise or really anything else I do during the day. In my mind it's just a little extra something that's good for me.

But that's just me.