constancy...I am lost

Options
alfranklin23
alfranklin23 Posts: 15 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
How to maintain it? I work a full time job as a teacher. I have three kids under the age of 5. I struggle with having the energy to work out. I have tried in the mornings and evenings both feel like a chore. I log my food sometimes. Can you please tell me what you do or did to have constancy so I can see the scale move down more...) THANKS IN ADVANCE

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    For me it was about changing my goals and realizing it was a process.

My goal used to be similar to yours: Lose weight or get to XXX pounds. Then I realized that losing weight isn't something you do. It's a result of the things you do. As long as I was focused on a result (which is out of my control) then I was bound for frustration. So I changed my goal to something I could actually do. Eat XXXX number of calories. Do XX minutes of exercise. Having goals I could actually accomplish was hugely motivating for me. Each week I reduced calories in by just a bit and increased calories out by just a bit. The weight took care of itself.

The process part came in when I realized that there were days that wouldn't be good. I didn't feel like it, or whatever. I started viewing things in terms of the week. MFP has a weekly summary that's great for this. As long as I was successful on 4 days then it was a good week.

Now to your specific situation: Do you eat breakfast? Can you find a sitter for an hour? Perhaps you can find a workout that you enjoy more. Maybe something dance oriented like Zumba. If it's something you like, it feels less like a chore. Just move :)
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time...and remember that it's not just about today, your next weigh in, or even a year from now...it's about your health...your life...for the rest of your life.

If you find yourself hating your workouts, it's time to change them. You're not going to keep doing something you don't like. So join a zumba class...start swimming...I hate treadmills (I feel like a hamster- so I limit the treadmill to 15 minutes a day) and focus on weights...because I actually like doing weights.

I also put my daughter on her bike and chase after her...that's cardio I actually enjoy because I like that quality time with her.

You just have to find something you like...so that you keep doing them.
This discussion has been closed.