how come i cant tell i lost weight.

Options
how come I cant tell a difference in losing weight? is it because I have a lot to lose and not just a little? I weighed 261 when I first started eating healthy I weigh 227 now I lost 33 pounds so far and I still cant see a difference do you think its because I need a lot to lose? after I lose another 30 pounds do you think it will look like I lost weight? do you think most of the 33 pounds I lost was water weight?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I doubt you lost 33lbs of water weight, but that was probably some of it (definitely not likely to be more than 10lbs). The truth is that you look at yourself every day, so if there isn't a visible difference in your body composition, you're going to have a hard time seeing the difference. Do your clothes fit differently? Have your measurements changed? Can others tell that you've lost weight? It's my personal experience that self-perception is usually the last one to catch up when losing weight.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Photos in your undies every 30 days.

You basically have residual self image. It's where you see yourself as you basically used to be, not as you are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Do you take progress photos? You look at yourself in the mirror every day, so it's hard to see that change until it becomes pretty drastic. Also, if you have negative body image issues, that can also interfere with the perception of yourself. Pictures are the way to go.

And yes, to some extent you are correct in that a 30 Lb loss on someone with a lot to lose isn't going to be as noticeable as it is on someone with say, 50 Lbs to lose.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This is normal when i lose weight it is usually someone who hasn't seen me for a couple of months who notices it rather than myself or those i have daily contact with
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Most people don't start looking cut until sub 10% body fat.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Photos in your undies every 30 days.

You basically have residual self image. It's where you see yourself as you basically used to be, not as you are.

33 pounds is a lot. I agree with the above. Find a before picture and take one now and compare. Looking in the mirror doesn't always work. Are your clothes fitting better? I started at 265 and am down to 231 now (34 pounds). I still am wearing the same clothes but they are defiantly looser. Don't get down on yourself. You're doing great.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Weight loss does not necessarily mean a change in body composition. When you lose weight without an emphasis on body composition you end up looking like a smaller version of yourself.

People that want to get toned/ripped should emphasize on fat loss, not weight loss.

There is a difference.....