Too much sugar

bethany_jurries
bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone!

I am wondering does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the insane amount of sugar in EVERYTHING??? I know I should not drink pop or eat candy but what about every day food? Milk, bread, fruit? Someone on a tv show once said people should not eat more that 15 grams of sugar a day! I am over 100 a day? I don't know how to help that. I know that sugar is a lot of the problem for belly fat. HELP PLEASE! Thanks! :-)

Replies

• I think there's so much benefit from eating natural sugar (like those in fruits and veggies) that it outweighs - no pun intended - the downside of having too much sugar. If you're getting all of that sugar from whole foods instead of from processed sweets, you get the benefits of all the fiber, minerals, and vitamins in that food.

Now if you got majority of your sugar intake from eating candy, donuts, etc etc, that's what will hurt you.

Its sort of insane that one large apple will put you over your sugar for the day (at least it does for me), but as long as you don't go too nuts with the fruit, it's all good, in my opinion.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    I just changed my settings on my diary to include sugar, and I realized that I'm eating too much! I'm only 13g over for the day, but still...
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    try vegetables instead of fruits. i have the same issue, trying to get the sugars under control. if anyone finds a way... let me know
  • I really like the Jello Sugar-free Pudding snacks. They have yummy chocolate ones and the mousse ones are really good. (my favorite is the Chocolate Mint Mousse) They are only 60 calories! I feel like I am having a treat without the sugar and the calories. Then, I don't want to eat the "bad" sugar stuff. The Jello Sugar-free jello cups are good too. They are only 10 calories!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    I just took my sugars off what I track cause I was so sick of seeing it in the red everyday cause of my fruit. I do not eat stuff with added sugar, so I am good. I just can't freak out over the fruit thing. It was making me crazy!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    One answer that keeps coming up to this question is that we should limit our added sugars and not be concerned with sugar from fruit. I am gonna start entering my own fruit to the database, with everything BUT the amount of sugar included. I'll name it something obvious so I don't mess other people up, but this is the only solution I have come up with. This will give us a way to track added or refined sugars without messing with the natural ones. It's kinda hard to track otherwise.. unless you include the fruit, and then your two servings of fruit a day keep us from having anything else with sugar. Does this sound like a good idea? If anyone else is interested, ill be happy to let yall know when I add to DB~
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I just took my sugars off what I track cause I was so sick of seeing it in the red everyday cause of my fruit. I do not eat stuff with added sugar, so I am good. I just can't freak out over the fruit thing. It was making me crazy!

I did the same thing...most of the sugar I eat comes from natural fruits, not processed foods. I'm tracking my sodium instead which is KILLING me. One stinking serving of pretzels destroys me!
  • I hated seeing the red about the sugar. I didn't realize until a few days in that I was going WAY over my limit! Twenty-four grams is so few!

BUT! There is good news:

One - most of the sugar that you see in dairy products like milk and yogurt isn't "real" sugar, it's a dairy sugar that has to labeled as such because it breaks down differently in the body (or something like that). At any rate, I was told on WeightWatchers to disregard the amount of sugar in dairy products because it's not refined sugar.

Two - I think MFP is referring to any added sugars in foods (like refined sugar) because one serving of fresh fruit should NOT put you anywhere near the "red-zone".

I personally don't really look at the sugar anymore, especially when I know I'm eating healthily. However, I will still try to avoid certain foods that have a lot of added sugar like granola, sugary glazes on meat, and "low-fat" treats that are still pumped up with sugar.
  • I did the same thing...most of the sugar I eat comes from natural fruits, not processed foods. I'm tracking my sodium instead which is KILLING me. One stinking serving of pretzels destroys me!

No idea if this would be of any interest to you, but I saw a recipe where you take slices of granny smith apples and sprinkle a bit of kosher salt on them -- you get to control the amount of sodium you're adding, and you still get the "crunchy/salty" fix.
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi,

I decided to ignore my sugar intake and track sodium instead. I seriously doubt that counting all sugars equally makes any sense. Fruit contains mainly fructose which is absorbed very diffrently by the body, so it doesn't trigger insulin in the same degree as sccharose (=refined sugar). Same goes for dairy products without added sugar. I'm trying to avoid refined sugar and keeping below my carb limit in general, that's all. Still have to see if that works, but I don't eat huge amounts of fruit and dairy on the other side.:smile:

Karin
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member

I'm in the same boat, even a small amount of fruit makes my sugar go over, and I think it's totally unfair! I wonder why and how they estimated that small amount of sugar allowance anyways. If it's a diabetic person I can understand it, but I'm a healthy person and going over my sugar because of fruit is really frustrating to see!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    I just subtrack the sugar from fruits from the total. I am a diabetic and it drives me crazy, I eat at least 2 fruits and I go right over, I never add sugar to anything and buy light yogurt. I may just switch the sugar out with tracking something else.
This discussion has been closed.