I lose weight more efficiently when I don't work out, why?

Options
2»

Replies

• potatobug1985
    Options
    I have a particular question for you:

If you are doing a high intensity workout (Insanity) and your muscles are requiring more glycogen to repair the muscles but you are eating a diet that mostly deprives your body from sugar/carbs (and therefore no glycogen reserves), where does your body turn to to repair the muscle? Or does it start to poorly function at that point. I am eating a low carb diet but starting to do Insanity again starting today but I want to make sure that this equation is healthy for my body and will promote continued weight loss. I appreciate your insight!
  • potatobug1985
    Options
    Working out breaks down muscle and depletes glycogen. Muscle needs energy to repair along with higher amounts of water. So the body retains more water and stores more glycogen in anticipation that another workout looms around the corner. When one doesn't work out, the muscle atrophies (deflates like a balloon) and gets weaker. It doesn't require as much water and glycogen now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have a particular question for you:

If you are doing a high intensity workout (Insanity) and your muscles are requiring more glycogen to repair the muscles but you are eating a diet that mostly deprives your body from sugar/carbs (and therefore no glycogen reserves), where does your body turn to to repair the muscle? Or does it start to poorly function at that point. I am eating a low carb diet but starting to do Insanity again starting today but I want to make sure that this equation is healthy for my body and will promote continued weight loss. I appreciate your insight!
  • kocolugo
    kocolugo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My body was doing the same thing to me a few months ago. I have no scientific answers for you. What I found was working out with weights for some reason wasn't helping my weight loss success. Now I use the elliptical and eat about 1200 calories and I see a noticeable difference. You just have to keep a very close eye on what is and is not working for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My body was doing the same thing to me a few months ago. I have no scientific answers for you. What I found was working out with weights for some reason wasn't helping my weight loss success. Now I use the elliptical and eat about 1200 calories and I see a noticeable difference. You just have to keep a very close eye on what is and is not working for you.

You were maintaining muscle mass with lifting, and therefore the weight drops slower as you are losing fat and maintaining water for muscle repair. The elliptical is strictly cardio. You're losing fat, water, and especially muscle mass. That is why the scale moves faster. Tape measure is a much better indication of progress than the scale.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    You'll lose weight faster without working out, but you'll look better if you do work out. A smaller marshmallow is still a marshmallow.

This!! and what the certified guy said lol I was lifting weights and got down to my lowest weight slowely but was so toned and had no cellutlite then I got sick and havnt been into the gym for a few weeks and am still dropping lbs but notice I look lose and jiggly yuck! Note to self.. get your *kitten* back to the gym lol
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Working out breaks down muscle and depletes glycogen. Muscle needs energy to repair along with higher amounts of water. So the body retains more water and stores more glycogen in anticipation that another workout looms around the corner. When one doesn't work out, the muscle atrophies (deflates like a balloon) and gets weaker. It doesn't require as much water and glycogen now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This makes sense
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    to answer your 2nd queston glycogen is not needed as much by the muscles after a hard workout. They need protein. so a Low Carb diet goes along with lifting fairly well. Where the lack of glycogen is going to hurt you is you won't have as much energy for your next workout if your glycogen stores are depleted. It will though help your body to burn up more fat but that is harder for the body so your energy level is going to suffer.

One final comment. If your going mountain climbing shouldn't you being doing allot fo cardio and walking and hiking to get ready for that hike? You could very well lose the 20 lbs but not be in very good shape and really suffer on your mountain climbing vs being in great shape and strong but being 20 lbs heavier and having a much easier time climbing the mountain.

I was sick this year with a kidney stone and dropped nearly 20 lbs in 6 weeks because I was not eating or excercising. When it was all over I was incredibly weak and though I was lighter everyone said I didn't look good (my face was really drawn). So back to the gym and excrecise and 6 weeks later I put back 15 of those pounds but was feeling much better and much stronger (ie. I put back allot of the muscle that I lost).

Really wishing your mountain climbing goes well!
  • mreimer102
    mreimer102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping your metabolism going by eating every few hours? It makes a difference if it is a healthy snack and the right portion control amount?
    Melba
  • mreimer102
    mreimer102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've heard you have to trick your body by changing the calorie intake; eating more, or apples between each meal and before bedtime. I know that if we get too predictable, our body will stall. We have to surprise. Changing our exercise routine will help. Instead of me walking; maybe bicycling, or running or high intensity exercise; or increasing protein intake. Sometimes we just need to give our body a break.
    Melba