Atkins vs MFP

Has anybody tried both atkins and myfitnesspal? In April I started doing atkins, and lost about 30-35 pounds. Then since about July I've been not dieting. Then I started doing MFP and haven't had as much success. Has anyone tried both diets? In your opinion which is better?

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Never heard of the My Fitness Pal diet. Must be new.

Anything that is short-term is worthless. Learn how to eat. Atkins will result in quick weightloss but for how long? Most people end up regaining most of their new found weight loss.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,206 Member
    Congrats on the 30-35 weight loss. The main idea behind MFP is to log what you eat, so it helps you stay accountable. You will need to find what works for you to help you maintain and if needed further your weight loss. No diet fits all. What works for one may or may not work for another. Glad you joined up.
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    I did Atkins for a while about 12 years ago. I lost some weight, but wasn't able to sustain the life-long low carb thing, so I gained it all back (plus a lot more... although that's my own fault).

I've been finding MFP much more practical. I think the main reason is because it requires me to pay close attention to my food choices, so I'm learning a lot about portion sizes and caloric content. For me, those lessons are the linchpin of improving my diet.
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    I found www.eatingwell.com and there are 1200, 1400, 1600 and 2000 calorie lifestyle diet plans complete with menus and recipes. 7 or 28 day plans so you don't get bored. I love the Mozzarella stuffed turkey burgers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I found www.eatingwell.com and there are 1200, 1400, 1600 and 2000 calorie lifestyle diet plans complete with menus and recipes. 7 or 28 day plans so you don't get bored. I love the Mozzarella stuffed turkey burgers.
    Those look tasty. Seems like a good resource for folks who don't know where to start, but want to eat healthier and lose weight. Mozz stuffed burgers sound delish!

Learning to eat healthier sounds pretty sustainable to me!:smile:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    It's not a matter of Atkins vs MFP. MFP is just a tool that you can use to track your food--whether you're following the Atkins plan, going vegetarian, just eating balanced, or however you choose to approach this.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Has anybody tried both atkins and myfitnesspal?

Yep. Atkins left me feeling like crap and metabolically challenged. Feeling *much* better now.

(I assume by MFP you actually mean IIFYM)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    portion control
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    portion control
    great. glad that works for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Has anybody tried both atkins and myfitnesspal?

Yep. Atkins left me feeling like crap and metabolically challenged. Feeling *much* better now.

(I assume by MFP you actually mean IIFYM)
    so MFP now equals iifym? interesting given that every time someone arrives on the boards after setting up mfp and bemoans the sugar and protein goals everyone says MFP has them set wrong...

Plus if you look at the iffym (not a diet) site and read the iffym (not a diet) recipes you'd damned well wonder why folks are mocking cauliflower lol.
  • MassiveBeard
    MassiveBeard Posts: 10 Member
    My personal thought (take it with a grain of salt), is that programs like Atkins, Jenny Craig, Isagenix, etc. don't really change behaviors. I know a lot of people lose weight on them, but I don't think many really learn how to eat healthy and to be aware of what real food costs from a calorie perspective.

In my opinion MFP is more like Weight Watchers but from a pure calorie and content perspective. The support community is hands down better than WW in my opinion because my MFP friend are there to offer a comment, cheer, etc. whenever. As am I for them.

My *ONLY* complaint about MFP is that they don't have a paid app I can buy that removes the ADS. I would gladly pay 5,6 hell 10 dollars to make those ads go away. On my nexus with adblock that's not a problem. On my work phone they are just annoying.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Um, Atkins AND MFP?
    I've been trying to go back on Atkins and use MFP to track my food intake. Also a great way to watch my calories and sodium intake.
    I guess I don't see why it's one or the other. Mfp is a tool.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Um, Atkins AND MFP?
    I've been trying to go back on Atkins and use MFP to track my food intake. Also a great way to watch my calories and sodium intake.
    I guess I don't see why it's one or the other. Mfp is a tool.
    EXACTLY. And each of us should use it in a way that supports us best.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    so MFP now equals iifym?

That's how I use it - I can't speak for others.

And cauliflower still sucks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    so MFP now equals iifym?

That's how I use it - I can't speak for others.

And cauliflower still sucks.
    cauliflower rocks!

And definitely not how I used it when I was counting (briefly).
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Atkins follower tracking on MFP. Cauliflower covered in melted muenster cheese & a sprinkle of panko, yum yum yum.