LEAN WOMEN W/ ABS! HOW DID YOU DO IT?

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Define heavy lifting because I lift weights too. :) So you achieved washboard abs through weight lifting only? :)

Someone answered this, but yes -- compound lifting in the 4-6 rep range, specifically 5/3/1 program by Jim Wendler, though that doesn't really matter. I have a blog here (link is on my profile) that gets into more specifics.

And no, not weight lifting only. I also ate at a calorie deficit.

It took me a little over a year.

:heart:

x2
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Define heavy lifting because I lift weights too. :) So you achieved washboard abs through weight lifting only? :)

Someone answered this, but yes -- compound lifting in the 4-6 rep range, specifically 5/3/1 program by Jim Wendler, though that doesn't really matter. I have a blog here (link is on my profile) that gets into more specifics.

And no, not weight lifting only. I also ate at a calorie deficit.

It took me a little over a year.

It's funny when women want abs but DON'T want to lift weights at all.

For most people it's the fastest way in conjunction with eating at a deficit to get visible abs.

Koing
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Women get abs the same way men do... by lowering body fat and being patient. The patient part is usually the hardest, especially when talking about visible abs.

Make sure you have the basics covered: modest calorie deficit, resistance training (ideally heavy, compound lifting), proper macros, and sufficient sleep. Anything you do beyond that is purely personal preference.
  • djwatt
    djwatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    531 you have given me hope to get the body I want :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Genetics play a big role as well. I carry very little fat in my upper body so that combined with eating right, Compounds, + Isolation work has given me decent abs.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Genetics play a big role as well. I carry very little fat in my upper body so that combined with eating right, Compounds, + Isolation work has given me decent abs.

That's an excellent point as well. I carry almost all my weight in my belly, so even at 12% bf, visible abs are a long way off for me.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

This is also true. I started seeing decent ab definition at 20% body fat because I tend to carry most of my weight in my lower body. If you naturally carry weight in your stomach, the same rules still apply, it will just take a little longer.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others say on here.

Most important thing is how much you eat....so get your diet right.
    Second thing is get in the gym....

I currently do ab work 1 or 2 times a week......back when I was younger and just starting out, I would do abs 4 - 5 times a week....and thousands of crunches per workout......
    That is not needed.

And remember, it does take time.....

It is a muscle group, so work it as you would any other muscle group.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The only time I had great visible abs was when I was a pretty serious cyclist. I've always had the abs and a strong core but cycling was the only thing that made me lean enough for it to show. Unfortunately, I have a little more insulation over them right now.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    531 you have given me hope to get the body I want :)

Bump! :bigsmile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal method:

No clean eating

No cardio (none in the past six months, anyway)

No crunches or isolated ab work

Yes moderate calorie deficit (TDEE-15%)

Yes patience

Yes body fat reduction

Yes heavy lifting

That's all.

This.... 531 rocks :)
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Is lifting the best way to get abs then? :/ I can't afford the gym, I've been doing ab work at home, crunches etc...

Crunches are a great way to eff up your lower back.

A calorie deficit and heavy lifting are what you need. 531 is spot on.

I've been right down lean eating everything people on this site say will kill you: bread, pasta, ice cream, etc.

Get enough protein, sustain a moderate deficit, lift heavy *kitten*, be patient. It'll come.
    This is what I do. Lift 3-4x/week, eat at a deficit, make sure I hit my protein. And it all depends on your body and how much fat you have how long it will take for your abs to show. I also do HIIT cardio 1-2x/week.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy + calories deficit + patience and hope the genetic fairy godmother was good to you.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    hope the fairy godmother was good to you.

Man, how true is that......
    Because when she ain't, you have to bust @$$ that much harder......
  • LornaRodda
    LornaRodda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You just need to reduce your body fat - I have washboard abs - my body fat percentage is low though, about 17% at the moment.

You may need to exercise to lower your body fat to get abs, but you do not need to exercise to have abs.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    avoid salt or bloat enducing foods
    avoid processed foods
    do HIIT
    lift heavy weights
    do compound movements
    drink LOTS of water

I only train abs for 5-10 minutes 1-2 times a week.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. Lift 3-4x/week, eat at a deficit, make sure I hit my protein. And it all depends on your body and how much fat you have how long it will take for your abs to show. I also do HIIT cardio 1-2x/week.

Well, it's clearly worked for you! Great job.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I've been going at this for about three years. I started out training for a half marathon Jan 2011 - so lots of cardio. I didn't watch what I ate, so I don't know what me calories were like, but I am pretty certain I had a mild deficit. (Guesstimation there... I didn't eat a lot more, but I had a bad doritos and sour cream habit) From Jan 2011 to Feb 2012, I saw a few dress sizes lost, and the start of a six pack - but that was over the span of a year.

In Feb 2012, I added boxing into the mix. High intensity training once a week. A lot of body weight exercises and the best workout I've done. The running dropped back a fair bit. Saw the muscles pop more, the abs emerged even further, but still not where I wanted them.

In July 2012 I started actively tracking my food on here. In the span of about 6 months eating at a mild deficit (around 1900 cals, + exercise), my full six pack came in. The only real exercise was my 1x week boxing habit, and an active lifestyle.

I am now starting to add weight into my program, and I'm maintaining.

So....
    Can you get abs on a cardio only program? yes... by eating at a deficit
    Can you get abs on a lifting program? yes... by eating at a deficit
    Can you get abs on no program? yes... by eating at a deficit

what do I recommend?
    - eat at a MILD deficit
    - do a bit of cardio (yay happy heart)
    - do a bit of strength (yay strong body)
    - and have a LOT of patience!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    what do I recommend?
    - eat at a MILD deficit

quit being all sensible and crap, sheesh. There's no place for that nonsense here.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    what do I recommend?
    - eat at a MILD deficit

quit being all sensible and crap, sheesh. There's no place for that nonsense here.

800620.gif