At goal weight. Ways to improve w/o access to gym/weights?

Options
Hi there,

I'm yet another one that reached her goal weight (21 BMI), at about 23% BF according to the impedance scale, and is a bit lost on what to do next.

I'm not happy with my body, I still feel pretty fat despite being in the best shape I've ever been in, and at the lowest weight since I was 13 years old. I'm finally realizing that being at perfect mid-range BMI does not mean I look thin, far from it. I'm considering losing a bit more, to hit a 20 BMI, but at the same time I don't think few pounds will make a huge difference, as my shape will likely stay the same.

I'm about to finish Insanity, which I think helped a lot, but I realized that shaping those fuller thighs and rounding that behind will take a whole lot more than that. I don't have any access to a gym nor can I afford home equipment.

So my questions are:
1. Is there a point trying to lose more weight and go to the lower end of BMI? Did that "make a difference" to anyone?
2. What else could I do to keep on improving my body without heavy weights?

I feel rather lost and demotivated...

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options

shaping those fuller thighs and rounding that behind will take a whole lot more than that. I don't have any access to a gym nor can I afford home equipment.

Not even a barbell and a few weight plates? I can pick up around 30-40kg of weight plates of varying sizes and a barbell for less than $100. That's all you really need and you can do squats, lunges, deadlifts, bicep curls, shoulder presses etc etc. If you need info on technique and ideas you can youtube it, and do them in front of a mirror to check your form. Even engage a PT on a semi-regular basis to help you out.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting to goal! WOO HOO!!!

Sounds like you just want to tone up, am I right? You don't need to lose more weight, just tone up and lean out so you can show off your results and feel more confident! Strength training/body weight training is the perfect way to go!

Did you like Insanity? Why not try Insanity: The Asylum? It's a graduated program and gives you the equipment you need to finish. Or do Insanity again, the more you do it, the better your butt will get! :)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I suspect you have more body fat than you think, especially since you aren't doing any resistance training. You can use cans as weights, you can use your own body weight to do resistance.. Resistance bands are less than $10. Not having access to a gym is no excuse.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap bench, barbell, & 100 lbs of plates off of Craigslist for $30. Might be something for you to keep an eye on. I searched fitness/sports equipment, and garage sales. I found it at a garage sale listed on there, they had a list of all of the items they were selling.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I can't afford the gym at the moment. I have noticed improvement in my shape from body weight exercises. I have also made home made weights. I have filled a couple of extra large water bottles, and I have a large bag filled with text books. I might invest in some weights eventually, but at the moment my free home work outs are the answer for me.
  • asummersbreeze
    asummersbreeze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://www.nowloss.com/#/home THis website is awesome .. I get alot of ideas from here... You dont need weights to do these workouts and if you email Adrian he will answer and its free you really should check it out...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Consider buying some resistance bands. You can get about 3 or 4 of them with various resistances. That can work for weights until you can upgrade. But you really want to get some more resistance training in. A program like Chalean Extreme would be good.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have excellent results doing a combination of walking, running, circuit training (like boot camp or JM 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 with 8-9lb dumbbells), swimming (in the summer), yoga, pilates, and aerobics videos. I don't always get to go to the gym, but I always get my workout on! Most of my workouts are at home with videos, but running can be done almost anywhere outside. I also have a rebounder (mini-trampoline) that I got from Walmart. That is great exercise!

Just keep in mind, most videos use 3-5lb hand weights, but increasing to 8-9lbs made a big difference in the results.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Pick up Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym.