Late night snacks...uggghhhh

Options
I just have a question. What do you all eat if you are feeling hungary and it is 11:30 pm. I just started my diet this week. Today I know I ate less than my usual. I feel so hungary, but I know I shouldn't eat and then go to bed on it. What do you all do if you feel hungary before bedtime?

Tina

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Water first. Then tea. Then, if still hungry, 1/4 C of blueberries or nuts, depending on my fat calories.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You are not hungry! Most likely seeking comfort. A STRONG flavored decaf tea WILL do the trick. I have a Good Earth Decaf Original Sweet & Spicy. It's like liquid gingersnaps. Occassionally I will have a Diet Swiss Miss (made with water). Hang in there!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    yes! sometimes you're not hungry, but just thirsty, and your body doesn't know the difference. fruits are always a good choice if you really have to eat something! just remember, if you eat something right before going to bed, you won't have time to burn off those extra calories.
  • bravestwarrior
    Options
    Wow..I never thought about that fact that I could be thirsty nor had i ever thought about it like that. I thought only ur mouth told you that you were thirsty...dumb huh? I will give that a try. I usually just "go to bed" and try to forget about it, but it doesn't always work. Thanks for that insight.
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    I did and still do the 100 calorie smart popcorn and 32 oz of a none calorie beverage! Might be physical and might be mental but if I feel hungry I feed myself. Life is too short to starve to death and personally I cannot sleep at all when my mind is on food. Hang in there it will get better! Exercise will also allow you extra calories if needed. Just a little goes a long way.
  • spunkdiz
    Options
    I work with a nutritionist and she has this little saying. If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, then you're probably not really hungry. I keep apples in constant supply here. :) Low calorie, great food for you and even good for the teeth. :)
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1 oz. of nuts and a glass of milk. Almond milk is really good.
  • Jrsturm777
    Options
    Agree with nearly everyone else here.... Personally I'm loaded up on the 90 calorie cereal bars, snack bags, and popcorn. And typically I'm trying to leave some Calories "on the table" that I can use late at night if needed (by using the MyFitnesspal iPhone app its great to be able to know what I left to spend).

If I really don't want to spend those 90-100 calories then here's what I do:

1. Just about any kind of zero calorie DRINK!! (as others have said)
    2. Apple, Celery, or Carrots.
    3. Chew some gum.
    4. Start looking up all those foods I would tyipcally eat and realize how many calories are in them.. suddenly its just not worth it. Go to bed.

hope that helps,
    JR
  • bravestwarrior
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful pointers. I will keep them all in mind. I have to have some kind of snack before bedtime b/c I take meds before be. I also have to take insulin so I don't want my sugar to drop while asleep. Tonight I did a banana with a tsp of peanut butter. These were alot of great things. I will try them.

Tina