My body is wondering wtf is going on..lol

Options
New to LCHF diet.. I was a major carb eater for my whole life... I am sooooo not liking this diet and want my donut and coffee with sugar,,, and my chinese... bla bla.. when will these cravings go away? I've been on LCHF for almost a month now... & is it really possible to have a cheat meal and not gain weight?

Replies

• Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    a lot of people on this forum, don't believe that LCHF diets are the way to go long term, so you will probably get a lot of replies that may sound like they are out to get you.
    Generally people here tend to just eat less calories and exercise more.

There are some who do eat LC though and maybe they will be able to help, just thought I would give you a heads up, in case you are bombarded. People who post can be quite passionate.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it and are struggling sorry to say in all likelihood you will fail. Find a meal plan you can stick to
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Is there some medical reason for going on this diet?

Otherwise if you are hating it and feeling deprived it doesn't sound like it's going to be sustainable for the rest of your life.
    For me what worked was eating exactly the same foods when "dieting" (i.e. losing weight) as I'm eating now I'm maintaining - all that changed was the number of calories over the course of a week.

There are so many different protocols around to achieve a calorie deficit that I would suggest that if you still feel the same after giving it a go for a period of time then consider trying something different.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    If you don't like it and are struggling sorry to say in all likelihood you will fail. Find a meal plan you can stick to

This
  • hughina229
    Options
    Hi,

I've done Atkins before and really had good weight loss, but found it so hard to stick with - mainly breakfasts were a problem as really just wanted a piece of toast and coffee etc. The thing that makes you stick with it is if you do have a splurge and eat a meal you shouldn't you will probably see an immediate weight gain, and if you're like me find it very hard to get back on the straight and narrow. Unfortunately I always found as soon as I came of low carb I'd just go back to my old bad habits.
    This time I'm doing calorie counting, but trying to keep reasonably low carb as well, and the tools on this site seem great for checking what you're using.
    Good luck with the diet
  • Sugarbarez
    Options
    my doctor put me on this diet because I'm chubby, my good cholesterol is low, bad cholesterol is high, trygl are high and insulin high and told I'm now insulin resistant. :/ This is much harder than I thought... not to mention, I'm going on a 7 day all inclusive in Jan... what the *** am I gonna do then? :sad:
  • dramagirl1
    Options
    my doctor put me on this diet because I'm chubby, my good cholesterol is low, bad cholesterol is high, trygl are high and insulin high and told I'm now insulin resistant. :/ This is much harder than I thought... not to mention, I'm going on a 7 day all inclusive in Jan... what the *** am I gonna do then? :sad:

If you're insulin resistant try eating foods on the low glycemic index. You won't have to cut carbs out completely but will be able to enjoy good whole grains and they will help you lose weight.
  • MarsFromNY
    Options
    I noticed that every food you mentioned would raise you blood sugar and spike your insulin. So basically right now, you are feeling the withdrawal similar to someone coming off of drugs.
    Once you get past the first 5 days or so, it will not be as bad. You will need to eat frequently throughout the day to help stabilize your blood sugar and that will help.
    Low carb is easy, low or no sugar is very hard…..at first. I remember a while back, I was shopping and had to pull all my strength to not buy cookies. I walked back and forth to that isle about 5 times, like a nut, before I finally trashed talked myself and left. On my way home, I felt mentally drained. It’s crazy how the body works.
    Do a bit a research on how different foods react on your body and that will help you with making the right choices.
    You can ABSOLUTLY do it!
  • Diamond_lucy
    Diamond_lucy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Low carb is easy, low or no sugar is very hard…..at first. I remember a while back, I was shopping and had to pull all my strength to not buy cookies. I walked back and forth to that isle about 5 times, like a nut, before I finally trashed talked myself and left. On my way home, I felt mentally drained. It’s crazy how the body works.

Hey, that's very impressive self control and spoken like a champion :bigsmile:
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you hate it try calorie counting but incorporate real oatmeal (not instant) and a lot of veggies into your diet to help your cholesterol. That worked for my husband. Calorie counting allows for a cheat meal here or there too. But find something you can stick with if this diet is making you miserable you will not stick to it and be miserable. Also people with the high glycemic food suggestion is a good one my FIL is diabetic and his doctor has him on a low glycemic diet. What ever you decide good luck to you.