Low then high calorie days?

Options
Just wondered on peoples opinions of spending the week days at say, 900/1000 cals, and having high cal weekends.

Would this have any negative effects on a persons body? I find it much easier to eat well when my other half is at work, and on the weekends it's a bit harder as we have higher calorie meals and such.

I'd of course eat more calories if I was hungry and such. I'd be drinking the same drinks and amounts through the week and weekend too. What are other peoples opinions and how have people found this for them. (I'm sure it's quite common?)

Thanks!

Replies

• RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much what I do. It hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have weekly calorie goals rather than daily. I don't count calories personally, but I do eat a little less on weekdays and a little more on weekends, and I'm losing weight just fine.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it - to a certain extent.

I think 900 calories 5 days a week is a little too low though, as essentially you aren't fueling your body enough for the majority of the time.

Trouble is I don't know what your daily calorie allowance is, but if you are going to do it I would cut no more than 100 - 200 cals a day.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I ate at BMR (plus exercise, if I did any) during the week, and TDEE on the weekend. It worked really well for me.
  • JamiesMummyX
    JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

My daily allowance to lose 1lb per week is 1660, so if I cut it down to 1000 then it's around 3000 extra calories on the weekend, so 1500 per day plus the 1660 to still lose 1lb, so 3k a day - easily done if I'm honest!! But perhaps not every week.

But, I must say, I didn't join to lose weight, just to track, but now I'm interested in losing a few lbs (I'm about 3 stone higher than I'd like to be) so it's not that I'll always be sticking around 1000, sometimes might be alot higher and such. I'm in no rush. Just trying to find something that will work for me.

First and foremost I just want to eat well and be healthy regardless of what the scales say, I appreciate the help!
  • JamiesMummyX
    JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Would be interested in other peoples experiences too.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a days worth of calories is arbitrary (some bodily processes recur every second--some every couple of days). Thus, as long as your average over a few days (or a week) is right, there should not be any problems. You may experience some local exhaustion (if you need fuel for workouts on specific days), but I have found that bodies tend to adapt and not break.

For instance, I use to train after work (heavy lifting), but then I switched to morning fasted training, and while the first few days were especially grueling, I now like lifting in the morning more than the evening.