Coming of a low/no carb diet

has anyone got any advice about coming off a no carb diet? i did the dukan diet and lost 11kg, did all the phases and now have gone back to eating carbs regularly but have joined MFP to a.) not gain weight b.) lose the last few kg slowly.

despite that i have already put 3kg back on and am terrified that by xmas i'll have put everything back on despite doing the whole kcal deficit thing.

anyone have any experience with this?
thanx

Replies

• and am terrified that by xmas i'll have put everything back on despite doing the whole kcal deficit thing.

You can't gain weight if you're in a caloric deficit.
    If you gain weight, you eat too much. Carbs wont hinder you from losing weight.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    and am terrified that by xmas i'll have put everything back on despite doing the whole kcal deficit thing.

You can't gain weight if you're in a caloric deficit.
    If you gain weight, you eat too much. Carbs wont hinder you from losing weight.

What she said. Just start logging your calories and you'll do fine!
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    3 kg is water.
    Low carb diets deplete your glycogen stores in your muscles and liver. Studies show for 1g of g;glycogen you store an addtional 3 grams of water. Once your back on the carbs your muscles carb load and additional water is used to store the glycogen.

For me this can be over 7lbs from normal balanced carb intake to carb loaded levels for cycling events. I guess for someone who has been on a long low carb diet this may be more.

I bet you feel MUCH more energetic :D
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    despite that i have already put 3kg back on and am terrified that by xmas i'll have put everything back on despite doing the whole kcal deficit thing.
    So what are you eating and how much ? Your diary is closed.

Some regain of water from taking up carbs is to be expected.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    This is the problem with using low carb as a "diet". Part of the weight loss (especially at the beginning) is water weight and goes right back on when you start eating carbs again. This is normal and is NOT fat gain. You shouldn't put all of your lost weight back on unless you start eating more calories than you need.

What are you considering "eating carbs normally"? How many carbs per day, where are they coming from? What percentage do they make up of your diet? What kind of calorie deficit are you currently eating at?
  • SkinnyRikki68
    SkinnyRikki68 Posts: 2 Member
    thats a big relief, ta.

Am aiming for 1300 - 1500 kcals a day although i'm not beating myself up about going over as long as I stay under 2000 as I'm not too fussed about losing the rest of the weight too quick (just enjoying not being on the diet anymore at the moment)

most of my carbs come from wholewheat bread in the mornings for breakfast and having carb foods like pasta, rice or potatoes about 4 times a week.

i didn't know my diary is closed will look into opening that sucker up! :)