How can I track my speed?

Options
I use MapMyRun to monitor my distance. speed etc. But I can only check that after the run is done.

I want to try to improve my ParkRun times. I was one second off a best time last week, and if I'd known that during the run I could have found an extra second or 2.

The run consists of one small lap and 3 big laps of the local park. I'm wondering if there's a way I can time each of the big laps so that I know if I'm going fast enough. I've considered making a special playlist that lasts exactly the target time for each lap, but that may not be possible!

Without buying additional gadgets, what ways can I monitor my speed during a run?

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I don't know about MapMyRun but Runkeeper has the facility to set a target pace and have the app call out at the intervals you set.

example: you set it for 10min/mile and every 5 minutes. After every 5 minutes the app will call out "your target pace is 10min/mile. Your current pace is 9:55min/mile. You are ahead of your target pace by 0:05min/mile"

I don't know if that is any help
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I don't know about MapMyRun but Runkeeper has the facility to set a target pace and have the app call out at the intervals you set.

example: you set it for 10min/mile and every 5 minutes. After every 5 minutes the app will call out "your target pace is 10min/mile. Your current pace is 9:55min/mile. You are ahead of your target pace by 0:05min/mile"

This and runkeeper links with MFP if you wish!
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I 3rd run keeper! I also find it more accurate than map my run!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

This and runkeeper links with MFP if you wish!

I like Runkeeper as well. That being said many of the free GPS apps have this feature. Try a few different apps out and see which one you like the best!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Sounds like all you need is a watch that keeps lap time. Just about any sports watch will do that--you can find them for less than $25.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sussed it.

MapMyRun - settings - voice feedback - ON.

I currently have it to tell me every 0.25km my time, distance, av speed, av pace and current pace. I can't wait to try this out at tonights training run and Saturday's ParkRun! I reckon I'll need to average 5.36 per km or under to get a PB.