Running Advice

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing is worse, IME, than being emotionally tied to water during your workouts.

Can I ask why you feel that way? Honestly curious.

I'm getting ready to run a half and I wear a belt. I use it to hold my phone (for tracking, music and emergencies), a couple of gels, and yes....water to drink. I don't drink much, but it does make me feel better and I guess I'm not sure what's wrong with that? Whether I actually *need* it or not, I'm not sure why 6 oz of water or Gatorade is such a bad thing?

To some extent, it's personal preference. But it's also more things to "complicate" a workout, or to go wrong during a race. If you're fine carrying all that stuff, then have at it. Personally, one of the things I like best is not having to carry anything. I don't carry anything when I run (no keys, no phone, I don't even take an ipod/headphones). I take a small tool kit with me on my road rides, but that's usually it. I don't take any tools or a hydration pack on mountain bike rides. Heck, one of the things I like best about my singlespeed is it's simplicity - no gears to shift, no travel to adjust, no chain slap, etc.

When you get rid of all the extraneous stuff, it's just about you and the run or the ride. It's awesome.

I can understand that. But, on the flip side, I am someone who enjoys zoning out to music. My runs are still very much about me & the road.....but the music helps me get out of my head. I also have to have my phone - I have a small child and need to be immediately accessible.

And a little water here and there puts the spring back in my step (whether it's all in my head or not). My belt is comfortable and the weight doesn't bother me. So, I guess that - for me - it's personal preference to have those things.

I'm not advocating that everyone carry their house with them when they run or ride. But, if a couple of items help you improve your performance and that improvement increases your confidence and that confidence helps you get back out there again and getting back out there again helps you improve.......well, you see where I'm getting at with this. A phone and a lightweight belt make me feel better, which makes me more likely to stick with my fitness plans. Personal preference.

Absolutely agree. My only point was that most people don't need as much as they think they need. I think many new runners can get bogged down in what they need or how they should run that they can lose sight of the bigger picture - just get out there and run.

And while this isn't as much the case with running as it can be with other activities, it's usually cheaper to buy things as you need them than it is to guess at what you'll need, buy it, then figure out how to use it, what it does for you, and whether or not you need/want it down the road.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I will run up to an hour and a half before I would drink water. I have been on 8 mile runs and not had a drop. I drink when Im done.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so basically everyone is different, and no two training runs are the same, so learn what you like and don't like.
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When preparing for longer runs, it is best to hydrate the day before, because your body will process it and keep you hydrated the day of. I usually don't bring any water with me, but on 5Ks, they have water stops along the way.
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    so basically everyone is different, and no two training runs are the same, so learn what you like and don't like.

^That. Amass a bunch of advice, try stuff to see if it works, and you will learn and then pass that along to other runners so they can do the same.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    When preparing for longer runs, it is best to hydrate the day before, because your body will process it and keep you hydrated the day of. I usually don't bring any water with me, but on 5Ks, they have water stops along the way.

Yes and no. "hydrating" can also flush your body of needed minerals (sodium) which can cause problems for some people during some workouts.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The only time I take anything with me is when I'm doing a longer obstacle race like a Spartan or Tough Mudder. When I'm just running (a half is my longest), I find having "extra" things with me to be a distraction.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run all my training runs (up to 22 miles) with neither food nor water. You just don't need it.
    No, YOU just don't need it. It's absurd to assume everyone's hydration and nutrition needs are the same. The OP will learn what works for him through trial and error--presumably the same way you did.

I'm not in a position to expand on this right now, but there is science behind my statement, not just my experience. Noakes and McMillan (off the top of my head) agree. My experience confirms it.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Since I started running in the summer, I made it a habit to always take a 16-20 oz bottle of water with me. Normally, I'd only have a little, but it was mostly for the moment that I was done. The moment I'm done, I want to chug liquids like a frat boy. Carrying a bottle with me isn't going to weigh me down that much. I would get overheated quickly, also, so I like knowing that if I get too hot, the water can cool me down a little too. Now that its colder out, I don't really need it, and only take a bottle with me on my Sunday long runs which are over an hour.

that's just my own personal experience.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I don't take water with me when I run.

I just did the Tough Mudder and my strategy was to come into the race super hydrated. I drank about a gallon of water every day for a week leading up to the event. For me, this worked. I never felt like I needed water and my stamina was markedly better than those who didn't pay attention to water intake in advance.

I did need a gel by the 10th mile market though...
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I run all my training runs (up to 22 miles) with neither food nor water. You just don't need it.
    No, YOU just don't need it. It's absurd to assume everyone's hydration and nutrition needs are the same. The OP will learn what works for him through trial and error--presumably the same way you did.

I have to take water on every run as a dry throat sets my asthma off. I tend to carry a water bottle but if it long distance like Tough Mudder I carry a water bladder.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

^^This^^

The only thing I carry on my run is a few jolly rancher hard candies. I have found having one of those keeps my mouth from getting dry (I'm a mouth breather LOL) and trying to carry water just weighs me down.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I have to take water on every run as a dry throat sets my asthma off. I tend to carry a water bottle but if it long distance like Tough Mudder I carry a water bladder.

Have you tried a hard candy or something to chew or suck on that keeps your saliva going? I found that works for me and keeps me from carrying the water. :-)
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Have you tried a hard candy or something to chew or suck on that keeps your saliva going? I found that works for me and keeps me from carrying the water. :-)

Same for me. Gum does wonders when it's really dry out, especially the first couple of miles while my body settles in.
  • davehahn98
    davehahn98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Well, Carson is correct. Also, we don't know what the OP's definition of "long run" is. I run fasted up to 18 miles - you just don't need anything except maybe a swig or two of water. Save your money!

I am going to have to agree here. While everyone is a "special snow flake", we're more alike than people think. I think that by and large, a human is a human :)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    There are several options for carrying food and drink, and people's preferences are going to vary widely--only you can figure out which of these will work best for you:

1. Fuel belt. Come with differing number of bottles, and often a zip pouch you can stick gels, chews, keys, or whatever in. I tried this, didn't like having something around my waist.

2. Hand-held bottle. Have a band that slips over your hand so it's easier to carry, the carrier also often has a pocket or two. I don't care for these, either--makes me feel uneven to have weight in one hand but not the other, but many people love them.

3. Bike jersey, vest, or jacket. Cycling gear virtually always has nice deep pockets in the back (some zip, most don't). They'll hold food, phone, keys, and small bottles (I use one of the flat bottles made for the fuel belts--fits snug against the small of my back and isn't noticeable). My favorite.

4. Hydration pack. Best for long runs (I use mine for runs of over 2-3 hours, depending on temps). Holds a bladder for fluid and often has pockets for food.

5. Don't carry anything (except maybe a few bucks) and run where you know there are water fountains or a convenience store. Or set up laps that go past your house or car, and stop for a drink/food there. Some people stash water bottles on their route ahead of time, and pick them up during their run.

You may need to test out a few options before you figure out what's best for you. Best of luck with your running!

^^^QFT Very Helpful! Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Just to take a step back...

There is a big difference between what people need to run well and what people like/prefer to have with them. Some people in this thread are talking about what they prefer, what's more comfortable, and what's reassuring to have with them. And that's fine. Other people are talking about what your body physically needs to perform reasonable well. That's also fine.

Both points have merit, it just depends on what you're trying to learn/take away from this thread.
  • stephen4232
    stephen4232 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I was looking for advice.....but feeling a bit confused now.......HELP
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I was looking for advice.....but feeling a bit confused now.......HELP

Advice on what? What your body needs or what people prefer? They are different. Your body needs very little. What people prefer varies widely.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    We all have our different preferences. And guess what? We had to try different things and see what worked best. There's plenty of suggestions on here, but you will have to try some to see how they work for YOU.