Desk Job Exercise Group

Options
I read this terrifying article about how those who work at desk jobs, or have sedentary jobs, usually live shorter lives, EVEN IF YOU ARE VERY ACTIVE OUTSIDE OF WORK.

Article here - http://www.runnersworld.com/health/sitting-is-the-new-smoking-even-for-runners

So, I've been trying to do something every 30 minutes. Today at 9 am I did 100 jumping jacks, at 9:30 I did 25 pushups, etc.

Would anyone be interested in starting a group to keep accountability? Or not even a group, but post in this thread or something?

One plus - it's made the morning go by pretty quickly at work.

Replies

• MegsHutch90
    MegsHutch90 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would love to join! However, I'm in lecture-style training this week, so I couldn't really participate too much until next week :) such a good idea!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm in. In the spring summer fall I walk 3miles during lunch. Now that it's cold I walk the stairs 3 times a day (10. 12 and 2) for ten minutes each (6 trips from the 3rd floor to the basement and back).
  • speedgoose
    Options
    awesome to both of you!

megs - jump in next week!

dhoffman - I get an hour for lunch and I usually do an insanity workout because we have an open room in our office, but other than that, it's limited. I wish we had stairs! Sounds like you're doing awesome.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I'm in...I try to do 25 flights of stairs at work during the day...I only go twice, tho. So I could roll out the Swiss ball and do crunches and whatnot...

ETA - About to do the first set now, LOL...will check back for info. :happy:
  • laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    where are you doing these activities....and I can't see doing jumping jacks in a skirt. I try to get up every half hour or 45 minutes, and I walk after lunch. In the winter I guess I can walk indoors, but there is still no place to have a mini workout session.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im in. I work 8 hour days with no breaks or a lunch. I try to make sure to get up and move every 30 minutes or so. Even just to the bathroom to get the circulation going again
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in. We only have a four floor building but I do try to get up and down the flights of stairs a few times per day. I run on lunch depending on the weather. No showers means it can be tough to clean up if you get too sweaty if it's too hot and when it's too cold (like today) and I'm not ready to brave the coldness I may go walk the mall.

I could probably sneak outside and do jumping jacks, etc every hour or so! or the stairs. Whatever :)
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you!! I work at home, and end up doing way too much sitting. If you set up a group or just want to do this as 'friends', please count me in! If you friend me, tell me it's about this exercise group though, please.
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just wish I had my own office so I could do these things. Plus I work for a machine shop = oily floors. (even in the office where I work) Yuck!!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a swiss ball at the office I used to work out with regularly but has been collecting dust for months. I am at my desk all day, very few breaks and work through lunch most days. This is good motivation to get it rolling (and bouncing) again! Thanks for the post!
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would love to join! I'm at my desk from 7am to 3:30 pm, no breaks or lunch. I also try to get up and move around, but this group would help to make sure I'm doing it! Please include me. And, thank you so much!
  • law110
    law110 Posts: 43
    Options
    Great Idea! I'd like to join!
  • speedgoose
    Options
    Just did 30 push ups and side twists for my 1030!
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you made a group, I'd join it for ideas. I barely move during the day. I share an office with another person and I always want to do little exercises at my desk but I'm not sure my office mate would find it very professional. 2 hours commuting in the car + 9 hours behind the desk isn't very good for me. I get one 30 min break so not really long enough to eat lunch AND take a walk. I need help, too!

38504214.png
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 25 squats in the bathroom 2x a day! It helps!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh, and desk pushups are good, too!
  • speedgoose
    Options
    laddibugg -

Fortunately I have my own office and I can wear more casual clothes to work, so I can manage to do jumping jacks and things like that, but I can see how some people cannot. I'd say walk around on the 30 min mark, and there are somethings you can still do in skirts/work clothes like toe raises, side twists, etc....just things to get your blood flowing and HR up a bit!
  • speedgoose
    Options
    Ok I am going to make a group now and invite you all! =)
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    awesome to both of you!

megs - jump in next week!

dhoffman - I get an hour for lunch and I usually do an insanity workout because we have an open room in our office, but other than that, it's limited. I wish we had stairs! Sounds like you're doing awesome.
    @Goose, I completed insanity twice and couldn't even imagine doing that at lunch and sitting in my own sweat for 4 hours (we don't have a locker room in my office building). I used to do a 30 min callisthenic routine in the basement storage, but it looked a bit odd if someone saw me walking out moderately sweaty in a room that only 5 employees actually have access to.

I pretty much keep my @work activities pretty low impact. For me it is more about getting up, moving around and mentally distressing than it is for any real exercise benefit.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I converted my desk to a standing work space a few months ago. I try to keep good music on so I can shake it a little while I work. Standing has helped my back pain so much but now my feet hurt during the day. It's still better than sitting all day long. I probably should do a few exercises but I always feel like a goof.

ETA: I don't really want to work up much of a sweat at work. I tend to sweat like a little piggy.