monitors for calorie burn

Options
Ok, call me clueless but i want to invest in a monitor of some sort where i can find an estimation of my daily calorie burn through normal activity as well as during workouts. With so many gadgets around i am not sure which one i need. Does a heart rate monitor give a calorie burn? If it matters, i use a samsung galaxy s3. Thanks.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A good HRM with a chest strap will give you calories burned for steady state cardio exercise. It's not meant to be worn all day for your general life. For that you need something like a FitBit or BodyMedia that keeps track of your steps, etc and converts it to calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some HR monitors simply monitor HR, but many (if not most) will also estimate calorie burns. Activity monitors (like fitbits, bodymedia, etc) are also estimate calorie burns, but they work differently and have different strengths and weaknesses.

This topic is covered daily. Search topics like "HR monitor" and "fitbit vs HRM" for zillions of suggestions.
  • RitaCarriere
    RitaCarriere Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use a Mio Motiva. It's an amazing watch. It does SO much!
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia. It links to android so you can monitor your calorie deficit at anytime. You can log food in their app, but, It also integrated with MFP, so I log my food in MFP and my body media calculates everything else. It does have a small monthly fee, but is free for the first 3 months.