How often do should I change my running shoes

Options
On a typical week, i'll punch out 3 or 4, 5k runs. I've been replacing my running shoes about every 3-5 months but my wife thinks its excessive as the shoes I buy are usually around $100. Once I'm finished with those shoes, they become my everyday shoes to wear around.

I think shoes for running are one major component to avoid injury. I'm might be crazy though. Sometimes I'll try on 6 or 7 different pairs until I find the right one that fits.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'd say 300 on the low end and 500-600 on the high end. Some shoes wear out quickly, some don't.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    Buy new shoes approx every 500 miles. Good shoes are very important to avoid injury.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I change mine when I start getting bad shin splints. Different brands wear out faster than others, so that's the way that I tell when I need new ones. Once I can tell they're wearing out I'll run on them another month then change them.

Does that make sense? I feel like i'm not making any sense, lol.

ETA: I'm not good at keeping up with mileage when I run, so this is the best way for me to know when to change them out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to say. There are general rules of thumb out there (most seems to suggest every 500ish miles), but it totally depends on the runner.

I replace mine when I start to have foot, knee or hip pain.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Every 500 miles. Based on the typical week you describe, that's every 10 months if you only use your shoes for running.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks ghosts and tend to replace every 350-400 miles. I can tell when they are done because I come home from a run all achy.

Right now I have two pairs of ghost's that are the same color. The new ones are for running and the old ones are for walking. I accidently put on the old ones and ran my 8 miler last week. By 6 miles I was miserable (legs were sore and tired). By 7 miles my feet where cramping. Got home and figured out my error. Did a 6 mile run 2 days later in the newer shoes and felt awesome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks Ghost and they tend to be on the soft side so they wear out a little quicker...about 300 miles or so...for me, that's usually every 6-7 months or so. Ultimately though, I can generally feel when my shoes are really starting to break down...I start having shin splint issues among other things which indicate that my shoes are done.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I heard every 300 miles. I love my ASICS!
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    The Brooks Ghost look pretty nice. I'll have to find some to try on when I need shoes again. Hopefully, they'll have a wide version.

So far, the only shoes I can wear are either Asics or New Balance. Nike's and other are way too narrow for my 11" shoes size.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors involved: how heavy you are, how you run, and the shoes themselves. I replace my shoes at about 400 miles. Generally it it between 300-500 miles. As someone else said, when you start having achy joints (that is not an actual injury) it is probably time for new shoes.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on the shoe. Traditional stability shoes can last 500 miles.

More minimalist shoes, 300-400. I change mine every 2-3 months. Generally when your knees and feet start hurting, it is time.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whenever they get holes in them. But to reduce that issue, buy shoes from a company that doesn't do planned obsolescence.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Replace your shoes like you do car tires:
    After a couple hundred miles start looking for abnormal wear- especially on the heel and toes. If you set your shoe on the counter and there's a noticeable slope from one side to the other, it's probably time to plan for new ones.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The Brooks Ghost look pretty nice. I'll have to find some to try on when I need shoes again. Hopefully, they'll have a wide version.

So far, the only shoes I can wear are either Asics or New Balance. Nike's and other are way too narrow for my 11" shoes size.

Do you pronate? If so, you won't want the Ghost, it is a neutral shoe. I'm a supinator and need a more neutral shoe like the ghost, but if you pronate you're going to be hurting in the Ghost.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I replace mine when my knees start to hurt for no reason on my runs... this is roughly 200-300 miles I believe.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Another good idea is to have more than one pair of good running shoes, you can work a rotation that will extend the mileage you get out of shoes.

By letting them dry out completely and the foam or other cushioning fully regain its form between runs, should get a little more out of them. Right now I have two pairs of Saucony Triumph 10's. One has about 400 miles on it, the other around 100, I put about 5-10 a week on the old guys, 20 miles a week on the new guys.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't count my miles. I just replace them when my shins are achy after a run. I'm only on my second pair this year and I run all year long.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The running shoe store I go to says every 500miles at most.. That's what I go with. I can tell now if I have went to long, I get foot cramps and leg pains.. ????