Whoever said weight loss isn't a contest is a liar.

Options
13»

Replies

• midwest_fittie
    Options
    It's only a contest against yourself. You can never compare yourself to other people--because you AREN'T those other people. You never will be. The best you can ever do is be the best YOU that you can be. So is it a contest? Yes, but only with the person you were yesterday.

It's like what Einstein said:

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

QFT

Do what works for you...I just want to point out that not all former fat friends think this way. In fact, I can't identify with the OP's mentality one bit.

I love everyone's mentality about what works for them and what doesn't, I just would like to remind you that I'm still the "fat friend" and the "fat sister". But I'm not bitter about it, this post was just poking fun at myself. :)
  • midwest_fittie
    Options
    To be honest, I made it a contest. And the prize was happiness and good health. At the gym, I picked an opponent (unbeknownst to them), if they went faster, or harder I followed suit. One things for sure, I was never the first off the machine. In kickboxing class, I selected an opponent who I deemed the best, then I mentally challenged them. This has helped me stay focused and driven.

Now, I'm faster, more healthier, than most of the people in my immediate circle. That's huge, considering my sisters have never had a weight problem, and one is a former professional dancer and cheerleader.

Whatever it takes to keep you motivated and inspired, I'm all for it!

I love it! Keep up the great work!
  • HippieMamaOf2
    HippieMamaOf2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I had to stop looking at it as a contest with others. When you have a kidney disease like PKD, you know that you will always have a rounded stomach no matter how much weight you lose. As I have lost weight, my stomach actually looks bigger. Apparently my fat was disguising my huge kidneys. I have even had friends wish me good luck with my pregnancy. That one really stings due to the other issues I was dealing with in that area of the body, but that is another story.

I had to look at it as a contest with myself. The important thing was not being skinnier than my friends, but rather to be a healthier version of myself. I remind myself that I'm not trying to become bikini worthy. I'm trying to become transplant worthy.
  • midwest_fittie
    Options
    To be honest, I had to stop looking at it as a contest with others. When you have a kidney disease like PKD, you know that you will always have a rounded stomach no matter how much weight you lose. As I have lost weight, my stomach actually looks bigger. Apparently my fat was disguising my huge kidneys. I have even had friends wish me good luck with my pregnancy. That one really stings due to the other issues I was dealing with in that area of the body, but that is another story.

I had to look at it as a contest with myself. The important thing was not being skinnier than my friends, but rather to be a healthier version of myself. I remind myself that I'm not trying to become bikini worthy. I'm trying to become transplant worthy.

That's amazing, keep up the great work. I hope you get to your goal.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I compete with my past self.

but the best part is when my past self totally high fives my current self, cause she is so dang impressed with me and my progress.
  • WISteph608
    WISteph608 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - I do the same. I stay on the treadmill 15 extra minutes or increase my speed, etc. Whatever keeps you motivated!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My husband is like that when we run together. If someone passes us he has to speed up. I'm too busy looking out for rocks and tree roots to care - my competition is the elements. Can't wait for snow!
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had a walking buddy but she had plastic surgery so my goal now is to look as good as her before she recovers without having to spend 10k!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'm the tallest girl in my family (at 5'4", haha), and while I wasn't thin as a child, I certainly wasn't anywhere near overweight (started gaining at 16). My aunts would give my mom hand-me-downs for me to wear, but they never fit, size-wise OR length-wise. I always felt like like I was huge compared to them, but I look at pictures and know it was never true.

That being said, I do think a little healthy competition is a good thing. Have a pal to work out with, challenge each other to small goals, and cheer each other on when the goals are met.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've lost and maintained over 200 pounds and it was never a contest with anyone. I'm not a child.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I've lost and maintained over 200 pounds and it was never a contest with anyone. I'm not a child.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE how you showed up to insult everyone in this thread because different things motivate them than you. that's not childish at all!!!
  • midwest_fittie
    Options

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE how you showed up to insult everyone in this thread because different things motivate them than you. that's not childish at all!!!

Get it girl! He's just fishin!