SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Have you just recently started exercising? Sometimes your body will retain water when you first start working.
    Or is it just a plateau you may be encountering. I actually hit a couple while I was in weight loss/exercise mode and had to actually up my calories a couple hundred to break the plateau and jump start another loss. This happened to me 2x in the last year and worked both times. You can actually out exercise your eating. Instead of cutting back the exercise you may need to feed it to continue changing your metabolism. Sounds odd but does work.
  • KLSmith5672
    Options
    Have you just recently started exercising? Sometimes your body will retain water when you first start working.
    Or is it just a plateau you may be encountering. I actually hit a couple while I was in weight loss/exercise mode and had to actually up my calories a couple hundred to break the plateau and jump start another loss. This happened to me 2x in the last year and worked both times. You can actually out exercise your eating. Instead of cutting back the exercise you may need to feed it to continue changing your metabolism. Sounds odd but does work.

I had not considered the possibility of increasing my daily calorie intake. I have been taking in between 1200 and 1400 calories a day since before I started working out... And I have been working out for about 9 weeks now... BUT - over the course of that 9 weeks I have gone from 30 minutes 3 days a week and 60 minutes 2 days a week up to 60 minutes 3 days a week, 90 minutes 2 days a week, and 45 minutes in a fast walk once a week. I also have increased my weight training days from 2 days a week to doing weight training 4 days a week. So, I have increased my daily and weekly exercise, but am still taking in the same number of calories daily.

IF I were to increase my daily intake, how long and how high would I need to increase this?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

IF I were to increase my daily intake, how long and how high would I need to increase this?

How many pounds do you have to lose?

How many pounds did you put into MFP settings for "I want to lose X amount of pounds per week"?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Set up your MFP profile properly, eat that amount PLUS exercise calories. As explained above, MFP calculates your daily needs not including exercise.

OR - google TDEE calculator and take a reasonable % deficit off TDEE. 20% is a safe amount for most people, until you are within about 15 pounds of your goal weight, then drop to 15% then 10% and ease into maintenance from there.

A properly set MFP + exercise calories should be in the same neighborhood as a properly set TDEE - % calorie goal.