Does myfitnesspal really work?

Options
I just started yesterday, I heard this was a lot like weight watchers so I decided to join. I can't afford ww right now. I just wanted some encouraging words.

Replies

• bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It only works if you put in the effort and follow the plan. Calories in- calories out= deficit= weight loss. Healthy food and exercise. There is no secret to make it work. Just you. Good Luck!! There are tons of friendly and motivation people on here, you came to the right place. :)
  • Vicki8524
    Options
    Absolutely. It changed my life. Counting calories is eye opening.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It worked for me two years ago, and I still use it to track protein.

My advice is to confirm as many regular diet entries as you can. They are made by members and can be accurate. Look for entries that have lots of confirmations. Also, weigh your servings if you can. Your idea of a large apple may be different than others, but if you eat 250 grams of apple that leaves much less room for mistakes.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats on taking the first step of your journey and deciding to do something about getting healthier!
    MFP works just as well as you want it to.
    If you follow the recommendations set out for you to achieve your goals and are completely honest with yourself as you log your foods, you'll be amazed at the results.
    It will take discipline, work, and some sacrifice. I know, nobody wants to hear those words anymore, but it's the truth.
    Find some people on here that are similar to you - same age, same weight loss goals, similar interests, etc - and hit them up with a friend request and ask for some support and accountability.
    Good luck and here's to a healthier you! :drinker:

ETA: MFP is way better than WW. It doesn't cost anything and we have tons more fun!
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    YES! It works - if you play by the rules.
    Log everything that goes into your mouth
    Get a food scale and weigh food - most people are not great at estimating
    Exercise will help, although MFP says its not necessary to lose weight - but do it and you you have better results, get fitter and -
    Biggee here - be able to eat more!
    Be diligent ~ try to be consistent
    If you fall off one day - don't think - oh i can't do this - start back the next day
    LOG
    Its free! And look at the success stories - it has worked for So many people.
    Good luck - you can do it!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It works better than WW for me. I like getting 1320 calories vs 30 pts.
    1320 is a bigger number and my brain adapted quickly.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help, although MFP says its not necessary to lose weight - but do it and you you have better results, get fitter and -
    If you fall off one day - don't think - oh i can't do this - start back the next day
    LOG

THIS!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Using MFP has been more successful for me than WW was. But it's not magic - you have to put in the work! Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It can work, but like anything, it's up to you to make it work. It's not a miracle worker, it's not a short cut. You have to put in the time, do the work, and have the control/discipline.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Better than anything else. And it's free! There's only two things required for it to work...

Honesty and consistency

As a bonus the forums are always active and full of like minded friendly people. What's not to like.

Here's to your success

:)
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Everyone is hitting it right on the head. Plug in your info and stick to the calories it tells you. Add in your daily exercise, and it gives you more calories for the day based on how many calories you burned. Log everything you eat, even tastes of something, you would be suprise how fast it adds up. Buy a digital scale and weight everything. Don't rely on measuring cups alone, it isn't always accurate. If you stick with it, and use MFP everyday, you will see a change. Also, measure your body monthly besides using the scale. Good luck to you on your new journey!!
  • pattibarszcz
    Options
    YES!!!! I have logged in for over 200 days in a row and I love it! I log all of my food and exercise and it really keeps me aware of what I'm eating. I have lost almost 30 lbs since I started using MFP.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you put the effort into it and be honest about your food and activity, then YES it works!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    You get out of it what you put into it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    IT WORKS BUT YOU HAVE TO WORK IT> Just having the app isnt going to cut it. YOU HAVE TO BE THE ONE THAT CONTROLS WHAT GOES IN YOUR MOUTH 24 HOURS A DAY. THATS THE HARD PART. BUT SO WORTH IT. I HAVE SEEN AWESOME RESULTS IN THE 93 DAYS IVE BEEN ON HERE. BUT I WORKED MY *kitten* OFF FOR THESE RESULTS AS WELL. good luck!

ps. pete i love your 0.0 LOL
  • eminenima
    Options
    Nope. I've been doing this for six weeks and I've only lost 31 pounds. ;)
  • baiye1
    baiye1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works. But like WW, or any program, it's what you put into it! I did WW and had success but this I find convenient. I use my cell phone and scan bar codes. Puts the stuff right in for me. So much easier than trying to figure out points values. I lost interest in that PDQ, got bored, stopped doing it. I have been at this longer, had more success and I'm still good with it, and I have a way short attention span. Also, it's great you can link fitness apps to it; also puts the info right in for me.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    LOG

THIS!

+1 enthusiastically! :smile:
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Its not a magic pill but is a useful tool.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yeah it works! Only if you use it properly. Just like any other tool. If you use it wrong you might hit your thumb and cry. Seriously you do the work. It's a tool to help you.:bigsmile: