So basically I can have water

Options

Replies

• Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can eat whatever you want. Stay in your macros and your calorie goal for the day. You can eat whatever you want. Everything in moderation. If you like diet soda, dairy, bread, apples, and whatever than eat it. Sometimes people give bad advice. If you want to eat Paleo than go for it. If you want a Big Mac every other day or everyday than eat it. As long as it fits into your calorie goal than it does not matter.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    hitting it like Arnold at the gym

This made my day.

But seriously apples are really good for you, and cottage cheese is a stable in the muscle building world... I don't know where your friends are getting their info from but clearly they need to be re-educated. -.-

If you are at a deficit... and working out, there is nothing wrong with these foods. You can add me if you want. Lol, get you some supportive people on here that won't get and at you for eating apples and cottage cheese.... or having a treat, which is proven to be good for you in the weight loss scene.
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, stay within your plan, weigh everything, and be happy :)

^^ Great advice!
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Find your TDEE -20% and eat at that number. Google Scooby TDEE calculator and fill in the blanks. If you leave yourself at Sedatery then if you exercise eat back your calories. If you exercise then pick the best one that fits your life then eat at the number it gives you. I eat what I want as long as it fits in my daily calories allotted for the day and its working so far. Its not bad food its eating way too much of it that makes it "bad".
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Truth of the matter, you will go through many phases before you figure what works best for your lifestyle, your body and your mind. Then when you figure it out, your body will change drastically and then you will have to figure out the next phase. Just politely thank your friend and then move onto what you want to try next. I would discourage you from joining any programs that require lots of money but that is just my opinion.

Good luck! You will figure it out if you try:)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of 1% Cottage cheese = 16g protein. Boom!
    Fruit is tasty, has antioxidants, vitamins, fibre so it's healthy and helps you poop. Yeah!
    Chocolate is everything that is right in the world and keeps the crazies away. Woot!

Eat what you like, get enough protein and healthy fats, learn portion control and to really enjoy your food, instead if plowing through it. And when someone tells you about some diet to try, say: "Thank you, that sounds interesting." And put it out of your head.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Losing weight when you're not on a crash diet is hard. Believe me, I get it. I've been at this for months, and I get impatient all the time. Years and years ago I did some sort of weird crash diet and lost a lot of weight. The thing is, with crash diets several people gain them all back.

Unfortunately (and I know it's a pain in the butt), counting calories definitely can help you. And don't cut out carbs at all! Don't listen to people who tell you to cut out carbs! Buy brown rice or quinoa, or whole grains, and eat those with chicken and a veggie. It's better to have a balanced diet anyway, so that when you get to your goal weight and try to maintain, it's easier.

A lot of people try to maintain their weight after crash diets, and it doesn't work. They gain it back. Which is why you have to get your body used to the food you're going to want to eat when you maintain. So yeah, keep up with the carbs! It's why MFP tells you that carbs, fats, and protein are the big three. Because they're all important.

And if you want a cheeseburger, have a cheeseburger. It's okay to have a cheat day sometimes. And even if you go over your cals for the day, you can still lose weight. Using MFP the way it's designed may cause slow weight loss, but at least when you're at your goal, you'll be healthy. Don't just have water!
  • 0321MarineMom
    0321MarineMom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ya know I was REALLY frustrated the last couple of weeks. The scale would NOT budge at all. Oh sure it would fluctuate 3-5 lbs throughout the day, but not actually MOVE. I stepped on the scale this morning and BAM...5 lbs lighter than yesterday morning.

I did a double take. I stepped off then on again thinking SURELY it was a mistake. Same result...5 pounds less. SO...I brushed it off thinking...yeah okay that's not right. It'll be back up by noon. I have weighed myself every HOUR since...it has gone up, but only a few ounces.

My point? We put too much emphasis on losing weight instead of getting fit.

I have lost about 13 lbs in Oct. Not as much as I had hoped (I have a LOT to lose so it should be easier for me to drop more initially).

HOWEVER...I've gone from being unable to go 1/2 a mile on my stationary bike to now biking 2 miles. I "fit" better in my car....I know that one's kind of odd, but it's true, there is more room and it just feels better even though it's only 13 lbs. I can walk longer without getting winded...my knee still starts hurting, but that will come later.

As long as you are eating nutrient dense foods and limiting JUNK...and exercising...you are getting more FIT...you are improving your lifestyle....you are moving FORWARD. That's really more important than the numbers on the scale.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    your friend is - with all due respect - an idiot..

Just eat in a calorie deficit, try to hit your macros each day, and work out some and you will lose...

calories in vs calories out my friend....

Sugar and carbs do not make you fat, overeating makes you fat..

so you can eat pretty much what you want, and as long as you stay in a calorie deficit you will be good to go.

^this
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the same exact thing doesn't work for everyone. Try a plan (a healthy/balanced one - not anything crazy like eating 200 calories a day or something), for 1-2 months, and if it works, keep going with it. If not, try a different plan.

Generally speaking, I don't think there's anything wrong with apples or cottage cheese, particularly if they fit within your counts/macros. I'm not really sure if I believe that there's any "evil" foods (absent allergies or intolerance specific to individuals), although some foods are certainly harder to fit within your day.

Maybe tell your friend she can't comment on your diary until she opens hers up, or just ignore her. You don't need someone who doesn't feel supportive for ya, you know?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Just eat in a calorie deficit, try to hit your macros each day, and work out some and you will lose...

so you can eat pretty much what you want, and as long as you stay in a calorie deficit you will be good to go.

I agree.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Unless you are starting to competing- it's much harder to reach goals eating by pure numbers... but yes- this is absolutely on point.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 123 pounds by just eating what I want, but I make sure to measure the food on a scale that measures in ounces & grams. I still need to work on incorporating more fruits & veggies in my diet though.
  • Rob_Zamites
    Rob_Zamites Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want, just keep it at a deficit, and shoot for 80% healthy, meaning more fruits and veggies, and lean meats. :)))

This implies 20% is what exactly? Unhealthy? Why wouldn't you strive for 100%?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eat what is working for you. Why on earth would you let your "friend's" advice trump your own weightloss and the way you feel? Make sure you get some carbs, fat, and protein in your diet (without cutting any of it out), drink water, work out like Arnold!

I had wine nearly every day, pizza nearly every week, etc while losing all of my weight. I currently get around 40% of my calories from fat and my blood work is fantastic and I feel great! I also get tons of salt and cholesterol in my diet. Lovin the bacon.

The only macro advice backed up by pretty solid studies that I have seen is to get 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. That's it. I very much prefer more fat and fewer carbs than normally recommended, but I can't prove that that is better.

ETA: Veggies and fruit are great for vitamins, minerals and general nutrition. Get them in your diet if you can. Veggies are better than fruits because they are lower in sugar and don't spike your insulin as much. If you have fruit, pair it with a fat/protein to keep your energy level more consistent. If your energy level is fine after a bowl of grapes and you are losing weight, Great!
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    Some water has fluoride in it.. and chlorine.. and animals swim in it... so clearly you can't have that either...

LOL Damn I'm screwed then hahah
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    This is one of those moments in life where you remember that you're an adult and that whatever your friends say is less important than what works for you. If you've lost 7 pounds already, then you obviously know what works for you . . . so quit whining and keep doing that. I honestly don't see what the point was of this post . . . grow up.

Wow, maybe you have not turned on the news or opened a magazine lately. I am talking about all of the different people and "experts" that all have differences of opinion. Not just my friend. Good job creating such a negative useless response.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Is there really any thing wrong with apples and cottage cheese or an F*ing cheeseburger if I am hitting it like Arnold at the gym??

Apples, cottage cheese, and cheeseburgers are all awesome. Even if you weren't hitting it like Arnold at the gym.

I am currently working on 24 ounces of cottage cheese as part of my lunch. Lots of protein. Lots of calcium. It fits my calorie and macro goals for today, and it's delicious as well.

The point is that you should eat within your calorie and macro goals, and ignore the idiots who try to tell you why everything you eat is bad. No one food is bad. Weight gain is due to too many calories, not certain foods, fat, carbs, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, gluten, or you name it.

If you've been losing weight, obviously you're doing something right. Don't let the clowns discourage you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

this.

don't follow any "diet"...just the science and maths.

Thirded!

Plus I liked the whole "with all due respect...." bit.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks Yall! My so called friend actually went bat **** crazy on me last night. I think she might be on drugs. WACKO! Guess she is not a good source of info :)

She's probably just real hangry because all food is evil. :)
  • dzahner3
    dzahner3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump: for the mulltiple links in the links, for reading.