More questions for any LASIK people out there :)

Options
sizzle74
sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
So I am scheduled for next month, cornea permitting :) I was going to go for mono vision (100% in one and 80% in the other) to preserve some of my up close vision, but with research I have found that I don't think that would be a good decision for me. I am pretty OCD about stuff and trying to adjust to that seems risky. I am 39 and can read well now with glasses or contacts on or without. Any advice out there? Anyone have 100% done in both eyes and can read up close still? How old are you if so? TIA......

Replies

• sizzle74
    Options
    Bump.......
  • sizzle74
    Options
    I had LASIK done about 5 years ago. Was corrected to 20/15 both eyes. I'm 37 now and have had no issues. Just a warning that they didn't share with me, so I'll pass it on to you: the smell of burning eyeball is not pleasant. If you can, hold your breath.

Holy burning eyeballs! :noway: I know the smell of burning skin is horribe (I work in family medicine).....but eyeblass? UGH! Thanks for the tip!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik done about six years ago and I did not smell anything - as a matter of fact I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs it. The procedure was not painful and it was over in a few moments. I have worn glasses and contacts since I was 16 and I am 52 now and if I would have known now I would have had it done long ago. It is well worth it. I opted not to go with any partial changes, but the full 100% in both eyes because I was already over 40 and having to use "readers" and the thought of having one eye have different vision than the other made me uncomfortable worrying if I would get dizzy etc... so for me it was a definite no.

Good luck!!! and if you can have someone help you for the after procedure part with the drops and meds that would be great because I remember feeling tired and resting quite a bit.

Jeanne
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had it done 3&1/2 years ago. 20/15 (at first) in both eyes but now I track closer to 20/20. At first I was "mad" about losing my ability to read small print - although at 47 the doctor said that was coming with age anyway.

Much of my near vision came back and I didn't need them to read most things - like the newspaper. The trade-off is so worth it I don't mind the old man readers (a weak 1.0 power) when I need them.

I have a friend who had it done 8 years ago who has started wearing glasses again, although much weaker than she ever wore before. I think I would have it done again if I needed glasses full time - that's how much I love having it.

Good luck!
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I am glad I researched the mono vision so I got better understanding of it! I don't feel I will do well with that and I really could have 7-10 years until I need readers with 100% correction. :)