Weight lifting - love at first sight or took some time?

Options
i just started lifting 2 weeks ago and i'll be honest so far i HATE it! i dread it every day, its so hard and so painful and im SOOO SORE!! i dont plan on quitting though because the prize is far too great to give up on but i was just wondering if anyone else didnt ike it at first and if it gets better over time?

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    What do your workouts include (lift, sets, reps)?
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I first started with weights (doing CLX), I thought it was just ok. I love doing them now though, my friend is a trainer and she writes me up a workout every day. :smile:
    Yes, it's tough and hard but I love it.
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I liked it at first, but I started to love it as I got stronger and was able to do more. It's addictive to lift heavy and after a while that soreness makes you feel like an animal. I've started making goals that drive me, like clean xxx lbs or squat xxx. Curls can be monotonous, but compound lifts are intoxicating. If you aren't doing compounds, I'd suggest a session or two with a trainer to learn safe and proper form.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    love at first sight, cardio stinks!!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Pretty much love at first lift. I still hate bicep curls (and pretty much refuse to do them regularly), but I love my compound lifts (particularly squats).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    VERY SORE the first weeks. Any new area that got worked was really sore. After that there was soreness, but nothing like those first weeks!
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I hated it at first and was always resistant when my significant other tried to get me to do weights with him, then I got used to it and got stronger and more familiar with it and I didn't totally mind it, then it started to click and I saw improvement and felt stronger and more confident with the weights and I loved it, now I'm addicted lol
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with Stronglifts 5 x 5 and the first 2-3 wks I wasnt impressed at all, I too was sore, hungrier than normal, didnt feel like I was working out hard enough because I was not drenched in sweat.. but about midway 3rd wk I fell in love, after 10 wks lost 18 inches!!

Good for you for sticking with it... I now prefer lifting over long boring cardio sessions!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    VERY SORE the first weeks. Any new area that got worked was really sore. After that there was soreness, but nothing like those first weeks!

this is typical when lifting heavy... "hit by a train" or "stomped by a gang" is how i describe it... doesnt last long

DOMS.. google it...
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    loved it! i was stuck in southern california..homesick like crazy. it was the closest thing to doing farmwork i could find..minus the whole putting food on the table part. find some goals. going up in weight on squats/deadlifts. you're bound to like it a little bit
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It was love at first rep. I hate cardio !!!!
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Love at first lift for me. You wrote you dread it every day. Does that mean you lift every day? If so, that may be why you hate it. If you're doing heavy compound lifting, you really should only lift every OTHER day. Your muscles need the time to recover, which may be key in helping you with the soreness.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love at first rep! Love love love!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. The soreness will be less and less and you will start to see results and that will keep you going.
  • Love it. In fact,im depressed when I'm not lifting.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it off and on since highschool. I can't remember.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    love at first sight...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - what is your routine like? Perhaps you are over doing it or something and that is leading to your dread..?
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My first exposure to weight lifting was crossfit. I literally had never been so sore in my life nor had I ever felt so awkward trying to work out. But I stuck with it and I absolutely loved the results. I stopped doing crossfit classes and have continued lifting weights on my own. It's definitely something worth sticking with.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Love at first lift. As my dear friend Darwin pointed out; there's something about knowing you can get rid of a dead body if you need to- even a fat one.