Advice please! Gym member needing help...

Options
Hello all! Now I know I could just ask someone at the gym i go too, but that costs money that I just don't have.

I have been going 5-6 times a week at the gym - i do cardio and weights (or the ellipitcal trainer).

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for what would be the best resume to lose belly fat?

Most of my excess weight is there, and I'm finding a hard time losing weight there. I'm losing cms (ive started to measure myself because the scales haven't budged for a while) - but I'm starting to lose confidence.

Studying is nearly over for me and I have 2 months before i go on my summer holiday and I just want to feel good about myself.
Any advice is greatly appreciate.

Just something I could go by daily to see faster results. I really don't believe my diet is the problem, i'm just probably doing the same routines too often etc...

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's nothing you can to do "target" your tummy.

What kind of weight-lifting are you doing?
  • hollydesade_
    Options
    I've been doing alot of reading and most say stick to running and the elliptical trainer...which i may just have to do more intensely perhaps. I honestly just do the machines at the gym which target different areas - or i do Pump classes. I do alot of tricep and bicep too. I'm pretty much a newbie with the weights and everything - !
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat clean.
  • links_slayer
    Options
    Eat clean.

oh jesus.....

eating "clean" isn't a requirement to get a 6-pack.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been doing alot of reading and most say stick to running and the elliptical trainer...which i may just have to do more intensely perhaps. I honestly just do the machines at the gym which target different areas - or i do Pump classes. I do alot of tricep and bicep too. I'm pretty much a newbie with the weights and everything - !

I heard once that if you're reading while working out, you're not working out hard enough. The only time I read while working out was when I was in school. Sometimes, reading was the priority, so I worked out with really low intensity, which was better than just reading on the couch. Ditch the reading and push hard!
  • links_slayer
    Options
    You should look into doing some compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, overhead (military) press, and bench press.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I heard once that if you're reading while working out, you're not working out hard enough. The only time I read while working out was when I was in school. Sometimes, reading was the priority, so I worked out with really low intensity, which was better than just reading on the couch. Ditch the reading and push hard!

Pretty sure that she wasn't actually saying that she was reading on the elliptical (a big no no in my book also).

The only way to get rid of belly fat is to continue to lose fat (notice how I didn't say weight here). The best way to do that is to eat at a moderate deficit while strength training (so that you minimise loss of muscle or lean body mass). Cardio will help you maintain your deficit but isn't strictly necessary.

Best of luck, that belly fat is stuborn and usually the last to go in most people
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat clean.

That is the best advice. I am holding most of my excess ft there as well. I am now on a diet from my nutritionist where I eat six small meals every three hours with the largest calorie wise being at lunch time. I am eating almost a gram of protein for every pound I weigh and a half a gram of carbohydrates from whole grains and vegetables for every pound. ie: I weight 157 pounds and I eat 147 grams of protein and 74 grams of carbs. I also strength train 5-6 days a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

do more reading- from real magazines and articles- not women's fitness magazines- they are complete rubbish.

do the cardio- but you need to do some weight training. it's going to seriously help you... the compound lifts mentioned are important.

squats
    bench
    overhead press
    dead lift.

go forth- and be fabulous