Running-am I doing this right???

Okay so I've been running ( or what some of you would consider jogging 12min mile) since mid-July. I completed the c25k program the first week of October and ran my first 5k on October 5th. My goal for that race wAs to not walk and I did it! So a friend said keep signing up for races so you won't stop running. So I have another 5k on November 3. Now there is a 10 k on thanksgiving that friends want me to do also, so I switched my running app to 5k to 10k and am finishing week 3. I'm still slow, I'm pretty sure I'll be up to 6 miles by thanksgiving but it will still be a slow pace. I'm wondering if I should add a 4th day of running each week and work on speed??? And if I do should I do a short fast run?? I'm pretty sore the day after my 5-10k app days but after one day of recovery I'm good again. I don't want to injure myself and ruin my running all together, but I wish I was running faster! Any suggestions???

Replies

• RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Right now, just get your mileage up. be conservative, no more than 10% increase from week to week. Speed will come later. be patient.

With a better endurance base your speed will improve. I personally wouldn't start building in specific speed days until you can comfortably run a 10k. I would strongly suggest following a training plan like your C210k. If it doesn't recommend speed, don't.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Yup, don't worry about your time at all right now (I know it's hard!). I've been running for a year and a half now. My speed is very slowly increasing. I'll likely never be fast (I'm just not built that way) but I can be faster than I am now. I completed my first 10K a year ago at around 1:14. I then trained for a half marathon successfully (albeit slowly). I'll be doing another 10K this week and hope to be under 1:10 for that. So, improvement, but still not 'fast'. And I was training for distance this year, not speed.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    What everyone else said. Distance first, then speed work. You can do intervals, fartleks, whatever, but you will only see minimal gains until your aerobic fitness has increased.
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Thank you!! I'm so proud of where I'm at from 12 weeks ago, I DEFINITELY don't want to injure myself! I'll stick with the 5-10k app and just try to be happy with just completing the program and the races!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Concentrate on distance and building endurance your speed will come. Don't worry if you have to take a short walk break, I know lots of runners that always run 10:1 even for marathons. You have to build up the base.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    there'll be plenty of other runners doing the 10k at 12mpm, and likely slower.

gradually up your miles, carry on enjoying your running, and dont worry about speed. to a large degree for newish runners speed gains happen naturally over the first year or so as mileage and fitness increase.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    There is no 'wrong' about running, you are doing it so that's brilliant. Agree with all the other comments here...

One factor that will also improve you in every area of your life (esp. Running Faster) is having strong core muscles. These are the ones that support your whole body. I would suggest that after a run or workout you do core exercises. Google it or visit runners world web page for more info. BTW: some flexibility work wouldn't hurt either :)

You can send me a friend request or message if you need more info.